20% More Drunk Drivers This New Year's Holidays: Thailand

webfact

The BiB do indeed stick that thing right in your face very aggressively. They have also been known to pretend you scored a reading over the limit but refuse to show you the evidence. Then it's pay up what the bastard asks or take your chances arguing the toss with the officer who may fake a second reading. The judge will always accept the evidence provided by corrupt police in such cases.

Fine should be 100,000 bath , if you want to fight with success take where it hurts .... in wallets ... I know its hard to do when almost all police is corrupted ...

Even B100,000 is chickenfeed to the really wealthy like Mr Red Bull. But if you took their car, sold it at auction with 10% to the arresting officer, there would be an equal deterrent to all social levels (I believe they do something similar with fines based on taxable income in some Scandinavian countries). It would also make it incumbent on truck and bus companies to choose their employees very carefully. Corrupt BIB will always be a problem but the deterrent will still be there as backhanders demanded approach the pay-off for making an arrest.

Revenue raised could be used for driver education, hospitals and road improvements. As well, unroadworthy vehicles be either scrapped or repaired before sale, improving the national car fleet.

Ozmick, I usually like your posts as they are sensible and balanced. You lost the plot here though. This is Thailand, not Oz. I could be wrong here however I thought that only Singapore scrapped cars over 10 years old unless you paid for a new COE which is hardly worth it unless you own a really expensive vehicle.

Ummm - I was referring to cars seized from DUI drivers. Without any reference to back it, it seems that those who spend most of their income on alcohol also drive the worst deathtrap vehicles that I see on the roads.

If just four or five more testing stations had been set up nationwide over the period the figure might have doubled or tripled. So the figures do not give an indication of, well, anything whatsoever.

Spot on, the figures only reflect those who were actually processed. No way to assess the amount who handed over cash on the spot and were allowed to go, so much for road safety