A Definitive Answer Please Regarding 90 Day Reporting By Post

gennisis

Recently there have been many reports on this reporting in the Chiang Mai forum.

Some say that nothing has changed in relation to reporting by post, others say that it has been changed and that postal reporting is finished and that some agents are offering a service for 1000 baht.

I have ,for the last 2 years been using the postal application,with a registered return envelope with no problems,my last being in November, so will need to report again at the end of this month.

So....???????

In the spirit of complicating the subject ....... sending your 90 day to central Imm. in BKK. is another option, last year while traveling, I went to the main Imm. web site and read to send the report to Bkk. I did this. Later I read CM people must send to CM Imm. so I sent another. When I returned to CM, I had recieved two slips, one from each office.

In the spirit of complicating the subject ....... sending your 90 day to central Imm. in BKK. is another option, last year while traveling, I went to the main Imm. web site and read to send the report to Bkk. I did this. Later I read CM people must send to CM Imm. so I sent another. When I returned to CM, I had recieved two slips, one from each office.

And in the spirit of complicating things further.....even BKK isn't consistent. My last form sent to them was returned directly back to me with a note instructing me to report to the immigration office nearest the area where I live in Isaan.

You report to the immigration office for the area where you reside. BKK-immigration was nice, but normally they just return it to you and tell you to go to CM-immigration or attach a note telling you to do so next time with CM-immigration.

......which leads me to question, what do we do when out of the province and not able to report directly, will the post stamp from the hinterlands prompt imm. to respond or will they just put it in the pile and wait for you to show up.

I just returned from Immigration now. After checking the postal tracking since late November, I realized I would never get the new appointment slip back by post. I psyched myself up for it today. When I got there at 11:00, the place was packed. I got lucky and found a car pulling out of the lot next-door. I believe it was the only parking spot available. There were about 5 or 6 cars parked in the red out front; some were chained together by the wheels while others had boots attached. Who on earth would park in the red out in front of Immigration???

Anyway once I got inside it was total chaos in there. I managed to get into the queue in the middle leading to the information desk. When I got to the front I spoke to them only in Thai and explained the situation. The one guy lead me to the front of the 90-day queue of [many] people waiting for their numbers to be called. I got a couple of nasty looks from other farangs. The guy from the info desk explained the situation to the heavy-set, dark skinned guy on the right. He would only speak to me in Thai and told me that I had waited too long and must pay 2,000 Baht in order to get my passport back. I again politely explained the situation and he kept saying "post mai mee laao". At this point the other thin, tall guy with the aviator glasses jumped in and also spoke with me in Thai only, saying it was more than 30 days and I must pay 2,000 Baht. I was [politely] persistent and at that point the taller guy opened his desk drawer and there on top of the plastic folder laid my new appointment slip (issued 26 November). It was weird. Not sure why mine was laying on top out of the folder, but he warned me quite firmly that C.M Immigration no longer offers 90-day reporting by post and if I am ever late more than 7 days again to report in person, that I must pay a fine. He handed me my passport and new slip for the February report. All in all I was out of there in about 10 minutes time. It was pure luck!

Edited by elektrified

You want a definitive answer?

My suggestion is go down to Immigration and ask them.

Numerous members have been told no more mail in, and several have even been shown a big basket full of mailed in TM47 reports- that were not being returned according to the officer showing them.

Yes I agree that a basket of non actioned forms was displayed but I also understood that these envelopes were not stamped for a registered return and that the officers were annoyed with many normal posted envelopes not being delivered, therefore by default the Registered forms were dealt with.

The difference being that registered envelopes gave them no troubles.

I think I will send my form as usual 7 days before due and if not returned will visit them and make my application within 7 days of its expirey....that way at least I will know their method.....at least in theory !!

• Like 1

Numerous members have been told no more mail in, and several have even been shown a big basket full of mailed in TM47 reports- that were not being returned according to the officer showing them.

Yes I agree that a basket of non actioned forms was displayed but I also understood that these envelopes were not stamped for a registered return and that the officers were annoyed with many normal posted envelopes not being delivered, therefore by default the Registered forms were dealt with.

The difference being that registered envelopes gave them no troubles.

I think I will send my form as usual 7 days before due and if not returned will visit them and make my application within 7 days of its expirey....that way at least I will know their method.....at least in theory !!

Wrong. My envelope (which was handed back to me) had the registered sticker and postage for registered post affixed. You MUST appear in person now.

I have updated the pinned topic with this 2nd confirmation now.

http://www.thaivisa....ort-procedures/

What is odd is that even the Immigration Staff acknowledge that the CM Immigration Office is no longer fit for purpose. So why would they make life even more difficult for themselves by abolishing 90 day reporting by post?. Mind you in the other office to the left you will find half a dozen staff with nothing to do! My solution to the problem, as I could see no reason for being in Immigration at 06.00 just to report, was to get a letter from the embassy saying I had moved to the wife's address in Nakhon Phanom, then translated into Thai. Sent all the papers to Nakhon Phanom with EMS reply envelope. Slip came by return. Had to do this as my visa extensions are from CM immigration. Will all no doubt be a problem and require more letters if I want a year visa extension in CM in 9 months!

In Thailand there is no definate answer.blink.png Sadly to say, even the staff from the same organisation will give different answers. Welcome to Thailand!giggle.gif

• Like 1

I just returned from Immigration now. After checking the postal tracking since late November, I realized I would never get the new appointment slip back by post. I psyched myself up for it today. When I got there at 11:00, the place was packed. I got lucky and found a car pulling out of the lot next-door. I believe it was the only parking spot available. There were about 5 or 6 cars parked in the red out front; some were chained together by the wheels while others had boots attached. Who on earth would park in the red out in front of Immigration???

Anyway once I got inside it was total chaos in there. I managed to get into the queue in the middle leading to the information desk. When I got to the front I spoke to them only in Thai and explained the situation. The one guy lead me to the front of the 90-day queue of [many] people waiting for their numbers to be called. I got a couple of nasty looks from other farangs. The guy from the info desk explained the situation to the heavy-set, dark skinned guy on the right. He would only speak to me in Thai and told me that I had waited too long and must pay 2,000 Baht in order to get my passport back. I again politely explained the situation and he kept saying "post mai mee laao". At this point the other thin, tall guy with the aviator glasses jumped in and also spoke with me in Thai only, saying it was more than 30 days and I must pay 2,000 Baht. I was [politely] persistent and at that point the taller guy opened his desk drawer and there on top of the plastic folder laid my new appointment slip (issued 26 November). It was weird. Not sure why mine was laying on top out of the folder, but he warned me quite firmly that C.M Immigration no longer offers 90-day reporting by post and if I am ever late more than 7 days again to report in person, that I must pay a fine. He handed me my passport and new slip for the February report. All in all I was out of there in about 10 minutes time. It was pure luck!

There goes their 2000 baht coffee $$$!cheesy.gif

All for a 90 day report, what a farce that place is.

Not to worry, according to many posters you can breeze in and out in 5 minutes. Just a matter of timing. wink.pngwink.png

All for a 90 day report, what a farce that place is.

Not to worry, according to many posters you can breeze in and out in 5 minutes. Just a matter of timing. wink.pngwink.png

I would have to say that my timing (and luck) was nothing short of amazing considering the amount of people that were there I still got in and out in about 10 minutes time with no queue card.wink.png

There goes their 2000 baht coffee $$$!cheesy.gif

There are a lot of funny things in Thailand and peculiar ways that the system works here, but today they were not joking (nor smiling) one bit at all. They were very serious about people showing up in person for their 90-day reports and that the grace period is only 7 days after the due date. No more reporting by post.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

I think we have the definitive answer now to the OP's query.....

Well, I have to agree with you.From these recent posts it does seem that postal applications are no longer.'Which,of course means that more people will help to overcrowd the immigration ofrfice. Which, I suppose could be argued, that it shows how popular a visit to immigration is !!!

But only for Chiang Mai Immigration, right? (The rest of us around the country are reading this with dread).

Meanwhile, my nearest immigration office allows me to do mine by post.

Note to self: In addition to the annual inability to breath the air, now a user-unfriendly immigration office is a warning about even thinking of moving to CM. whistling.gif

But only for Chiang Mai Immigration, right? (The rest of us around the country are reading this with dread).

Note to self: In addition to the annual inability to breath the air, now a user-unfriendly immigration office is a warning about even thinking of moving to CM. whistling.gif

Yes that is correct. The Immigration Officer made it clear to me that this was a Chiang Mai Immigration policy only.

They used to be very user-friendly. But based on what I witnessed yesterday with all those people in a tiny, hot room and complete chaos, it was apparent by the look on everyone's faces who work there that they under complete stress and could snap at any moment.

Edited by elektrified

Don't be put off, the immigration officers here work really hard and go out of their way to help people.

• Like 1

......which leads me to question, what do we do when out of the province and not able to report directly,

We are not supposed to roam around the country. We should obviously only stay at our designed address. sad.png

Joking aside, that's what they'd prefer, and indeed, by law one should notify immigration/police if away from normal abode for more than 24 hours (checking into hotels probably counts). If you're away for months at a time, short of setting yourself up with the Assist gig, would probably be best to fly out or bounce borders--either of those options being more tempting than getting gassed by CM's finest. whistling.gif

Come on down!

Let's play another game of guess what's new and surprising at CM immigration today.

.....and when you find out, let the people who work there know. wink.png

Can someone please confirm whether or not it is correct that CM immigration no longer accept a written 90 day's report application, if this is the case then we must of course appear again and queue up.