American Expat Found Dead In Nong Khai Home

webfact

Most of the expats I know who retired here are not really interested with integrating into Thai society.

They have their farang friends and they are happy with that.

They play golf, drink and chat with their mates.

They realise they have nothing in common with most Thais and have no interest in mixing with working class Thais.

Most dont speak thai and are not interested in learning thai.

Frankly I think they may be better of than those that hang around looking for approval from Thais who are almost invariably of lower social status but of course feel they are better than the farang.

A very accurate view in my opinion. The farangs who move upcountry seems to be the saddest ones, as they attempt to attain Thainess but of course never succeed. The ones I know in Pattaya that lead a sort of parallel existence seem to be having a great time. Great weather, great food, and stunning women everywhere. What is not to like ?? Not sure what to think about this guy. Maybe he was living the dream in his eyes, but certainly not in my eyes. RIP.

Yep all of the guys I am talking about live in Pattaya.

I could think of nothing worse than going into social isolation in Nakhon nowhere.

Certainly most Thais cannot understand why a farang would move to the boonies where he is socially isolated. Turn the tables and that would be a death sentence for you average Thai.

Some how you know what most thais think? I don't think the thais of pattaya are average thais!

Sent from my stupid phone galaxy 2

Edited by tomjerry
  • Like 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the U.K many men die alone,their corpses are found six months later when the baliffs call to collect the unpaid utilities bill. Most councils in sea side towns,full of retirees, employ one person who's sole occupation is to go and arrange buriles of deceased old folks who have nobody at all to make their arrangements.

No matter where in the world you spend your twilight days,there is no guarantee that you will have somebody by your side.

I have never understood why the elderly are not encouraged to be ,drug mules,land mine clearance nco's,suicide bombers,that way you will go out with a bang.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is so good about a community feeling?

It stops people laying dead on the floor for 10 days over New Year that's what communities are all about.

IMHO.

I knew a Ronnie from the US who lives there can someone tell me if he was an ex Vietnam vet and has lived there for many years ?

I'm sure anyone living alone here has had this thought before.

How long would it be before someone knocked on my door looking for me.

I'm active online, I have work every morning, and the girl I'm dating would expect a call sooner or later... but how long until someone physically knocked on my door. That's a little frightening.

That reminds me, I nee to make more friends in Bangkok. Heh.

More friends?

No offense, only my thoughts to the 'lost and late found' thing!

Sounds your 'friends', till now, are only people, you kill time with.

If you had some people, you really can call friends, you wouldn't have to think about, how long it would need, to find you.

2-3 days, tops! Important, anyway, only in case, you are still alive and helpless! Can save lives.

The problem, not only in LoS, how many of the so called 'friends' are only 'people to see, instead of being alone'?

I call this people acquaintances, in best case.

Any real interest, to share with your 'friends?' Beside the need, to talk rubbish over a couple of beers? Or playing pool, squash, tennis, golf, to kill time?

Anyone, you really can trust, in case you need help?

That's the problem, most 'friends' these days, aren't what the word suggest.

And to expect it to be more in a foreign country, than it is in your home country, very rose tinted glasses!

The need, to talk with someone in your own language doesn't make this someone to a friend!

And the group of people, to recruit friends of, is getting smaller, every day of your life.

The group of people, you have only the 'time killing' in common, instead is getting bigger and bigger.

Just my2cent

btw: mail/sms/voicemail contact, with real friends, answered in always the same time slot (next morning/max.24/48h's) makes real friends think about, why you did not answer, like usual.

Because they think about, why you aren't doing, what you re usually doing!

Acquaintances looking around, and turning to the next one, asking you two weeks later, where you have been.

"Oh, Dengue, two weeks in hospital? Yeah I thought, that's strange, you aren't here, for the pool. But ............!

R.i.P

• Like 1

You're telling me Para, I once thought I was part of a community, but after some years here that illusion has gone. I now know I'm part of nothing, and I curse the day I ever set foot in this place. If I only knew then what I know now. And the rest of you, don't tell me to go home. I can't anymore, and on top of that, it seems that I've soiled myself. Now if you will all excuse me!

My condolences to Ronnie's friends and family, let's all hope that someone, somewhere has been truly affected by his untimely passing.

mate u r not robinson crusoe ...i know dozen like u ...hope life gets better for u ...just had a mate who has spent the last ten years here trying to help his wife and extended family ...all the dough is gone and nothing to show for it ...now the family treat him openly with contempt ... he cant go home ...nothing to go back to ....the dream can quickly turn to a nightmare ....
  • Like 2

I'm sure anyone living alone here has had this thought before.

How long would it be before someone knocked on my door looking for me.

I'm active online, I have work every morning, and the girl I'm dating would expect a call sooner or later... but how long until someone physically knocked on my door. That's a little frightening.

That reminds me, I nee to make more friends in Bangkok. Heh.

btw: mail/sms/voicemail contact, with real friends, answered in always the same time slot (next morning/max.24/48h's) makes real friends think about, why you did not answer, like usual.

Because they think about, why you aren't doing, what you re usually doing!

Acquaintances looking around, and turning to the next one, asking you two weeks later, where you have been.

"Oh, Dengue, two weeks in hospital? Yeah I thought, that's strange, you aren't here, for the pool. But ............!

R.i.P

I would add, if you are sick, I don't mean a cold, but something that really stops your routine. Let friends know. It might just save your life. Even if the doc has told your wife it's only....

All this talk of community and someone just mentioned the fact that this man was a Vietnam veteran. Most of those guys suffer from PTA - post traumatic stress association. They don't even want to be around people. They avoid people. There's still a lot of them roaming the Oregon woods down in big foot country. You can't expect that type to be having tea parties with the ol' bitty next door.

All this talk of community and someone just mentioned the fact that this man was a Vietnam veteran. Most of those guys suffer from PTA - post traumatic stress association. They don't even want to be around people. They avoid people. There's still a lot of them roaming the Oregon woods down in big foot country. You can't expect that type to be having tea parties with the ol' bitty next door.

Most of them? A bit of an overstatement.

There's a generation that grew up with movies and books that created and perpetuated the stereotype -- sometimes aided by veterans who may not even have seen combat (as many in Vietnam did not) but wanted the attention or sympathy -- of a mentally damaged Vietnam Vet. The fact is almost certainly that the majority of them, just as vets did after every war throughout time, came home and carried on with their lives, mostly stronger than the average person rather than weaker.

I'm about 10 years too young to have served there but through both a quirk of fate and (later) deliberate design I've known a LOT of Vietnam Veterans and I'm almost as sick of the whole myth as they are.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

There's a generation that grew up with movies and books that created and perpetuated the stereotype -- sometimes aided by veterans who may not even have seen combat (as many in Vietnam did not) but wanted the attention or sympathy -- of a mentally damaged Vietnam Vet. The fact is almost certainly that the majority of them, just as vets did after every war throughout time, came home and carried on with their lives, mostly stronger than the average person rather than weaker.

I'm about 10 years too young to have served there but through both a quirk of fate and (later) deliberate design I've known a LOT of Vietnam Veterans and I'm almost as sick of the whole myth as they are.

Well, I don't think anyone can be sure of what the exact numbers are. All I can say is from my own personal acquaintance , I have met several Vietnam vets who fit the description.

Well, I don't think anyone can be sure of what the exact numbers are. All I can say is from my own personal acquaintance , I have met several Vietnam vets who fit the description.

Sure of them? Absolutely not though there are some statistics that almost certainly, for a couple reasons, overstate the actual situation and even they would not support your previous claim I suspect.

But indeed we can't know for sure - so do you think it's reasonable to make such a dramatic and broad generalization based on "several" vets you you have met? (I"m surprised you've met several that meet the description, by the way. I think the odds are fairly slim.)

Sure of them? Absolutely not though there are some statistics that almost certainly, for a couple reasons, overstate the actual situation and even they would not support your previous claim I suspect.

But indeed we can't know for sure - so do you think it's reasonable to make such a dramatic and broad generalization based on "several" vets you you have met? (I"m surprised you've met several that meet the description, by the way. I think the odds are fairly slim.)

I grew up in an area that had two military bases and was surrounded by Vets, I had work that allowed me to enter these bases and drive people to VA hospitals and clinics. There are different degrees to these withdrawal symptoms and some guys obviously have it worse than others.

I grew up in an area that had two military bases and was surrounded by Vets, I had work that allowed me to enter these bases and drive people to VA hospitals and clinics. There are different degrees to these withdrawal symptoms and some guys obviously have it worse than others.

Well, as mentioned, there's some reasons why I've been around a lot of vets myself - and while many of them were at VA hospitals certainly not all. If (and I mean "if") you were driving vets to the hospital for symptoms associated with PTSD, then that would have skewed your perception of the overall picture. And indeed there are different degrees to how one would manifest emotional trauma from combat (don't know that I'd call it "withdrawal symptoms") but that comment is somehwat more nuanced than your previous assertion that "most" Vietnam Vets don't want to associate wth people and your reference to them wandering around the woods of Oregon.

This is not a dispute that can be "won". I feel certain you are overstating things and perpetuating an insidious cultural trope - but we'll have to agree to disagree I suppose (especially since we'll probably get criticized for being off topic)

EDIT: I'll add only this -- I think statistics and other sources of information (and logic) will support an incidence of easily less than 20% of Vietnam Vets currently with PTSD. Tragic for them and even one is too many - but far from "most".

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

Well the posts started out that they annoyed the sh*t out of me .But there are sane people on here.I can only share from my experience.I will retire to LOS next march 014. I will most likely be in the Issan. I will make great effort to learn to speak,read Thai.Not because i love languages but because of the great experiences it will open up for me. If i was exploring the mountains of Appalachia and past away there would be the possibility that my body would never be found. OR doing many things i have done or desired to do the same result. It would be no problem for me.It would be nice that any of my family left would have some closure or maybe not just think of the handed down stories(That was my long lost uncle he went on an adventure and we haven't heard from him since) I think i only have one home and that would be Harlan KY. But i left there at age of 8 and had only 2 brief visits since. I have lived in PHX. since i was 21 and before that north of Chicago(Fox Lake). There was many a pioneer that settled (stole) America that passed away with out anyone knowing for months and years some never.The only part of moving to Thailand i haven't thought out is when i reach the feeble i cannot take care of myself stage(we all get there) :) Some might criticize this but i am 62 now and figure i have several years before that stage.Maybe a canoe ride in shark infested waters.Or a bear hunt wearing bacon armed with a knife like Daniel Boone. :) I have had some tremendous accidents and i never felt the pain until i woke up or until i was calm enough to feel it. ALL i wish for all of us is that we have the courage to take the challenge to live our lives with adventure not waiting to die. I assure you that if this is one of the dumb things i have tried it will look good next to all the others on the wall .But when i look at that wall there are a lot of great memories. TO each his own. JRV

RIP RONNIE i hope you never woke up that's all we can hope for.

• Like 1

You're telling me Para, I once thought I was part of a community, but after some years here that illusion has gone. I now know I'm part of nothing, and I curse the day I ever set foot in this place. If I only knew then what I know now. And the rest of you, don't tell me to go home. I can't anymore, and on top of that, it seems that I've soiled myself. Now if you will all excuse me!

My condolences to Ronnie's friends and family, let's all hope that someone, somewhere has been truly affected by his untimely passing.

I totally agree with you I wish the same I rue the day I ever set foot in Thailand I would be worth a fortune now and my dad died while I was here added to the pain if only I listened to him he might still be alive and I'd still be rich. Bet the vultures will visit his house now hope he made a will not that it would matter if it wasnt left to a Thai. How sad he was dead for that length of time before he was found R.I.P Ronnie

First off, sorry to see there's no new news about Ronnie. Like I said in my first post I hope there are some people out there are truly missing Ronnie; and I know Ronnie doesn't care but it would be nice to know, ya know?

Second, about my original post - 29 likes! Holy God that's certainly a record for me! Although I would like to set a few things straight, don't feel bad for me, I made my bed and now I'll lie in it. And just to let you all know I'm not some sad sack who walks around all poopy and lonely all day feeling sorry for myself, I laugh my arse off on a regular basis and everyone that knows me can attest to that. I just don't believe ANY foreigner can truly attain a sense of community in small town Thai village life. Bangkok might be another story, but I wouldn't know. To those guys not in BKK or Pattaya or whatever, if you think you're "part of the village," believe me, you're not. Nope. Not a chance. Fuggettaboutit! Anyone who believes otherwise, wake up and stop fooling yourself, and don't dare buy anyone any beers unless he's older than you and been either working in the rice field all day or picking through garbage for plastic bottles all day. That kinda guy deserves a cold glass of Leo and ice cubes every once and a while. Any other Thai, F 'em! Especially your wife's loser brother, uncle, cousin or even worse, her loser father. Just laugh in their face when they ask you for something! That's what I do! It's hilarious and believe me, they hate me for it! And you know what, screw 'em! And one more important note, yeah I wish I had invested in property somewhere else but 11 years ago, the world was my oyster!! Hahah. Ah well, what are ya gonna do? Laugh brothers, laugh. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I've soiled myself yet again!! The wife's gonna be some mad, since the washer machine is on the fritz!!

• Like 1

Dead over NYE how desperately sad?

Problem is we all move here for a better life but in doing so for the most part lose feeling part of a community.

R.I.P Ronnie.

Para,

There are still plenty of places in Thailand where one definitely feels a sense of community. Saying that, I've noticed for all the years I've been here, that the sense of community is falling by the wayside.

If one looks at other countries, the same trend has been around for some time. Cities being the worst for lack of community / neighborly...

RIP Ronnie...

I can't speak of any of the countries in Europe; however, after spending 6 years in Thailand and with a GF and kids most of the time, I couldn't wait to leave. I completely get what Para is saying. I was in Para's position of not being able to come back due to not having a job and not affording to leave the one I had in Thailand. It was 2 years of prospecting and waiting out the crappy economy until I got an awesome company to hire me over Skype. The job is in a beach community just north of San Diego, California. I was very concerned about the cost of living, the SoCal culture, and the possibility that America had changed so much I'd be very disappointed and regretting the move back when I got here (I hadn't visited in that 6 yrs).

Well, unbelievable, the people, weather, streets (I bike to work), beaches, cleanliness, business attitudes, far cheaper rents and food than I ever expected, sense of community, endless activities, parks, nightlife, big name entertainment, dozens and dozens of microbrews, beach runs, endless mountain biking trails out my front door, 2 hours to snowboarding, 30+ year old California women that make 30+ year old Thai women (assuming you get married and don't spend your entire remaining life chasing lowlife bar girls) look like soi dog meat, and on and on and on.

Everyday when I ride my bike to work (and I'm 59) I am so thankful that I don't have to be on edge ready to die dodging the crazy F'n drivers in Thailand. I went to a popular outdoor sports store and bought mtn running shoes. I wore them for 3 months about 40 times, but I bought them half-size too small. I went to buy a second pair and the guy said to bring the first ones back, no questions guarantee of satisfaction. He said if I had wore them for a year or even longer, it would be the same. Now try and find that kind of business in Thailand. When I went through immigration flying into LAX, the immigration police chatted with me and sincerely welcomed me back when I mentioned I had been gone a long time. Get that at immigration in Thailand. When my Issan fiance (we are applying for a Fiance visa right now to get her and the kids to eventually be US citizens) goes to Robinson's makeup counter, she can't even get waited on (I make six-figures and she shows it). In the US, she will be equal to everyone else and my kids won't have to grow up with the kind of F'd up prejudice found in Thailand.

If I was rich, I'd pay for Para to live her just so he could get out as I did. I can't image the kind of crap hole all of the rest of you came from to think Thailand is an up tick. Now, if you come from a really messed up country (fortunately, despite its problems, the US ain't one), then I feel sorry for you too. But if your home country is not messed up, I can't imagine you staying in Thailand for any reason than cheap kittie(synonym), and if that's it, then you are the kind of person who probably doesn't care about community or quality of life anyhow.

Sad to hear that you did not have a good experience whilst living in Thailand and glad that your quality of life is much improved.

Having lived fairly extensively in 7 countries over the last 35 years or so, every country has it's pros and cons. We all know that we should be focusing on the pros only but it's hard when either professional or personal issues are not ideal. I still constantly feel frustrated at many things here but before it gets out of hand, I always stop to think of how it was in my previous domiciles. I then make a concerted effort to experience one of the many pros of living in Thailand (be it a nice open air meal, massage, bike ride or just taking in eye candy) and life is good again.

R.I.P. Ronnie.

Yes Gweiloman, I agree with you for Americans. Even with its problems it is still the best place in the world to live.

Para, I feel your pain. I'm in the same situation. Moved here lock, stock, and barrel nine years ago, invested most of my savings in a nice property (big mistake) and thought that I would be able to live the good life on my private and government pensions. The place I moved to was little more than a nice beach town just grown from a fishing village. Now, nine years later after being discovered by Europeans, it is a full blown resort city with all the inherent dangers and discomforts; crowding, traffic, crime, poor infrastructure and 50% increase in cost of living while my pension dollars have dropped from 44 baht/dollar to 30 baht/dollar. Now I spend my days on the internet or watching TV and only leave the house for the monthly shopping or for a cheap lunch once or twice a week with family or a couple of neighbor friends. Being a person who traveled all his life and had lived in four countries and visited more than 50, this is not the way I envisioned spending my "golden years".

I hate the place now but have not even been able to afford an air ticket back to the U.S. since 2005 as I support a family. My Mother died a couple of years ago and I couldn't even afford to go back for the funeral. I've had my house on the market for a few years and keep lowering the price. If it ever sells I'll be back living in the U.S. before you can blink an eye.

By moving here I turned one of my favorite holiday destinations (been vacationing here since the early 80's) into a place I will never return to if I ever get out.

Edited by hhfarang
  • Like 1

Moved here lock, stock, and barrel nine years ago, invested most of my savings in a nice property (big mistake) and thought that I would be able to live the good life on my private and government pensions. The place I moved to was little more than a nice beach town just grown from a fishing village. Now, nine years later after being discovered by Europeans, it is a full blown resort city with all the inherent dangers and discomforts; crowding, traffic, crime, poor infrastructure and 50% increase in cost of living while my pension dollars have dropped from 44 baht/dollar to 30 baht/dollar. Now I spend my days on the internet or watching TV and only leave the house for the monthly shopping or for a cheap lunch once or twice a week with family or a couple of neighbor friends. Being a person who traveled all his life and had lived in four countries and visited more than 50, this is not the way I envisioned spending my "golden years".

I hate the place now but have not even been able to afford an air ticket back to the U.S. since 2005 as I support a family. My Mother died a couple of years ago and I couldn't even afford to go back for the funeral. I've had my house on the market for a few years and keep lowering the price. If it ever sells I'll be back living in the U.S. before you can blink an eye.

By moving here I turned one of my favorite holiday destinations (been vacationing here since the early 80's) into a place I will never return to if I ever get out.

Don't buy. Rent. That's the way I feel about any country, USA included. When the neighbors or the neighborhood change, you don't want to be stuck. Love my Thai neighborhood right now.

Edited by zydeco

Was Thailand all bad, absolutely not. I got a wonderful wife-to-be and kids out of the deal, so I will always hold Thailand as a special place and experience, but I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want my kids to go to a Thai high school or university, not even an international one. There's just no comparison. One of the main things I did in my jobs in Thailand over 6 years was to train Thai programmers with Bachelors, Masters, and even a few with Ph.Ds how to design and build good software. I could write a book and the knowledge/skills gap between western and Thai software engineers. It is so pitiful it is sad for Thailand. I don't want my kids to end up in that same boat.

Did your wonderful wife go to a Thai high school or university? A friend of mine was complaining the other day about Thai education and the funny thing is that his wife earns more than him!

I made a similar list between Thailand and the UK and Thailand side was much longer. I wonder whether Thai or American software engineers are happier. While the American ones may have better software skills, I'm sure the Thai ones have some other skills that are better. It would be interesting to see how many are in therapy, taking prozac or other psychotropic medication.

Sad for the man who died. I wonder why he didn't become friendly with the neighbours. I have heard a few times from Thai people how the local foreigner keep to himself and doesn't integrate with the local community.

mate u r not robinson crusoe ...i know dozen like u ...hope life gets better for u ...just had a mate who has spent the last ten years here trying to help his wife and extended family ...all the dough is gone and nothing to show for it ...now the family treat him openly with contempt ... he cant go home ...nothing to go back to ....the dream can quickly turn to a nightmare ....

If you marry the wrong kind of person, no matter where you are, life can become a nightmare.

Was Thailand all bad, absolutely not. I got a wonderful wife-to-be and kids out of the deal, so I will always hold Thailand as a special place and experience, but I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want my kids to go to a Thai high school or university, not even an international one. There's just no comparison. One of the main things I did in my jobs in Thailand over 6 years was to train Thai programmers with Bachelors, Masters, and even a few with Ph.Ds how to design and build good software. I could write a book and the knowledge/skills gap between western and Thai software engineers. It is so pitiful it is sad for Thailand. I don't want my kids to end up in that same boat.

Did your wonderful wife go to a Thai high school or university? A friend of mine was complaining the other day about Thai education and the funny thing is that his wife earns more than him!

I made a similar list between Thailand and the UK and Thailand side was much longer. I wonder whether Thai or American software engineers are happier. While the American ones may have better software skills, I'm sure the Thai ones have some other skills that are better. It would be interesting to see how many are in therapy, taking prozac or other psychotropic medication.

Sad for the man who died. I wonder why he didn't become friendly with the neighbours. I have heard a few times from Thai people how the local foreigner keep to himself and doesn't integrate with the local community.

In a recent poll.......25% of Americans say they are happy and the others are unhappy.

If I recall correctly, a similar poll conducted in LOS indicated the opposite.

Over the years, I've noticed that some folks take their negativity with them wherever they go -- so there is no escape from it.

During 8 years Air Force active duty, I did tours in some fairly ratty places and as well as some fabulous places. But I wouldn't trade any of those experiences for $1 million. My first overseas tour: Peshawar, Pakistan. A thousand young GIs stuck at a remote site in a poor, dirty, backward Muslim country. Never saw an adult female face for 18 months. Reconstituted powdered eggs, powdered milk, and no fresh vegetables for 18 months. It certainly wasn't the best duty, but the job was great and it certainly was an unforgettable experience. Next tour: Japan. The food was fabulous and lots of beautiful girls. But even in Japan, while I greatly enjoyed "going to heaven without dying" a lot of young troops were loudly proclaiming "This place sucks!"

A few years later at Hickam AFB, Hawaii. Superb chow and fabulous beaches in a tropical paradise, and most expenses were on Uncle Sam. Working second shift on the flight line. Every morning by 8 a.m. my buddies and I were lying on Waikiki Beach enjoying the sand and the surf, and being overwhelmed with the eye candy... and a lot of young troops from the mainland were loudly proclaiming, "This place sucks!"

Every place in the world has pros and cons. No place is all good. Some folks spend their lives focusing on the negative -- which is okay if they really enjoy that, I suppose.

The happiest people I have met in the last 60+ years are those who focus on the many wonderful blessings in life.

To each his own,

Brad

Outstanding post! Thank you.

In a recent poll.......25% of Americans say they are happy and the others are unhappy.

If I recall correctly, a similar poll conducted in LOS indicated the opposite.

Attached is a recent poll.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1679311/the-secrets-of-the-happiest-countries-in-the-world

I wonder whether Thai or American software engineers are happier. While the American ones may have better software skills, I'm sure the Thai ones have some other skills that are better. It would be interesting to see how many are in therapy, taking prozac or other psychotropic medication.

Speaking of software engineers and happiness/unhappiness, this may be a bit off topic, but reminds me of Joe Stack, the software engineer who crashed his plane into the Austin, TX, IRS office. He evidently had a big complaint against the IRS which he found impossible to resolve. He paid with his life, but the incident cost the federal government over $38 million. He obviously believed that was the only way to get even with the IRS for the trouble they had caused him. For more info on this incident google "Austin plane crash cost IRS $38.6 Million."

• Like 1

Sad that someone dies alone and missing for 10 days over the time of the year when we are normally in closest contact with our family.

So true. I don't know anyone, whom I know personally, who spent the New Years holiday alone. Very sad way to go.

R.I.P. Ronnie