Any Way To Get To Chiang Mai From Bangkok At Midnight

ShinMusashi44

I'm going to Chiang Mai in mid Jan. and it's a lot cheaper to land in Bangkok then go to Chiang Mai, $300 cheaper in fact. But my plane lands in around midnight, is there anything that can get mt to Chiang Mai around that time? I tried to look around, but seems everything stops running around midnight.

Did this myself November 2011. I saw some cheap flight to the UK and back, so I decided to take them to visit the folks. The flights were Bkk Lhr returns, so I had to get to Bkk from Cmx. Problem was that the Bkk flight was a morning flight and the return landed at night. There were no flights from Cmx to Bkk that landed early enough to get the flight out and on the return no flights out the Cmx until morning.

In both instances I just sat in Swampy all night. Actually for the return the Cmx I got a lift early the next morning from family as flights were crapped up due to flooding (remember the flood! driving out of Bkk was fun too with many of the roads closed).

There is a Thai food hall on the ground floor (cheaper and generally better than the 3rd floor tourist traps) and seating there too on which most people kip waiting for their flights.

There are some night buses/coaches by the way - if you can book them.

Nakhonchai buses start from 0715 with last one leaving at 2330

www.nca.co.th/runway.php

Sombat buses start from 0700 and last bus leaving at 2205

www.sombattour.com/html/route/18.php

Train service start from 0800 with last train leave at 2200

www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Bangkok%20to%20Chiang%20Mai

www.1stopchiangmai.com/getting_here/train/

First flight touch down in Chiangmai at 0715 by nokair DD8300 seem to be the only option, flight departure at 0605 with boarding time 0500 so just 4-5 hours wait in the airport should be your best choice. Ticket cost 1990 baht if you can book earlier on their website nokair.com

www.chiangmaiairportonline.com

Flight Carrier Origin Arrival Status Track DD 8300 Nok Air (DMK) Bangkok 7:15 AM Scheduled cell_phone_icon.png FD 3437 Thai AirAsia (DMK) Bangkok 7:46 AM Landed

ontime_icon.gifOn-time TG 710 Thai Airways International (BKK) Bangkok 8:20 AM Landed

ontime_icon.gifOn-time DD 8304 Nok Air (DMK) Bangkok 8:30 AM Scheduled cell_phone_icon.png AK 1914 AirAsia (KUL) Kuala Lumpur 8:27 AM Landed

ontime_icon.gifOn-time

For cheaper option by bus or train will be the next morning 0715 with few more hours waiting time......hope this can help and welcome to CM.

• Like 2

In the morning I am sure you can get a flight out with Thai aur of Bangkok air for under $150.

Who were you using that charges $300 That is ball park 9,000 baht.

No, I was saying the difference between landing in bkk to cm is $300. A flight to bkk from the US is close to $1000 or to land in cm from the US is close to $1300. I'd rather save the 300 and land in bkk then go to cm. Also when I want to leave all the flights straight to cm are around 60 hours, which is insane.

Change your flight from the states to a night flight and you will arrive in Bangkok daytime and no problem, or as many said enjoy Bangkok. One night in Bangkok wwill make your day

Edited by moe666

2am to 6am in Bangkok is one of the best things in Thailand! Then sleep then take a leisurly evening flight to Chiang Mai, hit the town and wish you were back in Bangkok tongue.png

Edited by SantiSuk

2am to 6am in Bangkok is one of the best things in Thailand! Then sleep then take a leisurly evening flight to Chiang Mai, hit the town and wish you were back in Bangkok tongue.png

I always like a few days in Bangkok before heading to CM

Well looks like I'm gonna have to land in bkk then fly to cm. Just so much cheaper. What I'll do is land in bkk and get a flight in the morning to cm. Another question, I want to get my cell phone unlocked. So would it be easier to get that done in bkk or cm? It's one of those pay as you go phones, I haven't even activated it yet, do I still need to get it unlocked if I haven't activated it?

Ok so plans changed again lol. A flight popped up to land in CM that comes to the same price if I was to land in bkk then go to cm. So now I'll be landing in cm and just booked the flight. I'll actually be staying in the Mae Taeng area to see a friend. So what is the best place to get my phone unlocked in cm without having to stay the night in the city. I just want to land and go straight to mae taeng.

Ok so plans changed again lol. A flight popped up to land in CM that comes to the same price if I was to land in bkk then go to cm. So now I'll be landing in cm and just booked the flight. I'll actually be staying in the Mae Taeng area to see a friend. So what is the best place to get my phone unlocked in cm without having to stay the night in the city. I just want to land and go straight to mae taeng.

If you are just coming to visit a friend buy a cheap throw away phone for use here in Thailand. I call back to the states and Canada for only 5 baht a minute and I have heard there is cheaper plans.

But it would be a good idea to get your phone unlocked. I would never buy a locked one.

If you are just coming to visit a friend buy a cheap throw away phone for use here in Thailand. I call back to the states and Canada for only 5 baht a minute and I have heard there is cheaper plans.

But it would be a good idea to get your phone unlocked. I would never buy a locked one.

I'm staying longer than 3 months

More so you should just buy a simple phone in Thailand which cost less than usd 30, can even get a new simple nokia at usd 10-20 (500-700 baht) or just a 2nd hand for 200-300 baht less than usd 10. Why all the trouble to buy lock phone and try unlock in Thailand?? crazy.gif

More so you should just buy a simple phone in Thailand which cost less than usd 30, can even get a new simple nokia at usd 10-20 (500-700 baht) or just a 2nd hand for 200-300 baht less than usd 10. Why all the trouble to buy lock phone and try unlock in Thailand?? crazy.gif

Cause I bought a new phone just to bring to Thailand lol