Red Plate Restrictions

richsilver

yes.........

It's some time since these offences were re-classified as misdemeanours.

What this seems to mean is that it's an excuse for the BiB to stop you and then 'fine' you for being 'farang with a new car', make sure you fill in the red plate log book with your journey details and have a suitable number of red pictures of His Majesty readily available.

Chonburi - BKK does seem to be a regular tea-gathering ground for Khun Plod, we drove to Ayutthaya several times on BKK red plates with no issues even when stopped at assorted checkpoints.

if you have Chonburi plates and are planning to drive to BKK, make sure to fill in your brown book. After 6PM you are a sitting duck for the BiB.

If you have BKK plates, no need to fill in the book when driving out of BKK.

• Like 1

if you have Chonburi plates and are planning to drive to BKK, make sure to fill in your brown book. After 6PM you are a sitting duck for the BiB.

I confirm... Never was stopped in or out of BKK with BKK red plates.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

From what I remember we got red plates so we could go out of the province where we live.

As for the night time only remember being told not allowed on tollways.

You are not supposed to drive your car on red plates after 6 PM. Not on tollways not on normal roads. However, this law is almost never enforced.

• Like 1

I don't know what you mean by the "brown book".

If you didn't receive your log book from the dealer there is a chance you are using either fake plates or plates which aren't registered by the dealer.

I suggest you contact the dealer for your log book.

I live in Chonburi but purchased my pickup in BKK (So BKK plates). never had an issue with the BiB and that included many trips to BKK and back at various times of the day and night, I had my reds for 4 months.

Watch out for the fake red plates, you can tell if they are false as there should be a crest or stamp in the bottom right hand corner. Traveled yesterday in new car with false plates, but have a letter from the Garage to give to the cops.

Bit of a sh*t thing that plates take too long, not like in Germany where you get them as soon as you lose them from a shop, who then take them to get officially certified.

Anyone have experience drinving throughout Thailand on Chiang Mai red plates?

Maybe it's better to buy in BKK.

I have with Phuket plates, no problem at all, and I passed several checkpoints without any problem.

I would recommend though to avoid the tollways, they are notorious for police checks, and especially for police trying to do anything they can to cost you some money.

• Like 1