Teaching In Chiang Mai

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with a little information:

I'm planning on looking for work as an English teacher in Chiang Mai in the coming months and was wondering if anyone on here has any experience, insights or advice to offer. I'm in my early thirties with 11 years experience of working in two International Investment Banks, I have a certificate in Journalism, a Diploma in Social Science and a BA Degree in Library and Information Studies (my minor was History), I'm currently studying for a Masters in Computer Science but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with this career direction and currently considering discontinuing my studies, hence my interest in teaching. I have no teaching experience to date however, but I'm completing a 140 hour TELF course in February and plan on attending a 4-week CELTA training course at the International House in Chiang Mai shortly afterwards. My intentions are to send out CV/letters prior to completing my CELTA course and look for work while studying at the International House. I'd just like to add that I'm a dedicated worker and if opportunties arose that allowed me to subsidise my salary, I'd jump at them.

So, here are a few questions that come to mind:

What's the job market like in CM for English Teachers?

What type of salary should I expect?

What is the best time of year to look for positions?

Would you recommend approaching schools directly in the search for employment or are there any agencies in CM that work on one's behalf?

Are there options for salary increases if you stay at a school for multiple contracts?

Is there any demand for private tuition outside of school hours, teaching members of the public etc?

What's the best method of advertising for private tuition and what is the general hourly rate?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your time and help! :)

J

The TA in CELTA stands for Teaching Adults in a language school context. Most teaching work in Thailand is teaching young learners in a formal school environment. You won't be trained or prepared for the Thailand job market. But, as they say, up to you.

Edited by Loaded

You should have joined Goldman Sachs and got into the fraud, corruption, ripoffs and unwarranted bonuses for said. But that aside you sound quite educated and would be a good starting point as a teacher. English, not great wages, but allows survival whilst thinking what you really want to do. I think there is a teacher forum somewher that could give all the info.

I did a TEFL course in Phuket about 10 years ago and started working at schools but the pay wasn't very good (20k-30k month)... So I started going to the high-end hotels and got a job paying 45k/month teaching some conversational English to the staff and helping with their English for restaurant menus, advertising, etc... Was a lot more fun than teaching grammar and might be something to think about...

Try to get out and network with other expats/teachers in Chiang Mai and I'm sure they'll be able to help... I'm heading back there in Feb. and if I hear of anything I'll let you know.

Jeff

IrishFarang - I will try to answer your questions directly:

- The job market in CM is a little more competitive for teachers as CM is a place people want to teach. However, I still found it relatively easy to find a teaching job! With your education background and getting your TEFL certificate, you should have no problem!

- As CM is more competitive, the salary is lower than other citites in Thailand like Bangkok and the South. At my school, I earn 25,000 baht per month, but I'm also employed through the centre where I did my TEFL certification last February, so they take a cut of our pay.

- For a full-time teaching position in a primary/high school, the best time to look is around March/April and September. Perfect timing for you to do your TEFL course in February (that's when I did mine last year!) You can always find work in language schools year round.

Would you recommend approaching schools directly in the search for employment or are there any agencies in CM that work on one's behalf?

- You can do either option here. If you approach schools directly, dress smartly, have some resumes in-hand and just walk into the schools. It might be beneficial to ask for the head of the language department. It may be a case that a school has an opening so when you walk in and they like the way you "look", you might be offered a job on the spot. I was planning to make my way around to schools one day, and just happened to stop into the centre where I did my TEFL course, they said they had an opening at a school and if I wanted it, it was mine. Easy peazy, lemon squeezy!

Are there options for salary increases if you stay at a school for multiple contracts?

- With my school, yes. Every year we stay on we get a 1,000 baht increase up to 30,000. I'm sure other schools are similar.

Is there any demand for private tuition outside of school hours, teaching members of the public etc?

- I think there is always a demand, I've heard my friends saying they've been approached by Thai's on the street or songtaew/tuk tuk drivers asking for lessons. I was asked in a taylor's shop for lessons. You can advertise on Craigslist. I decided not to teach privately right now as working a full-time teaching job in a primary school can be tiring, sometimes you just need to have a break.

What's the best method of advertising for private tuition and what is the general hourly rate?

- I would say Craigslist or make up flyers and post around town. Make buisness cards and hand them out in Thai areas. I believe language schools charge about 500 baht an hour and people that I know who teach privately charge about 230 - 300 baht an hour.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!

• Like 2

Many thanks to those who replied, I appreciate it folks! :)

@Loaded: Adults you say? Last I looked there were plenty floating around Chiang Mai ;) Anyway, my TEFL cert covers me for the kiddies.

@Sparkles: Cheers for the weblink, v good site!

@Rancid: Goldman Sachs doesn't interest me, in fact I'm glad to be out of that superficial world of crisp-suited liars and corporate thieves. No amount of money would get me back, I value my soul. Thanks for the response and advice.

@jefftd77: cheers for the advice jeff and give me a shout in the future if anything crops up, thanks for taking the time out to reply, I really appreciate it.

@race87: thanks race, I really appreciate the effort you put into answering my questions, much appreciated and very insightful. Thanks again, your advice is more than helpful.

Cheers folks, maybe I'll see you around Chiang Mai sometime in the future :)

J

Much more positions for Government and private schools, not so great if you are a certified teacher in your home country.

~27-30's depending on the school. You won't be making the 50-70k of the Internationals or 100+ of prem, unless they are hiring for a librarian, or something to do with economics and you can prove your worth.

Now till April

Ajarn.com, Tesall.com Dave's ESL cafe, but the best way is to find the school's website and search their jobs. This is easier for private/international schools. At all costs avoid agencies, they steal your money and are responsible for the stagnet salaries over the last 10 years.

Most schools will give a raise of 1-2000Baht if you teach the following year

High demand, but it will be illegal as you will only have a work permit for the teaching job. Do it anyway, either privates or working for someone. If you are working for someone and you are teaching classes 300B/hr with little to no prep on your end should be your aim. If you teach your own students, adjust the cost. Ie if they are government school kids you won't be able to charge as much, but their parents will no be adverse to having 8-10 kids in a class. 1200B for M-F afterschool for 1hr works out to 60B an hour for the parents, but an extra 12k in your pocket. You can find a small room to rent if need be. My Ex now has a town house behind a govt school. She has 110 students M-F and students. She has 5 teachers under he she pays and after all expenses she makes about 50-60,000B. Tutoring is the money maker here if you can't get into an international school.

I addressed the rate, but I would simply ask my co-teacher if I could advertise for tutoring, made a brochure and stapled it to their front pocket at the end of the day.

Your main problem is going to be communication with parents who speak little to no English. THis can be circumvented by finding one of the many school interns (Thai Uni students) who can speak English, offer then a salary to help you.

Good luck, I enjoyed it enough that I went back home at got a proper education degree, not in English before anyone jumps on my grammar. I realized that was not my strength long ago.

• Like 1

educated fools from uneducated schools

.Good intentions maybe stopped reading actually after the first couple of sentences

If you are so dissalusioned dont think being an English teacher on a TEFL will ultimately give you lasting happiness

As a stop over to real journalism and what is really happening in the world maybe

Funny post

oh yer drunk yer drunk ya silly old fool

as drunk as drunk as be

if you think getting into superficial English is getting out the rat race,you have a lot to learn

Still i feel you maybe have good intentions and going on a TEFL is a popular choice at this moment.

but that is also part of the rat race and many things that go with it.

Come to CM by all means

meet interesting people who are travelling as well as locals who are against all the crap in the world and are actually doing something about it actively

tilll then

yer drunk yer drunk yer silly old fool

I came to teach in Thailand as a way to escape the rat race in England and it did just that.

I did the CELTA which landed me in a teaching job which has found me the happiness that I could have ever asked for in a job.

Like someone else said, the CELTA prepares you for teaching adults, you can teach adults of course but it is a low salary and you might not get a contract. Instead, be prepared to teach kids and sometimes large class sizes and I don't think there is any course or training that can really prepare you for that.

But with your qualifications, you should be getting a high end job at a private school or possibly an international school where the salary and benefits are really quite competitive. Don't expect to be able to make enough to save a whole load to take home or anything but if you are satisfied here it can be a pretty comfortable life.

I can give you advice on the Chiang Mai CELTA and can lend you the books that you need if you are going to take it here. Good luck.

I presume you're coming to chiang mai to teach for the benefits of living in chiang mai rather than earning loads. Great choice of town and job!

So many people come to teaching english from other jobs and professions and end up loving the work. I've never taught kids, but have been teaching adults (and adolescents) in thailand for over 20 years now, and it's very rewarding work for those who retain enthusiasm for teaching. I worked in a private language school, then a college, then two different unis. The most fun was in my first job at the private language school where i earned the least amount. At the time though it was enough to live on since i was single.

There will be more and more demand for all kinds of english teaching from next year onwards due to the ASEAN grouping. If you live in the right place there's always demand for extra lessons on a private basis, say two to four friends learning with you. If you smile a lot, enjoy thai people, enjoy life, are enthusiastic, then thais will love learning with you.

The celta teaches you how to teach. I'd recommend you also reflect a lot and try and think how people learn. This will help you understand the learners' needs more, and have you advancing your skills faster.

Good luck in the new profession. I think you'll love it.

Incidentally, there are plenty of adults in colleges and universities and private language schools who are learning english, so it's not that necessary to teach kids if one doesn't fancy it.

I presume you're coming to chiang mai to teach for the benefits of living in chiang mai rather than earning loads. Great choice of town and job!

So many people come to teaching english from other jobs and professions and end up loving the work. I've never taught kids, but have been teaching adults (and adolescents) in thailand for over 20 years now, and it's very rewarding work for those who retain enthusiasm for teaching. I worked in a private language school, then a college, then two different unis. The most fun was in my first job at the private language school where i earned the least amount. At the time though it was enough to live on since i was single.

There will be more and more demand for all kinds of english teaching from next year onwards due to the ASEAN grouping. If you live in the right place there's always demand for extra lessons on a private basis, say two to four friends learning with you. If you smile a lot, enjoy thai people, enjoy life, are enthusiastic, then thais will love learning with you.

The celta teaches you how to teach. I'd recommend you also reflect a lot and try and think how people learn. This will help you understand the learners' needs more, and have you advancing your skills faster.

Good luck in the new profession. I think you'll love it.

Incidentally, there are plenty of adults in colleges and universities and private language schools who are learning english, so it's not that necessary to teach kids if one doesn't fancy it.

Many thanks for your reply femi fan,

You give me hope! wink.png

Yes, it's a lifestyle choice and cultural experience rather than money-oriented pursuit. I would be happy to just live simply and save a little here and there. Of course it would be nice to get into a comfortable job in terms of pay package but as I'm a newbie the experience is more important at this stage.

Did you progress with your studies further after completing the CELTA course or did this suffice for the jobs you secured? I've been thinking about DELTA or an MA as a follow up to the CELTA, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks again!

J

Edited by Guest

educated fools from uneducated schools

.Good intentions maybe stopped reading actually after the first couple of sentences

If you are so dissalusioned dont think being an English teacher on a TEFL will ultimately give you lasting happiness

As a stop over to real journalism and what is really happening in the world maybe

Funny post

oh yer drunk yer drunk ya silly old fool

as drunk as drunk as be

if you think getting into superficial English is getting out the rat race,you have a lot to learn

Still i feel you maybe have good intentions and going on a TEFL is a popular choice at this moment.

but that is also part of the rat race and many things that go with it.

Come to CM by all means

meet interesting people who are travelling as well as locals who are against all the crap in the world and are actually doing something about it actively

tilll then

yer drunk yer drunk yer silly old fool

Thanks for your entertaining if not slightly confusing post ;)

I appreciate your colourful insights and observations. Cheers!

J

Unless your heart is set on teaching English, I would probably advise to skip the TEFL and CELTA and just do an online Master Education from an accredited US university. With a Masters you could get into an International School and look at wages in Chiang Mai from 45-65K a month. You still would not have a teacher license but it would be a good way to get some experience and make a decent wage.

A TEFL and CELTA path pretty much keeps you in ESL schools which have lower salaries, less holidays, less overall benefits and less job security.

Since your relatively young and looking for a new career path, change the Computer Science degree to a Masters Education and aim for International Schools.

Unless your heart is set on teaching English, I would probably advise to skip the TEFL and CELTA and just do an online Master Education from an accredited US university. With a Masters you could get into an International School and look at wages in Chiang Mai from 45-65K a month. You still would not have a teacher license but it would be a good way to get some experience and make a decent wage.

A TEFL and CELTA path pretty much keeps you in ESL schools which have lower salaries, less holidays, less overall benefits and less job security.

Since your relatively young and looking for a new career path, change the Computer Science degree to a Masters Education and aim for International Schools.

Hi PlanetX,

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about doing an MA over a number of years whilst teaching English as an option. Do you think this is a good route or folly? What is required to get a teacher's license by the way?

J

Many thanks for your reply femi fan,

You give me hope! wink.png

Yes, it's a lifestyle choice and cultural experience rather than money-oriented pursuit. I would be happy to just live simply and save a little here and there. Of course it would be nice to get into a comfortable job in terms of pay package but as I'm a newbie the experience is more important at this stage.

Did you progress with your studies further after completing the CELTA course or did this suffice for the jobs you secured? I've been thinking about DELTA or an MA as a follow up to the CELTA, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks again!

J

When i didn't want to return home to england after my money ran out for my travels here in thailand i was told that if i really wanted to teach i'd get a job. So it turned out. I had no experience, no qualifications, nothing. I'd say the same thing: if you are up for the job, you'll do very well.

You also are doing your research well! Yes, i did the delta and then an ma back in london. Purely for teaching and being a good teacher, the delta is better than the masters. The delta was a magic moment for me, well the celta was too. But while the celta gives you a great start into teaching, the delta focuses much more on how students learn, and being able to deliver learner-centred lessons. The ideal framework is to do the celta, do two years of full time teaching, and then take on the delta, in order to make the most out of the course. The masters is a different story really, and is often done for separate reasons. I consider the delta to be such an outstanding piece of training, regardless of profession or subject matter. A little rider though, when i did it it was still called the dtefla, but i think it's pretty similar.

My main advice based on what you've said on this thread is to really aim for enjoying the job and any course you do. Money will take care of itself. In thailand too the students want fun and to enjoy the company of their fellow classmates and teacher, and if you can be enthusiastic, make learning enjoyable, then you'll be rewarded by having a job where you wake up and look forward to working. Not many people get that in life! The dedicated teacher never stops learning how to do the job better!

Sorry, but i have to question this advice. The OP has been working in a job that pays lots of money. Don't go into teaching for money. Yes, you can work in international schools, but that means being super busy and super stressed to get the money. Teaching should be something to enjoy, to be a way of life.

The best way to become a useful and motivating teacher is to know how to teach. The celta and delta is the exact path to take for this. A masters by itself is a pretty poor option if one has never taught before. And online? How can one get classroom experience?? If you're going to teach in a classroom, why do your own studies at home all on your own? Good teaching is all about classroom management.

Don't go into teaching for money. Go into it to have job to savour. You can earn good money as an experienced english teacher, but it's much better to focus on gaining experience in a job where fun is the operative word, not stress.

Sorry, but i have to question this advice. The OP has been working in a job that pays lots of money. Don't go into teaching for money. Yes, you can work in international schools, but that means being super busy and super stressed to get the money. Teaching should be something to enjoy, to be a way of life.

The best way to become a useful and motivating teacher is to know how to teach. The celta and delta is the exact path to take for this. A masters by itself is a pretty poor option if one has never taught before. And online? How can one get classroom experience?? If you're going to teach in a classroom, why do your own studies at home all on your own? Good teaching is all about classroom management.

Don't go into teaching for money. Go into it to have job to savour. You can earn good money as an experienced english teacher, but it's much better to focus on gaining experience in a job where fun is the operative word, not stress.

I just offered an alternative route. IS schools in Thailand are not 'super busy and super stressed' - I would venture to say stepping in a classroom full of 50 Thai kids with limited English is a lot more stressful than teaching a specific subject to a class of 10-12 while enjoying 180+ days off during the year.

I just offered an alternative route. IS schools in Thailand are not 'super busy and super stressed' - I would venture to say stepping in a classroom full of 50 Thai kids with limited English is a lot more stressful than teaching a specific subject to a class of 10-12 while enjoying 180+ days off during the year.

Friends that work in international schools in thailand have told me how full-on the job is.

Teaching kids is not the only option. I've taught in thailand for 20 years and my teaching kids experience amounts to three hours. The biggest class i've ever had was 30 university students. Great great fun.

My questioning your advice was based on the OP and their plans. Teaching thais who really need English, and who don't have a lot of money to pay big time teachers to learn with, is a lot more useful work to put in for the community and society than teaching rich kids some subject matter. Teaching is a vocation, and the OP seems to be embracing it this way, and therefore i totally recommend teaching thais, whether kids or adults. There are private language schools, colleges, unis, normal schools to choose from.

I think some of the classes of rich kids often have motivation and discipline problems these days, whereby they come from rich backgrounds and therefore own the world. Highly stressful for the teacher.

Edited by femi fan

...The OP has been working in a job that pays lots of money.....

Lots of money you say..? Well it never made it's way to me I can tell you :)

I was one of the exploited, the underpaid, overworked and under-appreciated. I belonged to a niche department that a certain bigwig from the upper echelons of corporate greatness referred to as 'lowly back-office staff'. I might add that I took a small measure of glee when the ensuing financial crash wiped the smile off of his face, alas the common man (of which I am one) suffered because of men of this bigwig's ilk. Still, for a moment there, his greatness waned. When people like this raise the dead or discover a cure for cancer, then and only then, will they get my respect.

;)

...The OP has been working in a job that pays lots of money.....

Lots of money you say..? Well it never made it's way to me I can tell you smile.png

I was one of the exploited, the underpaid, overworked and under-appreciated.

wink.png

ah, well you're perfectly qualified to become a teacher then...!

Wrong assumption by me. I thought investment banks meant big riches!

The good thing about teaching, if one likes it, is that even if those above you pay no appreciation, the students certainly do.

A CELTA course holds a lot more credit with an International School than you might imagine, especially if taken here because it's the direct teaching experience that it gives you with the learners you need to be familiar with. A lot of people come to teach at International Schools here having trained to be a teacher with the PGCE or whatever from their home country but struggle in the position here because they don't know anything about teaching within a second language environment.

I have a friend who has a masters degree in english. He still took the TEFL course and has no problem securing work with it. He has come from a field where he was very successful (not teaching english) to a field which he thurley enjoys. A big step down in money but a more rewarding feeling.

I see no problem with you getting a job with a TEFL and continuing on to upgrade. It would certainly open new fields to you but then again you might not want to take them. but it would always be a possibility open to you. No sense in limiting yourself.

I have a friend who has a masters degree in english. He still took the TEFL course and has no problem securing work with it. He has come from a field where he was very successful (not teaching english) to a field which he thurley enjoys. A big step down in money but a more rewarding feeling.

I see no problem with you getting a job with a TEFL and continuing on to upgrade. It would certainly open new fields to you but then again you might not want to take them. but it would always be a possibility open to you. No sense in limiting yourself.

Cheers for the info hellodolly,

So you think a degree and a TEFL cert is sufficient to get work as a newbie? I hope so coffee1.gif

I would go and teach in Japan if i was you

.It is a much more less intimidating enviroment for first time teachers.

There is little or no discipline or acts of violence or teenage obnoxious behaviour there

The recruitment for Japan starts now for the april season

You have a University Degree ,you dont need TEFL or CELTA

Go to gaijinpot.com for lots of jobs

serious good advise

cheers

j

Quote:

Posted 2013-01-09 17:22:57

" I'm planning on looking for work as an English teacher in Chiang Mai in the coming months and was wondering if anyone on here has any experience, insights or advice to offer. I'm in my early thirties with 11 years experience of working in two International Investment Banks, I have a certificate in Journalism, a Diploma in Social Science and a BA Degree in Library and Information Studies (my minor was History), I'm currently studying for a Masters in Computer Science but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with this career direction and currently considering discontinuing my studies, hence my interest in teaching. I have no teaching experience to date however, but I'm completing a 140 hour TELF course in February and plan on attending a 4-week CELTA training course at the International House in Chiang Mai shortly afterwards. My intentions are to send out CV/letters prior to completing my CELTA course and look for work while studying at the International House. I'd just like to add that I'm a dedicated worker and if opportunties arose that allowed me to subsidise my salary, I'd jump at them."

---------------------------------------------------

I've taught English and also been employed as a career counselor, so I'm going to offer suggestions in two parts.

Part 1

You mention you are disillusioned with your career (evident from jumping around from degree to degree trying to find the "right fit" - journalism to computer science and now teaching English.

You're not alone.

This happens to many college graduates, but if you don't do proper career analysis to identify what employment field is a good fit for you, chances are you will be unhappy with your next job and start looking again. Not to mention having spent more money on another certificate.

Career testing (MBTI, Meyers Briggs, Strong) can help you identify jobs that fit your: personality, interests, work environment, salary expectations, etc.

You have experience and education and I'd hate to see you throw it away because you are in a "career rut." At this juncture, being in your thirties, you won't get many second career chances. Think carefully.

Part 2

Teaching ESL is often a temporary choice for college grads who can't find employment immediately but still need to pay off tuition (This is not to say that there are many qualified applicants who pursue teaching as a serious profession because they enjoy it and are good at it). Also, think about what your retirement benefits will look like.

Thailand's salaries are low by comparison, this a market for beginning teachers looking to gain experience, and competitive to boot.

I'd suggest South Korea where I've taught on and off.

Entry level teachers earn $2 -3,000 monthly. Plus, they get free housing. Plus, no TESL required, only a university diploma, and often no experience required, either. Applicants from Ireland are among the countries teachers can apply from. Avoid academies (hagwons) which have a reputation for corrupt business practices and pursue a public school position (daytime schedule with less headaches). Unfortunately, schools do discriminate in hiring, looking at age and asking for a photo, but in your thirties you should still have a good chance at being hired.

Probably the best web site to read up on teaching in South Korea (good and bad) or for that matter the rest of the world, is www.eslcafe.com.

I'd also go into the Thai forum and scan their discussions.

Best of luck.