Surfer Fights Off Shark Attack Off Australia's East Coast, Loses Finger

News_Editor

Top ten recorded shark attack deaths by species at URL below.

Bull Shark unprovoked attacks on 82 humans, killing 25 people

Great White unprovoked attacks on 237 humans, killing 65 people

So roughly the same kill ratios of attacks causing death

http://www.top10stop...ssive-predators

Sorry, this is bad info. I live in Bull Shark capital of the world, Florida. On a stretch of east coast between Jackson and Palm Beach, particularly NSB with highest rate of attacks, we have a lot of Bull Shark attacks with very few leading to deaths. Most are just minor hits. You are dealing with bad info. Just check out highest shark attack beaches, but almost zero deaths. I can quote you Bullshark deaths in last 20 years in US if you like. I would sat less than one percent die from Bullshark hits, although they are very aggressive and more prevalent than white sharks.

http://oceana.org/en...tack-statistics

Figures are recorded worldwide attacks, but nearly the same stats from the Florida Museum of Natural History, or do you wish to also argue their numbers?

http://www.flmnh.ufl...cs/species3.htm

Haha, if you want to believe Bullshark attacks are as deadly as whiteshark attacks so be it. But it ain't true. You are dealing with confirmed attack statics. I am dealing with reality. Haha, if you thing a five bill shark is as vicious as as 20 foot great white, that us your prerogative.

I cited figures that said 1 out of 110 dies from Bullshark in Florida.

Seems the average size of a bull shark in Florida is quite small, a bull shark caught Australia was 2.8 meters in length, it's illegal in Australia to catch any bull shark over 1.5 meters in length i.e. around 5 feet. BTW full grown female bull shark size is average 2.4 m (7.9 ft) long

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/bull-shark-caught-in-creek-15km-inland-from-noosa/440311/

Seriously, your knowledge is limited to you ability to google. My knowledge is predicated upon 37 years of surfing and know perhaps 100s of marine biologists who have studied sharks their whole life and ask, the people commonly in the water with them, how they act. Please, stop reading Google and thinking wow I am an expert.

Seriously, your knowledge is limited to you ability to google. My knowledge is predicated upon 37 years of surfing and know perhaps 100s of marine biologists who have studied sharks their whole life and ask, the people commonly in the water with them, how they act. Please, stop reading Google and thinking wow I am an expert.

It ain't Google but respected marine institute figures - over & out...

Dude, cite and discus it. I would be willing to bet I have had more friends than you bit by either bullsharks or white sharks.

Bullsharks are pissy and will hit you in cloudy water if you bother them, but their bites will only remove flesh or fingers. Great whites will generally remove large chinks of torso.

Dude, cite and discus it. I would be willing to bet I have had more friends than you bit by either bullsharks or white sharks.

Bullsharks are pissy and will hit you in cloudy water if you bother them, but their bites will only remove flesh or fingers. Great whites will generally remove large chinks of torso.

last time, the stats refer to worldwide deaths by shark attack, not purely Florida where you infer the bull sharks are relatively small. A quote from a marine researcher below. However, if the bull shark attacks in Florida are as you say, average size of 5 feet, then injuries leading to death from blood loss would be less, i.e. smaller bite size, unless say bitten in the leg and severs an artery

Quoted from the URL already provided "the white, tiger and bull sharks are the "Big Three" in the shark attack world because they are large species that are capable of inflicting serious injuries to a victim, are commonly found in areas where humans enter the water, and have teeth designed to shear rather than hold. Realistically, almost any shark in the right size range, roughly six feet (1.8 meters) or greater, is a potential threat to humans because, even if a bite is not intended as a directed feeding attempt on a human, the power of the jaw and tooth morphology can lead to injury. --- George H. Burgess, ISAF

Below is an example of a fatal bull shark attack, in murky waters, near where I lived in Australia. Death from loss of blood.

http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/shark_attack/viewtopic.php?t=668

last time, the stats refer to worldwide deaths by shark attack, not purely Florida where you infer the bull sharks are relatively small. A quote from a marine researcher below. However, if the bull shark attacks in Florida are as you say, average size of 5 feet, then injuries leading to death from blood loss would be less, i.e. smaller bite size, unless say bitten in the leg and severs an artery

Quoted from the URL already provided "the white, tiger and bull sharks are the "Big Three" in the shark attack world because they are large species that are capable of inflicting serious injuries to a victim, are commonly found in areas where humans enter the water, and have teeth designed to shear rather than hold. Realistically, almost any shark in the right size range, roughly six feet (1.8 meters) or greater, is a potential threat to humans because, even if a bite is not intended as a directed feeding attempt on a human, the power of the jaw and tooth morphology can lead to injury. --- George H. Burgess, ISAF

Below is an example of a fatal bull shark attack, in murky waters, near where I lived in Australia. Death from loss of blood.

http://sharkattacksurvivors.com/shark_attack/viewtopic.php?t=668

Seriously, why argue with truth. Do you not realize I am a surfer and only interested in facts. You are offerring speculation at beat. How many times have you surfed with large sharks around you. It happens to me weekly. What do you know based on anything than what others tell you. Do you always believe what others tell you.

What is you point? Are you arguing I am wrong about massive white off Rottnest looking got human flesh.

Edited by F430murci

Seriously, why argue with truth. Do you not realize I am a surfer and only interested in facts. You are offerring speculation at beat. How many times have you surfed with large sharks around you. It happens to me weekly. What do you know based on anything than what others tell you. Do you always believe what others tell you.

What is you point? Are you arguing I am wrong about massive white off Rottnest looking got human flesh.

I am confused. Maybe I am wrong but you seem to be saying that the facts of shark attacks are as you present them, as witnessed by your years of surfing and anecdotal comments from fellow surfers? Googling for information will be wrong because you have a different view?

You say

"Do you always believe what others tell you."

Well, in this case, no wink.png

• Like 1

I am Australian.

I have surfed and dived for over 40 years.

I have personally witnessed one fatal great white attack and one non fatal bull shark attack.

I have been "buzzed" by large sharks, including great whites, tigers, bronze whalers and hammer heads more times then I care to remember.

I cringe when I hear other Australians using phrases such as massive white off Rottnest looking got human flesh.

Bogan MSN nonsense.

Statistically, you are FAR more likely to die from a bee sting than a shark attack.

So when I am preping up to paddle out into the line up, and some numpty says "Aren't you afraid of the sharks?"

I stare them in the eye and say "No... I mostly worry about bees."

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 1

@F430murci. What don't you understand? I am not arguing that Great Whites do not cause death and serious injury. I have twice provided URL links to the stats from marine research institutions and the shark species kill ratios from attacks. I have some middle aged surfer friends that go to the remote reefs off the coast of Western Australia (big reef surf at certain time of the year) and other remote surfing locations around the world nearly every year & no to date they have not been attacked. Check it out:

http://www.heronchar...westsrfing.html

FYI another URL for your research http://sharkattackfi...attack-file.asp

Edited by simple1

"Do you not realize I am a surfer and only interested in facts."

Definitely one of my favorite sentences ever to appear on Thai Visa.

(It's not often you hear THAT in a debate, 'Dude, I'm a surfer. I'm like totally logical and stuff so shut up')

Most surfers, including myself, have a deeply profound grasp of logic.

It is irrefutably demonstrated by their actions.

Rather than engaging in the entirely worthless pursuits that comprise ALL other personal endeavours...They decide to catch waves.

(It's not often you hear THAT in a debate, 'Dude, I'm a surfer. I'm like totally logical and stuff so shut up')

Rather than engaging in the entirely worthless pursuits that comprise ALL other personal endeavours...They decide to catch waves.

I've always likened it to a dog chasing cars. What are you going to do with it after you catch it?

I've always likened it to a dog chasing cars. What are you going to do with it after you catch it?

Heh.

It's about the chase. Obviously. (And as far as catching a wave, there's a lot to do with it after you catch it.)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Perth has a problem in the form of a roque man eater that has gotten multiple victims in last year or so. Bull sharks a bit easier to fend off than the big white patrolling waters in Perth area.

Ridiculous post. Complete nonsense.

Why is it ridiculous and complete nonsense?

Because there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that one single individual shark has been responsible for all of the deaths mentioned along the Western Australian coastline.

Umm, you do show the perfect example of not quitting while behind - suggestion: stop

• Like 1

Umm, you do show the perfect example of not quitting while behind - suggestion: stop

Haha, I get it. More of a posting while waiting for wife to get ready between New Years parties which started at 3:00 at work. Hazards of law firm representing musicians and music industry.

Sad part was, I think Simple and I were saying same thing . . . I apologize for my obstinance.

This a great site link below that shows deal pretty well. Bulls account for majority of attacks, but very few deaths. Most US deaths are white related, although Tigers account for several in Hawaii. A lot of US White attacks nit resulting in deaths are hits on Kayaks. Anyway, check out grids and looks by most fatalities.

BTW, when you spend as much time as I do in their habitat you generally read and learn all you can about them and a lot of my surfing buddies around the world are marine biologists. The Rottnest attacks were most likely a single shark. 3 deaths with 3 weeks in same area and even an attack on a boat during that same time frame. The other two deaths that year may or may not be related.

http://sharkattackfile.info/shark-attack-queries-general/complete-shark-attack-file.asp

Checkbout some the cluster attacks in same areas. A couple of the Etgypt kills were confirmed deaths by same shark, Oceanic with story behind though. Some of the NSB attack clusters, like 5 or 10 minor hits in a week, are interesting, but more likely schooling which is prevalent in this area at certain times of the year.

The Perth/Rottnest shark was spitting anything back out though. Even went in for seconds or rest of torso on two.

Edited by F430murci

This certainly does not sounds like a oops, mistaken identity shark bite regarding 5th Perth victim in 10 months . . .

"By the time I got out there half of him had been taken and the shark was circling," Mr Holmes said of the attack.

"I tried to lean off the side and pull him on the back, but as I did that, the shark came back and nudged the jet ski to try to knock me off.

"When I came back the second time, he took the rest of him. I just thought about his family and if he had kids. I just wanted to get him to shore. I gave it everything I had."

http://www.news.com.au/national/surfer-taken-by-shark-north-of-perth/story-fndo4e3y-1226425990874

I've also surfed & dived/snorkled in shark infested waters however I'm no expert

on shark behaviour but I have noticed some traits amongst all sharks...one is

that they're very curious and not hesitant to take a sample bite to see if what

they've just sampled suits their taste buds. I had a meter long black tip have

a nibble on my thigh once off Nias, which is off the West Coast of Sumatra,

as I was surfing. No real damage, no stitches, just 20+ perfect little punctures

on my left thigh just above the knee...and it didn't really hurt that much either

but the nibble spoiled a day of grabbing nice waves in the 8 to 12 foot size range

because to avoid a more serious bite I left the water. Had the little black tip

been larger or a different type of shark altogether I may have lost me life or

at the very least...me leg.

There's sharks in every ocean on this planet. In shallow and deep water.

They've had over 250 Million years to perfect one thing...eating...and they're

pretty dam_n good at it. However they're not the only ocean dweller that

likes to occasionally sample human flesh....

I have stop framed this clip...it's not a fake. The feller saw seals in

the water the orca's were after and he just got in the way....