Usd Account In Thailand?

I will soon be starting a job in Vietnam and will be paid in USD. I presently have a current account in the UK in GBP and have the option of opening a USD 'holding' account (non-interest bearing) with them. I would like to hold onto this account as I am a long time customer and they have arranged large overdrafts when needed and other facilities not available to short timers. The purpose of the USD account, as I understand it, would be simply to be a receptacle for monthly USD salary payments and to transfer funds into the GBP account when needed (cash card is to the GBP account, no cash card for the USD account).

I have a non-imm 'O' visa and presume that I could open a USD account with Citibank, HSBC, etc in Thailand if I choose that would give me a cash card facility and maybe a VISA card if desired.

Learned brethren...how would you advise regarding the best option (especially with regard to exchange rates - USD to GBP, USD to baht/VN dong)?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at a pamphlet and subsequent website www.scb.co.th (Siam commeercial bank) it seemed (in English) that foreign currency accounts were pretty much available subject to a couple of thousand minimum deposit.It also seemed easy to transfer money from these accounts out of Thailand. The

requirements to open such account were also listed and were not at all onerous.

Can this be true?