First Time Motorbike Buyer Here. Need Some Help/information If You'd Please.

mcnad

Hey Everyone,

New to the forums, so first would just like to say hello. wai.gif

I live in Chiang Mai and would like to purchase a little motorbike/scooter to get around the city. I'm a complete noob regarding this so any help/information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

1.) Where is a good place to buy either a new or second hand motorbike that is in good condition? Of course prefer a place that isn't dodgy and won't try to pull a fast one over on me.

2.) Which is the best insurance company to insure my motorbike? What insurance plans are available for little motorbikes/scooters? How much is the cost in general?

3.) I would also like to purchase some kind of medical insurance (i'm really preparing for the worst here as I'm not naive about the dangers of driving a motorbike in Thailand). Does anyone know a health insurance company that would cover me in the event I had a motorbike accident?

4.) I would need to get a Thai driver's license as my current license from back home has already expired. Are they going to say anything/fine me if I just roll up to the transportation office on a motorbike without a license? Do I need to make an appointment to take the driving exam or are walk-ins welcome?

Again, thanks in advance for any help/information you fine ladies and gents could provide.

wai.gif

I live in Chiang Mai and would like to purchase a little motorbike/scooter to get around the city. I'm a complete noob regarding this so any help/information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I think you need to decide if you want an automatic scooter or a proper motorbike with gears. If you have never ridden before get the former. You can always change later.

1.) Where is a good place to buy either a new or second hand motorbike that is in good condition? Of course prefer a place that isn't dodgy and won't try to pull a fast one over on me.

Easiest would be to go to a Honda main dealer. They will sell you whichever scooter you choose, if you want a motorbike they have 150 and 250 also. I will have to defer to a Chiang Mai resident to which is best, but I know there is one out near the airport.

2.) Which is the best insurance company to insure my motorbike? What insurance plans are available for little motorbikes/scooters? How much is the cost in general?

Honda dealer will organize insurance for you,.

3.) I would also like to purchase some kind of medical insurance (i'm really preparing for the worst here as I'm not naive about the dangers of driving a motorbike in Thailand). Does anyone know a health insurance company that would cover me in the event I had a motorbike accident?

I'll sent you a PM about medical insurance as it involves another forum and TV gets picky about mentioning other forums.

4.) I would need to get a Thai driver's license as my current license from back home has already expired. Are they going to say anything/fine me if I just roll up to the transportation office on a motorbike without a license? Do I need to make an appointment to take the driving exam or are walk-ins welcome?

As your licence has expired you will need to resit the exam and test ( at least here in BKK) Exam is multiple choice on a computer and it not difficult and the test is a small loop on a test track ( again here in BKK) which can be learned by watching everyone else. But you will need to allow the best part of a day for it. At the very least a whole morning. If your license was for a bike and it didn't expire too long ago and you have it with you just present it and ask for a Thai one, you might get lucky.

Edited by VocalNeal

Thanks for the reply.

I think you need to decide if you want an automatic scooter or a proper motorbike with gears. If you have never ridden before get the former. You can always change later.

I want an automatic scooter for now. I've never owned a motorbike before, and while I have owned a stick shift when it comes to cars, I don't want to be distracted with changing gears on a motorbike while navigating the streets and dealing with other drivers in Thailand, at least while i'm getting started.

Go to a Honda main dealer. They will sell you whichever scooter you choose, if you want a motorbike they have 150 and 250 also. I will have to defer to a Chiang Mai resident to which is best, but I know there is one out near the airport.

Thanks, I'll try to find their info. Any Chiang Mai residents feel free to chime in.

Honda dealer will organize insurance for you,.

I read the shop can organize it for you, but i've also read there are some dodgy shops that overcharge like crazy. I was thinking it might be cheaper if I got insurance independently but would you advise against that?

I'll sent you a PM about medical insurance as it involves another forum and TV gets picky about mentioning other forums.

Thanks!

As your licence has expired you will need to resit the exam and test ( at least here in BKK) Exam is multiple choice on a computer and it not difficult and the test is a small loop on a test track ( again here in BKK) which can be learned by watching everyone else. But you will need to allow the best part of a day for it. At the very least a whole morning. If your license was for a bike and it didn't expire too long ago and you have it with you just present it and ask for a Thai one, you might get lucky.

I had a regular driver's license and it expired ages ago so looks like I'll have to sit the written and driving exams. Do you reckon they are going to say anything/fine me though if I pull up at the office to take the exams without having a license already? I know you don't know the definitive answer, but just maybe if you heard of it happening to anyone else.

You can hire a bike for the exam from the examiners. Not saying it makes passing any easier but does not hurt. Whether you arrive there on a bike is up to you take a lock!

Edited by VocalNeal

You need to get there before 9am to get into the group of test takers. The whole process takes a few hours so it's done as a group. If you arrive too late they won't do the whole process especially for you.

Atr you talking about CM? Last time I did the test, I did it alone. No groups what so ever and it took about 2 minutes. smile.png

You need to get there before 9am to get into the group of test takers. The whole process takes a few hours so it's done as a group. If you arrive too late they won't do the whole process especially for you.

Atr you talking about CM? Last time I did the test, I did it alone. No groups what so ever and it took about 2 minutes. smile.png

Not in CM, but if you did everything in 2 minutes then you didn't do the test.

Normally there is a video to watch, then a lecture, then a multiple choice test, a couple of sense/reaction tests and finally a riding around a course test.

Not in CM, but if you did everything in 2 minutes then you didn't do the test.

Normally there is a video to watch, then a lecture, then a multiple choice test, a couple of sense/reaction tests and finally a riding around a course test.

You're right. I was talking about the driving test. smile.png