Nespresso Style Coffee Pods In Bangkok

eeeya

Does anyone know if there are any other brands / type of coffee pods available in Bkk?

For example: MAP or K-fee sizes.

Currently im in Australia for a family Christmas visit and might pick up a coffee pod style machine.

Nespresso is available in bkk I know, but its kinda pricey.

Aldi and cafitally have some cheapies available. Approx 3000 baht for the machine As opposed to nespresso at 10,000baht +

Anyone been down this track before?

I have heard good reports about the one from Aldi supermarkets in OZ and is the cheapest both with machine and pods at about half the cost of Nestle. . Price the costs of getting somebody to post you your supply as opposed to buying the Nescafe ones in BKK . or take a good supply of pods back with you.

There was a comparison done in the SMH a few weeks ago, but i can't find it on Google so i can't give you the link , comparing the main four contenders .

i am uncertain as t why someone would resort to packaging heavy and overpriced nespresso coffee when a real espresso machine can be had for around th same amount you would pay for overpriced coffee over the course of the first year and throw away only grounds rather than foil, plastic and money for very limited convenience and a lower quality brew

I agree that an espresso machine make good coffee...but the capsule machines do a great job...and they are very handy. I bought a Caffitaly Nautilus Machine from www.nerocoffee.com and also the capsules for about half of the Nespresso prices. 18 baht each when you buy 100 pieces.

If one searches the web/net you can find generic little coffee brew pods - empty - washable and refillable. I have not seen these advertised as pods in the USA but I will take a look and see if I can find a link... come back and post it...

Ive researched the coffe pod market thoroughly and come to the findings that there are 4 different coffee pod sizes.

1 nespresso. Has its own pod, generally not compatable with any other machine not designed for nespresso sized pods.

There are re usable pods available on the internet.

2 cafitally. Seems to be rebranded MAP coffee machines. Not compatable with nespresso pods. Can only use cafitally, MAP pods and aldi pods with a pin hole in the bottom.

Pods are able to be re used with some foil. Instructions available on the internet.

3 K Fee. In australia this has been re branded xpressi and sold at aldi stores.

Cafitally pods fit but not perfect.

4 Dolce gusto. Not compatable with anything else.

There are others that use coffee bags eg lavazza but I havnt looked into this at all.

The only thing I can't resesrch is what is available at Emporium or Paragon in Bkk other than nespresso machines and pods.

The price difference between the Nespresso machines and the others is huge. I doubt the quality of coffee made will match the price so I'm swinging towards a Cafitally / MAP machine.

After you choose which brand of pod coffee maker you buy ... I bet you will be able to find refillable capsules/pods on the Internet. Here is part of an article I found on the net ...

The Keurig has found success in the US while the higher priced Nespresso has struggled, owing to Keurig's speed and ease of use in producing a high quality cup of coffee more appealing for American consumption, rather than the “European” coffees that Nespresso recreates. Combine this with the licensing agreements between Keurig and many popular specialty coffee brands like Caribou, Starbucks, and Dunkin' Donuts, and

US consumers

can use the machines to recreate the on-trade experience and thereby give a perception of quality at lower price points. Furthermore, once GMCR's K cup patents expire in September 2012, more coffee roasters will make pods for Keurig machines, thereby driving prices further down and making the product more accessible to consumers.

I bought the Caffitaly machine. I tried to re-pack the capsules with some BonCafe Espresso Coffee. I tried with one layer of foil, and with two. No comparision with the Italian coffee I buy for 18 baht. I tried, but unless someone can find a way to make it taste better, I have given up on re-cycling my capsules. I am open to suggestions. Maybe it's the coffee...the grind....the ???

I bought the Caffitaly machine. I tried to re-pack the capsules with some BonCafe Espresso Coffee. I tried with one layer of foil, and with two. No comparision with the Italian coffee I buy for 18 baht. I tried, but unless someone can find a way to make it taste better, I have given up on re-cycling my capsules. I am open to suggestions. Maybe it's the coffee...the grind....the ???

Have you opened an unused pod of your favorite coffee to see the type of grind and color? I suspect it is a very fine grind. If so this would make the pod coffee maker work similar to the French Press manual coffee maker - pushing water through a confined space. A fine grind would allow the water to pass over more particles of coffee extracting more flavor and less oils

Edited by JDGRUEN

Here is a link to refillable coffee cups for the Nespresso machine.

Brilliant idea and very cheap in comparison to the normal standard nespresso cups. What I understand is that you only have to buy your own grinded espresso coffee, locally or online and fill the cups yourself.

I'm going to try it! (they deliver worldwide -except a few countries-)

http://www.coffeeduck.com/en

and this is the way it works:

Edited by LaoPo

• 4 months later...

I've seen another compatible pod for nespresso at central (pattaya) and cdc in bkk.

I bought refillable pods at cdc.

After messing about with them I found the coffe a bit hit and miss and gave up.

These days I just stock up on pods when overseas.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I tried to refil the pods with lavazza espresso coffee from tops.

Came out either too weak if packed too loosely or machine pump cut out if packed too tight.

If your going to stuff around like that you may as well just buy a manual machine.

I also tried to refill the used nespresso pods. Ok if your desparate. But substandard compared to new nespresso pods.

There was a compatible filled coffee pod at central but the price was nearly the same as genuine nespresso. Why bother.

In summary, I tried everything and came back to nespresso.

Search youtube or google for info and vids on refilling pods etc.

CDC Crystal design center

• 1 month later...

Cafecaps is a new brand of coffee capsule that you can find in Bangkok. We are the cheapest to provide coffee machine and the Capsule that goes with it. Cafecaps capsule are FAP compatible so it work with Lavaza point machine.

Machines are at 3990 THB for the manual and 4990 THB for the automatic one.

Cafecaps has a range of 6 coffee with Thai coffee and Imported coffee. A box of 10 + 2 free capsules is only 240 THB. Unbeatable price !

Cafecaps is also developing Nespresso compatible capsule which would be sold at the best price you can find in Bangkok which is between 20 and 22 bath per capsule !

Here is Cafecaps website : www.cafecaps.asia. Don't hesitate to come to our showroom in Thonglor (address in "Contact us") to taste the coffee and see our range of products.