How Can I Get Out Of Thai Marriage To Remarry In Uk When I Have No Idea Where To Find My Wife

Jasper23

Hi I'm Sam a 23 year old English guy. About a year and a half ago I got persuaded to go Thailand by an old Thai lady I met in a Thai restaurant. It was meant to be a nice trip to see some sites and meet her family and get to learn about Thailand.

However once I arrived and I don't want to go into to much detail. I was forced into marriage with her daughter. In hindsight I probably could of avoided this but regardless of that it happened.

I'm now back in uk and have never seen or spoke with any of them since apart from when I contacted this woman on Skype to try and get a divorce

my now gf here in uk dosent know I'm married in Thailand also

I didn't sleep with the woman who is meant to be my wife and we never talk. My question is how can I know if I'm free to marry in uk ? I haven't got a divorced paper and don't really have hundreds of spare pounds for a lawyer.

I'm hoping that if I went to get married at a registry office in uk that the Thai marriage wouldent show up and I could just get married here.

The documents from the marriage I have but I think the amphur office if that's correct may have sent a translated copy to the Britain embassy but I'm not sure. I have translated documents in my room locked away.

How would I find out if I'm free to marry here without asking to much and shooting myself in the foot. Also if it turns out that for me to marry my gf here I need to first abtain a divorce or maybe annulment ? Forced into it although dont really have proof, haven't seen or spoke with her over 1 and a half years , no way to contact her now, blocked and delete. Skype account, don't know where she is or how to contact her and can't go to Thailand ???

Where can I turn and what choices do I have ? Any help is much appreciated and really needed badly thanks .

When u say eventually it means it won't come out here then ? It's only £70 to get married at registry office

It's about £600 or more to fly to Thailand and get all whatever done. Plus I don't even know where she is or how to find her. I live here and all my money goes on my flat and bills etc.

I just need to know if I can get married here. Regardless of whatever in Thailand. After what happened to me I have no intention of returning.

I just want to move on with my life

I get so stressed about this

English law generally recognizes the marriage of a British citizen wherever it occurs. To marry someone else without legally terminating the existing marriage is bigamy, which is a criminal offence in the UK, carrying a maximum penalty of 7 years imprisonment! The marriage to your English fiancee would also be invalid.

You can divorce in Thailand fairly easily, I believe even without your wife's consent or presence, after a certain number of years have passed (5 years?), but you will likely need to be in Thailand to do this. Suggest you PM a poster here called Mario2008, who will be able to advise you better - or hopefully he will respond to this thread.

You may also be able to terminate the marriage using the English legal system. Non-consummation of a marriage (i.e. no sex) is grounds for an annulment (rather than divorce), but If I recall correctly, proceedings for annulment must be commenced within 6 months of the wedding. Obviously, the fact that you have lost contact with your spouse is a problem, however it is not a totally insurmountable one, as procedures exist to cover this eventuality.

I strongly suggest that you take legal advice. Many solicitors will give you a free initial consultation to assess your case and advise on your options. They are also nowadays required to give you an estimate of how much it is likely to cost to pursue the matter.

Edited by Rumpole

Thankyou. And yes I would need to do it from uk

Also I did say I had the documents locked in my room but when I cleaned my old stuff out I realise now I threw them out as I just want to forget it ever happened. Will this also be a problem ?

Thankyou. And yes I would need to do it from uk

Also I did say I had the documents locked in my room but when I cleaned my old stuff out I realise now I threw them out as I just want to forget it ever happened. Will this also be a problem ?

It is certainly another hurdle to overcome, yes. smile.png You may have to arrange to get copies from the Amphur office. A Thai lawyer will likely be able to do it for you - with the additional expense this will entail. Alternatively, it may be possible for you just to swear an affidavit. See what the solicitor says.

Whatever you do, and whatever advice you may receive to the contrary on this board, DO NOT be tempted to just ignore the marriage to the Thai and go ahead and marry your English fiancee regardless. The Thai girl could at any time reappear to once again intrude upon your life with disastrous consequences. You risk a criminal conviction, probable imprisonment (English judges seem to really dislike bigamists), and the destruction of your life and relationship in the UK. Do things legally.

Edited by Rumpole