Why Do Fuel Companies Not Supply Benzine 91?

rene123

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my Vespa PX 150 about 2 month ago and heard about the plan to stop benzine 91. Then my thaifriend told me,

it will be still available in 2013, dunno were he got this information from. And still no problem to get ot. We will see...

One time I fill my tank with gasohol 91 by mistake and next morning the engine not start. So cannot use for 2 stroke I think, at least not for my Vespa

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that petrol is no longer avaialable in Thailand and the only option is gasohol? How is that going work for all the older vehicles (usually owned by the poor and some big bikes) that will not run on gasohol? This can't be right, what idiot government would do that?

Me thinks the government will have a lot of compensating to do when millions of vehicles conk out. Ethanol is nasty stuff for carbs.

Well a lot of discussion about various vehicles. What about all the small farm machinery. Two stroke weed whackers, backpack sprayers, etc. Or other carbureted four stroke small engine machines that specify benzine and specifically warn against gasohol (like my older Honda engine rototiller)? I guess we are just screwed huh? Can this be real?

One time I fill my tank with gasohol 91 by mistake and next morning the engine not start. So cannot use for 2 stroke I think, at least not for my Vespa

Same same with four-stroke carb. Trouble starting and just runs like crud... might as well get on the laokhao and piss in the tank!

I know it's been on the cards, but it is just one irresponsible move after another by a rubbish 'government'.

• Like 1

If I was selling gasoline engine farm equipment, I would be rubbing my hands in anticipation of massive sales.

We have 3 motorcycles and assorted other machines that will become scrap if the government really follows through with this.

And I won't hold my breath for any compensation.

Last week at the SHELL station on road 108 ( between Airport Plaza and Makro ) I could get the benzine 91.

I do not know if they will get more when the station tanks are empty.

There is a ESSO station too in the same area that you may check.

Avoid PTT and Bangchack ( state enterprises ) as they should not have benzine 91 left any more.

That might be the reason why a week ago I saw several pickups filling plastic tanks with Benzine 91 fuel. I hadn't heard that the government was stopping it. My best guess is someone in high places is getting a kick back from someone who wants to manipulate the system.

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that petrol is no longer avaialable in Thailand and the only option is gasohol? How is that going work for all the older vehicles (usually owned by the poor and some big bikes) that will not run on gasohol? This can't be right, what idiot government would do that?

The usa did it about 40 years ago, imppssible to get gas that is not at least 10% ethanol now

Duh....

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

The usa did it about 40 years ago, imppssible to get gas that is not at least 10% ethanol now

Duh....

this got to be the biggest load of crap i had read today blink.png

Despite all the assurances from govt. that ethanol is ok, Honda Australia doesn't seem to agree - not recommended even for modern machinery (although they may use it) - from www.hondampe.com.au

"Can I use ethanol fuel in my Honda product?

E10 ethanol fuel can be used with Honda Marine and Power Equipment, and also motorcycles produced after 1990, although it is not recommended. Â

It’s important to know:

1. Ethanol Fuel can damage paintwork - Take care not to spill when refuelling, and promptly wipe off any spill.

2. Rubber Fuel System Parts may become degraded more quickly.

3. Depending on weather, and the condition of the motorcycle, driveability may be adversely affected.

4. For marine applications it’s best to speak to the boat builder. There will be issues with certain fuel tanks (aluminium and fibreglass) as well as hoses and other fuel line components.

Use of higher ethanol grade fuels may cause running and/or performance issues. If an engine failure occurs and a higher ethanol grade fuel has been used then repairs will not be covered by the Honda limited warranty."

www.hondampe.com.au

Duh....

Oh my godlaugh.png

For your information (and please do your research if you are still confused) the US started using ethanol in the 70's because of OPEC.

Today, it is virtually impossible to find fuel with less than 10% ethanol:

Most of the gasoline now sold has some ethanol in it, but the exact amount in the gasoline you buy varies by region. In general it will not exceed 10% by volume. Gasoline with 10% ethanol content by volume is called E10 and with 15% ethanol is called E15. E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

All gasoline vehicles can use E10, but currently you need a light-duty vehicle with a model year of 2001 or greater to use E15, and a "flex-fuel" vehicle to use gasoline with an ethanol content greater than E15. Most of the gasoline with more than 10% ethanol is sold in the Midwest.

Info from US energy information administration, but pleeeeeaaaase do your own research, especially before posting nonsense.

All gasoline vehicles can use E10,

Sure, but it makes those not made to run on it run like shi'ite. What the US uses is neither here nor there. There should have been a noisy campaign in place for the past several years to get people into the idea; time to offload their older vehicles or have them fixed (at the expense of the gov').

Sorry jackr, but there have been noisy campaigns for the last few years, delaying the inevitable. That's why it didn't happen till now.

The previous gov't offered huge incentives for producers to create massive quantities of ethanol from sugar cane, cassava, etc.

Then the same previous gov't backed down on eliminating 91 benzene, which was part of the plan.

We won't even discuss the "diesel fuel under 30 B" thing, which they continued even though it was bleeding PTT dry, and costing the Thai taxpayer billions.

Now, the chicken has finally come home to roost.

Get a tune up, change your sparkplugs- it is not the end of the world.

Like kilgore said, we've been running E10 for decades in the US, and although I personally think pure benzene is a better fuel, and the whole issue is a graft boondoggle to make corn farmers rich......we can live with it. smile.png

• Like 1

I bought my Vespa PX 150 about 2 month ago and heard about the plan to stop benzine 91. Then my thaifriend told me,

it will be still available in 2013, dunno were he got this information from. And still no problem to get ot. We will see...

Sorry for your issues but this is great news. If 2 stroke engines are reduced by this change we will all benefit. A single two-stroke engine produces pollution equivalent to that of 30 to 50 four-stroke automobiles. Now the under powered Tuk tuks are probably in the 100 range.

Hard to find lots of research in SE Asia but from what can be gathered from various sources, eliminating 2 stroke engines might reduce pollution by 50%(not including crop burning) in CM. For the poor, the transition to cleaner transportation will hurt financially. For us foreigners, why add to CM's already out of hand pollution? Even a well maintained 2 stroke is an awful polluting vehicle.

Don't expect 2 strokes to be gone tomorrow but by making it harder to fuel them, can't hurt. Bangkok in the recent past benefited greatly from dramatically reducing 2 stroke traffic.

Edited by siamamerican
  • Like 1

Duh....

Oh my godlaugh.png

For your information (and please do your research if you are still confused) the US started using ethanol in the 70's because of OPEC.

Today, it is virtually impossible to find fuel with less than 10% ethanol:

Most of the gasoline now sold has some ethanol in it, but the exact amount in the gasoline you buy varies by region. In general it will not exceed 10% by volume. Gasoline with 10% ethanol content by volume is called E10 and with 15% ethanol is called E15. E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

All gasoline vehicles can use E10, but currently you need a light-duty vehicle with a model year of 2001 or greater to use E15, and a "flex-fuel" vehicle to use gasoline with an ethanol content greater than E15. Most of the gasoline with more than 10% ethanol is sold in the Midwest.

Info from US energy information administration, but pleeeeeaaaase do your own research, especially before posting nonsense.

oh my god is to you and your nonsense of being impossible to get gas less than 10% ethanol in US. go google ethanol free gas station in US. even savon in ny are dispensing pure gas now. i certainly do not know how on earth you came out with that overwhelming statement.

and please. use your own words to your ignorant self. pleeeaaassee do your own research especially before posting absolute garbage statements such as impossible to find gas below 10% ethanol. what a total load of crap

Edited by barefoot1988

Well, under the previous gov't, as well as the current gov't...they thought to promote ethanol as a fuel additive.

Reduce by some small amount the imported oil bill.

It was put on the back burner for a few years under the previous gov't.

Then after all the businesses that had geared up to produce ethanol as fuel started to snivel , they finally caved in, after there was a glut of ethanol on the market, that couldn't be exported economically.

Really, it it not such a big deal, as long as you don't run E10 in an old vehicle (pre-1995) or a 2-stroke motorcycle.

There is a loss of power in small (especially carburated) scooters, as well as slightly poorer fuel economy (Km/l).

If you own a newer vehicle with fuel injection, electronic mapping and sensors, the ECU will compensate for the fuel difference.

My personal suggestion is that if you can't find 91 benzene for your bike, go with 95 gasohol.

That is the second choice recommended for my bike (CBR 250) in the owners manual.

For newer cars, not so much an issue. See above re: fuel mapping, ECU and sensors.

I've been running 91 gasohol in my Brio, and I got 24.76 km/l on a very fast trip over mountains to CR, with air con on, and passing everything in sight.

(That's not a typo. 520 km, 21 liters of 91 gasohol).

I use E20 as suggested by Honda for our Brio and like you the fuel economy is AWESOME cheap as chips

Just read that Honda Australia does not recommend E20 but Honda CM told us to use it Hmmmm maybe 91 Gasahol might be better will have to give it a try but clearwith Honda first for warranty

Edited by DiamondKing

The disclaimer on the pump @ all stations says up to 10%, so all cars have to (and are able to ) take it. That is the point. Please stop trying to move off topic.

And talking about petrol in USA is on topic?

When an assertion that thailand is the only country in the world to add ethanol to all commercially sold gasoline is made, then i would say yes, it is on topic

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Sorry jackr, but there have been noisy campaigns for the last few years, delaying the inevitable. That's why it didn't happen till now.

Get a tune up, change your sparkplugs- it is not the end of the world.

lol I think there's a bit more to it than that mc.

The point I was trying to make is that more should have been done to inform at the grassroots level that, while the fuel will change, you may need to have your vehicle sorted as damage is likely. I bet if you were to ask 10 Thais, 9 wouldn't know <deleted> you were talking about. They will thus be bunging gasohol in their tank unawares and will have a nice surprise. In comparison, it was likely the Great Polluter ensured people were in-the-know and that all vehicles sold prior to any cut-off date would have had to be in-spec. Here, it wouldn't surprise me to see the main dealers still selling old-spec'd bikes. Criminal.

Edited by jackr

All the main dealers are selling new bikes and cars with fuel injection, engine sensors and ECU's that compensate for the new fuel.

Yeah, it is a hardship for those still using Vespas and NSR 2-stroke bikes, as well as older model cars. And high performance vehicles.

I'm not heartless about this, I think the gov't decision should be loosened somewhat.

Let certain distributors continue to sell 91 or 95 pure benzene, for those using these vehicles.

But I'm not holding my breath on this one.

There is a huge glut of ethanol that isn't being used.

No one wants to buy ethanol mix fuel for the above mentioned.

When push comes to shove, the business entities that have produced these zillions of gallons of unused ethanol, will win out over Somchai and his weed wacker.

I can say that today 09/012/13 if you need benzine91 come to my station,

i have it' plenty, but yes it will stop soon,

we as in thailand will have gasohol 91-green in color, benzine 91 is/was yellow

benzine 95 and gasohol 95 still available and will be available together with all your diesels

older motobikes may have carburator issues when changing from benzine to gasohol.

FI motobikes will be fine,

as for gasohol eating rubber seal/ i think that is your clueless moo baan mechanics idea of it,(the one whom dont know what ethanol is or what 91 means.

• Like 1

as for gasohol eating rubber seal/ i think that is your clueless moo baan mechanics idea of it,(the one whom dont know what ethanol is or what 91 means.

Not sure what you are saying as ethyl alcohol (ethanol) in gasohol can damage (dissolve) natural (organic) rubber parts, including the hoses and diaphragms. Neoprene, silicon or similar artificial rubbers are not an issue.