Easiest, Safest And Cheapest Way To Send £20K+ From Uk To Thailand

You said your folks so i would if you havent allready set up an account in Thailand

Your folks again if they havent set up an online banking account in their country

get a card reader in their country

I would send the money from thier country to Thailand maybe a week before they travel.

It only takes 2 days to be in the bank account in Thailand sometimes less,so the above 1 week is incase they fill it in wrong and need to resend

Best solution if they are not sure is to go to the bank and get the bank to do it for them on their behalf.

Standard bank charges are between 15 GBP and 25GBP depending on time to arrive in Thailand.

No limit.

• Like 1

You said your folks so i would if you havent allready set up an account in Thailand

Your folks again if they havent set up an online banking account in their country

I would send the money from thier country to Thailand maybe a week before they travel.

It only takes 2 days to be in the bank account in Thailand sometimes less,so the above 1 week is incase they fill it in wrong and need to resend

Best solution if they are not sure is to go to the bank and get the bank to do it for them on their behalf.

Standard bank charges are between 15 GBP and 25GBP depending on time to arrive in Thailand.

No limit.

Thanks for that. I have an account here so will that be ok? Its with SCB. They don't have a clue about this sort of stuff and its never affected me. Were only simple folk from St Helens haha.

They are with Barclays in the UK as am I. I will tell them to sort out internet banking. I have a card reader so they could use that.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

option: open account with bangkok bank, transfer from uk account to bangkok bank London, who then pass it to your thai account next day.

Cost about 20 quid and better exchange rate. Just remember to send in sterling transfer to baht in bkk.

• Like 1

option: open account with bangkok bank, transfer from uk account to bangkok bank London, who then pass it to your thai account next day.

Cost about 20 quid and better exchange rate. Just remember to send in sterling transfer to baht in bkk.

Agree strongly --- make sure the money is sent as sterling. The bank in Thailand will give a much better exchange rate. Not sure about internet banking. Suggest they go into the bank and instruct them to send the money by TT electronic transfer. Typically takes 1 or 2 days.

• Like 2

Agree strongly --- make sure the money is sent as sterling. The bank in Thailand will give a much better exchange rate. Not sure about internet banking. Suggest they go into the bank and instruct them to send the money by TT electronic transfer. Typically takes 1 or 2 days.

Great info thanks. I will see what I can get them to do.

Cheers

No limit.

Thanks for that. I have an account here so will that be ok? Its with SCB. They don't have a clue about this sort of stuff and its never affected me. Were only simple folk from St Helens haha.

They are with Barclays in the UK as am I. I will tell them to sort out internet banking. I have a card reader so they could use that.

Cheers

yip they just need the account number,swift code and full name on the account in Thailand

,but they definately need the card reader and like people said get it sent in sterling

Electronic tt someone mentioned is what i said going into the bank and getting them to send it if they dont have internet access being simpe folks and all

st hellens i thought that was a volcano somewhere in europe haha

• Like 1

No limit.

Cheers

I transfered from Barclays UK to SCB Bangkok with no problems a few years ago with no problem to pay for my condo. I did use Internet banking.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

No limit.

Cheers

I transfered from Barclays UK to SCB Bangkok with no problems a few years ago with no problem to pay for my condo. I did use Internet banking.

If the amount you sent was worth more than 50,000 USD, were you required to provide evidence of what the money was for?

I recently opened a foreign currency account with BKK Bank and although there is no limit to how much you can send to it from the UK in one go, when you want to send it on to a Thai Baht account (from the foreign currency account) ie get it converted, there is this 50,000 USD rule requiring proof of intended use of funds.

I'd really like to know how you did this, as I have been with Barclays for 30 years, and up until a year or so ago there was no facility to do international transfers from a Barclays current account using online internet banking. They actually announced the introduction of this service in a newsletter on 20th Jan 2012.

I know this to be true, as I tried. It was a complete hassle as I always had to do it by phone which seemed to take hours with all the verifications and spelling out Thai addresses to baffled representatives. For me the online facility was not up and running until around June 2012.

From that newsletter:

post-26070-0-73444900-1357885857_thumb.j

How to transfer funds from the UK using your UK bank’s Online Banking or

Counter Services

If you have an account with a UK bank, you can transfer funds to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand via our London Branch using your UK bank’s online services, or instruct your local bank in person to transfer the funds to us (via
Faster Payments Service
or
BACS
) for onward transmission. Funds will be credited to the nominated account in Thailand on the next working day after we receive them in London.

Instructions

• Log into your UK internet banking service or visit your local UK bank. You need to check with your bank what options are available to transfer funds or make a payment. Choose “Pay a Person”
    WITHIN THE UK. Do not choose “International Transfer”
    , otherwise the funds will be sent directly to the account in Thailand by your bank with their charges.

• Choose the payment method then quote the following relevant details into the appropriate field on your bank’s internet banking screen or money transfer form.

Required Information

"Clearing" Service Accounts/Details to be filled in

Explanation

Payee Sort Code

60 93 98

Bangkok Bank London branch’s 6 digit "sort code" Payee Account Number

92 00 10 00

(For Thai Baht transfers)

OR

• The funds from your UK bank in Pound Sterling are converted to Thai Baht at Bangkok Bank, London, using the London Branch’s exchange rate. The Thai Baht funds will then be transferred to the nominated account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

• You will need to enter the account number of the final beneficiary into "the special instruction” field (see below).

92 00 20 00

(For Pounds Sterling transfers)

• Bangkok Bank London receives the funds from your UK bank and transfers them to your account in Thailand in Pound Sterling.

• The currency is converted from Pound Sterling to Thai Baht at Bangkok Bank, Bangkok, using its daily TT buying rate.

• You will need to enter the account number of the final beneficiary into "the special instruction" field (see below).

For Payee/

Beneficiary

First name and surname of the receiving party

Enter the recipient’s first name and surname as shown in the recipient’s Bangkok Bank passbook.
    DO NOT put Bangkok Bank.
    Special Instruction

(Payment Reference or

Payment Description)

Ten-digit account number followed by BKKBTHBK

Enter the full 10-digit Bangkok Bank account number, followed by BKKBTHBK (the SWIFT address of Bangkok Bank in Thailand).

(e.g. 1234567890BKKBTHBK)

[*]After you correctly enter the details, funds will be transferred into the recipient’s Bangkok Bank account in Thailand the next working day after the funds are received by Bangkok Bank in London.

For more information, please call Bangkok Bank London's Customer Service Department on (44-207) 929-4422, email
, or write to Bangkok Bank PCL London Branch 61 St. Mary Axe, London EC3A 8BY.

Hope the above is some help have used this system to transfer large amounts and smaller amounts takes 2 days if you do it in the morning.
  • Like 1

I'd really like to know how you did this, as I have been with Barclays for 30 years, and up until a year or so ago there was no facility to do international transfers from a Barclays current account using online internet banking. They actually announced the introduction of this service in a newsletter on 20th Jan 2012.

I know this to be true, as I tried. It was a complete hassle as I always had to do it by phone which seemed to take hours with all the verifications and spelling out Thai addresses to baffled representatives. For me the online facility was not up and running until around June 2012.

From that newsletter:

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have used Barclays for over 20 years and I chose them exactly because I can transfer funds by internet to all over the world by internet.

They are a big bank with so many different services. This is my login page, maybe you are using another one of their services.

• Like 1

No limit.

Cheers

If the amount you sent was worth more than 50,000 USD, were you required to provide evidence of what the money was for?

I recently opened a foreign currency account with BKK Bank and although there is no limit to how much you can send to it from the UK in one go, when you want to send it on to a Thai Baht account (from the foreign currency account) ie get it converted, there is this 50,000 USD rule requiring proof of intended use of funds.

I don't remember how much I sent at the time from my account (the origin bank knows where it came from), but I did have to file a form with the Bank of Thailand. Actually SCB did that for me, I just had to sign.

From that newsletter:

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have used Barclays for over 20 years and I chose them exactly because I can transfer funds by internet to all over the world by internet.

They are a big bank with so many different services. This is my login page, maybe you are using another one of their services.

OK , good to know.

You have a Barclays Wealth account, not an ordinary UK current account at a branch. This is of course different and has many more facilities.

Thanks for the info.

You may get ripped off if they convert the Pounds to Baht in the UK, I would insist it is sent as GBP and converted when it hits the bank in Thailand.

TT rates are competitive in Thailand, this may not be the same when it comes to the Bangkok Bank (UK) rate.

• Like 1

The best way to transfer from UK to Thailand is via "SWIFT" the fee depending on various banks is between 20.00 & 40.00 pounds but it gets here in one day.

The BACS transfer system is a bit cheaper and it takes 2 to 3 working days, but if a transfer is made on a Friday then it won't arrive before the following Wednesday so it would be 5 to 6 days.

The BACS transfer has got to go to the BKK Bank branch in London, and the UK banks requires the London BKK bank IBAN details.

You may get ripped off if they convert the Pounds to Baht in the UK, I would insist it is sent as GBP and converted when it hits the bank in Thailand.

TT rates are competitive in Thailand, this may not be the same when it comes to the Bangkok Bank (UK) rate.

Yes, I always transfer in hard currency because the exchange rates for THB in Europe are ridiculous.

And as has been mentioned, SWIFT is the way to go. It either arrives on the same day, or Barclays gives me a call and asks whether it was really me making that transfer.

• Like 1

To transfer from the UK bank to bkk bank in Thailand give the UK bank the following details.

For Swift transfer direct to Thailand ... Bank Name: Bangkok Bank

Swift Code : BKKBTHBK

A/c holder: Your Name

A/c number: x x x-x x x x x x -x (Your number)

---------------------------------

For BACS transfer UK ... Bank Name: Bangkok Bank in London

Sort Code: 60-93-98

A/c Number: 92 00 10 00

A/c Holder: Your Name

A/c Number: x x x-x x x x x x-x (Your number)

---------------------------------

Some offshore banks to not accept BACS for international transfer and will only transfer via Swift, the Swift transfer fees according to various banks are between 25.00 & 40.00 pounds, BACS transfers are a little cheaper of course, but it takes longer to arrive, and some banks will only accept a Swift Code for international transfer.

That is the position for electronic transfers to banks in Thailand.

As the folks don't have an account over here can they still send funds via BKK Bank to me at a good rate. I only have an SCB account at the moment, would they change it to SCB for me or should I open a BKK Bank account??

Thanks