Duty Free To Australia

overherebc

I just went over and bought my sons fiancee back for him.I had bought a carton at 7/11.They let me have a few more 3 packets so I thought 7 packets were in the bin but he said no 3 packets for her to so I lost 4 packets.Liquor allowance is 2.5 litres.

"Bought my sons fiancee"..................was she duty free ? cheesy.gif

No bought my sons fiancee back for him.She was scared to fly on her own.Anyway she didnt like it I have to take her back Sunday.Then I have to stay a month then come home then go back to to LOS for 6 months I am starting to not like it

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know why you cant purchase alcohol in Thailand to take to Australia? But its Ok in Singapore?

The most likely reason is that airside security at Thailand's airports (eg checks on stock being bought into the D/free shops) is considered inadequate - which is not the case in Singapore.

Does anyone know why you cant purchase alcohol in Thailand to take to Australia? But its Ok in Singapore?

The most likely reason is that airside security at Thailand's airports (eg checks on stock being bought into the D/free shops) is considered inadequate - which is not the case in Singapore.

But you can buy your smokes, perfumes and chocolates and other junk in Thai airports?? No I think its a money grab, sorry for being cynical
  • Like 1

went to Australia not long ago , and was told I could not take alcohol back . This is the Australian government just wanting you to spend the money in their duty free shops , which by the way are not that duty free

Nonsense.

You can take alcohol back, in fact you can take 2.25 litres back. Any adult can.

What you can't do is take a bottle of liquid on the plane that is over 100ml.

So you need to buy it before you do your checked in luggage.

But you can buy your smokes, perfumes and chocolates and other junk in Thai airports?? No I think its a money grab, sorry for being cynical

IrishIvan, it is about security, not having liquids over 100ml on the plane. You can take 2.25 litres in your checked in luggage.

went to Australia not long ago , and was told I could not take alcohol back . This is the Australian government just wanting you to spend the money in their duty free shops , which by the way are not that duty free

Nonsense.

You can take alcohol back, in fact you can take 2.25 litres back. Any adult can.

Well how do you explain that people (like myself) who buy it at Singapore airport

and carry it on as hand luggage?

As stated, you can do it from other countries, but not Thailand for some reason.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

Not true, its impossible to buy duty free at Phuket/ Suwanabhumi Airport bound for Australia. Try doing it on a direct Virgin - Perth flight. I do a lot of flying and its true.

I have purchased duty free in Singapore/ Jakarta/KL airport many times and taken it in my carry on. Once you clear the metal detectors before boarding they give it to you in a specially sealed bag.

Nonsense.

Well how do you explain that people (like myself) who buy it at Singapore airport

As stated, you can do it from other countries, but not Thailand for some reason.

Regards

Will

Your 100 percent right will, its impossible to buy alcohol in Thailand and then board the plane. You can buy everything else in Phuket airport. No-one can tell me why

Nonsense.

You can take liquids on the plane provided its in a specially sealed bag. Any airport in the world will allow you to buy duty free and then board the plane. For some reason Australian authorities have a problem with alcohol (not perfumes) being purchased in Thailand

Nonsense.

Regards

Will

Lax security on their part perhaps? You would have to ask them.

Here are the Australian rules, for flights within Australia.

The limit is 100ml, as you can reference in the article. I have quoted a relevant part.

http://travelsecure....lags/index.aspx

• The restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels apply to international flights to and from Australia, and to passengers on the domestic leg of an international flight within Australia.
  • The restrictions limit the quantity of liquids, aerosols and gels passengers may take onboard the aircraft with them, including duty free liquids, aerosols and gels.
  • The restrictions apply to products carried in the cabin of the aircraft by passengers. They do not apply to checked baggage carried in the hold of the aircraft. However, restrictions on dangerous goods still apply.
  • Certain exemptions apply for medicines, medical products, medical devices, and baby products that you may need during the flight. Details of these exemptions are covered in the exemptions part of this site.

Nonsense.

You can take liquids on the plane provided its in a specially sealed bag. Any airport in the world will allow you to buy duty free and then board the plane. For some reason Australian authorities have a problem with alcohol (not perfumes) being purchased in Thailand

No. It is about not having any liquid in the cabin in containers over 100ml. If the container is over 100ml it does not matter if the bag is sealed or not.

However, you can carry those very same liquids with your checked in luggage.

You can carry sealed containers with liquid in, over 100ml, if purchased at the duty free place, if that container is delivered to the boarding gate.

Edited by BookMan

Nonsense.

Regards

Will

Lax security on their part perhaps? You would have to ask them.

Here are the Australian rules, for flights within Australia.

The limit is 100ml, as you can reference in the article. I have quoted a relevant part.

http://travelsecure....lags/index.aspx

• The restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels apply to international flights to and from Australia, and to passengers on the domestic leg of an international flight within Australia.
  • The restrictions limit the quantity of liquids, aerosols and gels passengers may take onboard the aircraft with them, including duty free liquids, aerosols and gels.
  • The restrictions apply to products carried in the cabin of the aircraft by passengers. They do not apply to checked baggage carried in the hold of the aircraft. However, restrictions on dangerous goods still apply.
  • Certain exemptions apply for medicines, medical products, medical devices, and baby products that you may need during the flight. Details of these exemptions are covered in the exemptions part of this site.

I don't think that's the case.

Singapore airport have tight security. I also have friends who bring in

Duty free alcohol from Africa and England.

It just seems to apply to Thailand, I'm not sure why.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

Nonsense.

No. It is about not having any liquid in the cabin in containers over 100ml. If the container is over 100ml it does not matter if the bag is sealed or not.

However, you can carry those very same liquids with your checked in luggage.

You can carry sealed containers with liquid in, over 100ml, if purchased at the duty free place, if that container is delivered to the boarding gate.

The boarding gates in Thai airports differ somewhat to Singapore Airport. As once you clear customs you go through the metal detector. Then you do your shopping and are free to board the plane. Wheras in Singapore you get searched just before joining the aircraft and then have your duty free handed to you
  • Like 1

Your right Will, Aussie authorities have a hard on for Thai alcohol, nothing else is the problem. I could buy 10 litres of duty free perfume at PIA and it wouldnt be a problem

And you must smell lovely IrishIvan!

I guess your 10 litres of perfume is delivered to the boarding gate?

You could take those 10 litres of perfume from Thailand also...if it was in your checked in luggage. Or if they delivered it to the boarding gate for you.

Your right Will, Aussie authorities have a hard on for Thai alcohol, nothing else is the problem. I could buy 10 litres of duty free perfume at PIA and it wouldnt be a problem

You could take those 10 litres of perfume from Thailand also...if it was in your checked in luggage. Or if they delivered it to the boarding gate for you.

No, Thai airports dont deliver to the gate, you enter the duty free zone after you clear customs and go through the metal detector and then free to shop, whereas Singapore you clear customs, go shopping and then each boarding gate has its own metal detector. This is where the duty free is handed to you. I work a 4 on 4 off rotation on tug boats out of Western Australia, I do a lot of flying between the 2 countries, on occasions where I cant get direct flights I go through, Singapore, KL or Jakarta. I know the system well

If it is a money grab, why don't the Oz authorities ban carry-on duty free booze from all airports - after all, that would mean a lot more money?

It is quite clear that security is an issue at Thailand airports. The very differences you describe between delivery of D/F at Swampy/Phuket and Changi point pretty clearly to security concerns with the former.

Perhaps you should swap your cynicism for same analysis. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

No, Thai airports dont deliver to the gate, you enter the duty free zone after you clear customs and go through the metal detector and then free to shop, whereas Singapore you clear customs, go shopping and then each boarding gate has its own metal detector. This is where the duty free is handed to you. I work a 4 on 4 off rotation on tug boats out of Western Australia, I do a lot of flying between the 2 countries, on occasions where I cant get direct flights I go through, Singapore, KL or Jakarta. I know the system well

The metal detectors are irrelevant. It is the boarding gate that is the key issue. If the liquid is delivered from point of purchase to the boarding gate it cannot be tampered with. This is the theory. Zero to do about any money grab by Australian duty free stores or something.

On a side not. I bought cigarettes for a friend at a 7/11 type place and they were cheaper than the airport. Id think Tesco is also probably cheaper than the airport for alcohol also.

Just put the alcohol in your checked in bags and there is no problem

• Like 1

Some pretty stupid posts, as usual. Australia is leading the world in trying to encourage smokers not to smoke, and to discourage people from taking it up in the first place. Most of us would be delighted if there was a zero duty free allowance for the noxious weed. No doubt one day soon that will be the case.

And the rest of the civilised world will applaud, and follow suit in time.

The Nanny State couldn't care less if you smoke, they just want the taxes ro help pay for said Nanny State. So why don't they get real civilized and ban booze, pharmaceuticals, junk food, obesity, those contribute plenty to the death toll, and remember your governmnet knows what's best for you. And that is because bureaucrats are just so much smarter than the rest of us. Delighted about the new restrictions on freedom of speech as well no doubt?

Of course smoking is bad but so are a lot of things.

• Like 1

You definately CANNOT take duty free alcohol from Thailand to Australia. Many posters on here have stated that and it is true.

Every time I have flown directly from Thailand to Aus duty free has refused to sell me the alcohol, they simply ask where I am going and when I tell them to Aus they tell me I cannot take it.

When I have a connecting flight like in KL to Aus I can buy in KL to take.

So please stop the nonsense about limits and carry on etc. You CANNOT buy duty free booze in Thailand to take to Aus.

• Like 2

You definately CANNOT take duty free alcohol from Thailand to Australia. Many posters on here have stated that and it is true.

Every time I have flown directly from Thailand to Aus duty free has refused to sell me the alcohol, they simply ask where I am going and when I tell them to Aus they tell me I cannot take it.

So please stop the nonsense about limits and carry on etc. You CANNOT buy duty free booze in Thailand to take to Aus.

Are you saying you cannot buy duty free alcohol outside of the airport and take it in your carry on luggage?

• Like 1

I went to Australia in Dec 2012 via Hong Kong. I got 2 large duty free bottles in HK, they were about 1L each, may be a bit more even. They saw them and did not bad an eyelid.

They were very serious about smokes though, I can't remember how few you can have, but it was surprisingly small.

There were lots of angry people. mai-pen-rai.....

I went to Australia in Dec 2012 via Hong Kong. I got 2 large duty free bottles in HK, they were about 1L each, may be a bit more even. They saw them and did not bad an eyelid.

They were very serious about smokes though, I can't remember how few you can have, but it was surprisingly small.

There were lots of angry people. mai-pen-rai.....

YEah thats true, you can buy it in HK airport.

The metal detectors are irrelevant. It is the boarding gate that is the key issue. If the liquid is delivered from point of purchase to the boarding gate it cannot be tampered with. This is the theory. Zero to do about any money grab by Australian duty free stores or something.

On a side not. I bought cigarettes for a friend at a 7/11 type place and they were cheaper than the airport. Id think Tesco is also probably cheaper than the airport for alcohol also.

Just put the alcohol in your checked in bags and there is no problem

I noticed this too. The booze is definately cheaper at supermarkets around LOS

Are you saying you cannot buy duty free alcohol outside of the airport and take it in your carry on luggage?

I think people are trying to say (like in my post #6), is that you cannot buy duty free alcohol at the airport's in Thailand

if you're going to Australia. Most people would equate duty free alcohol being purchased at the airport I'd imagine.

And yes, you can purchase it elsewhere and carry it on your check in luggage.

Regards

Will

• Like 1

Here's the Aussie Gov't take on this:

http://www.travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/

http://www.travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/index.aspx (29 June 2012)

Restrictions for inbound flights to Australia

If you want to purchase duty free items when travelling internationally you need to be aware that these items (if packed in your carry-on baggage) are subject to the same restrictions as other liquids, aerosols and gels.

Australia applies restrictions for flights both to and from Australia. Australia requires airlines to put in place procedures at overseas airports for flights to Australia, to ensure that passengers do not have liquids, aerosols and gels in their carry-on baggage in excess of the restrictions. In general, the only liquids, aerosols and gels that are allowed in a passenger's carry-on baggage are:

• liquids, aerosols and gels in containers of 100 millilitres or less, in one resealable bag. The four sides of the resealable area should not add up to more than 80 cm (e.g. 20x20 cm or 15x25 cm);
  • duty free liquids, aerosols and gels purchased at the airport and delivered to the boarding gate for the passenger. No other duty free will be permitted (e.g. duty free purchased at Heathrow will not be permitted through Singapore); and
  • liquid, aerosol or gel products supplied to the passenger onboard the aircraft after departure for Australia (e.g. cans of drink supplied in-flight or duty free purchased on board the aircraft).

Passengers flying to Australia should be aware of the following:

Do Don't

Only carry liquids, aerosols and gels in containers of 100 millilitres or less, packed in a resealable bag. The four sides of the sealed area of the bag should add up to no more than 80 cm.

Don't have liquids, aerosols or gels in containers larger than 100 millilitres in your possession. You will have to surrender these at the security screening point in order to board your aircraft.

Purchase duty free at your last airport before Australia, but make sure it is delivered to the boarding gate. Alternatively, purchase duty free items onboard the last leg of the flight to Australia.

Have your duty free items in their sealed plastic bag ready for screening upon arrival at the Australian international gateway airport transit screening point.

Don't carry duty free purchased at another airport through the screening point, as it will not be allowed on flights to Australia. You risk having to surrender these items. Only duty free delivered to the boarding gate will be allowed onboard flights to Australia.

Did you know?

• You may be subject to secondary screening at the boarding gate by the airline, which may include a bag search.
  • The aviation security restrictions that limit the quantity of liquids, aerosols and gels that passengers may carry in the cabin of an aircraft are not the same as the quantities covered by the Customs duty free allowances.
  • From 1 July 2012 advanced liquid explosive detection equipment is being introduced to the eight Australian international gateway airport transit screening points being Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney Airports. If your flight transits through an Australian international gateway airport en route to your final destination, you and your liquid, aerosol and gel products (including duty free) will be screened at the transit screening point.
  • If at the end of the screening process your liquid, aerosol and gel products (including duty free) are unable to be cleared, items will need to be surrendered for disposal. If your items are cleared you will be able to take them onto your next flight. For more information visit the inbound transit requirement page.

You can purchase duty free alcohol in a lot of countries and bring it back to Australia but they wont let you bring it from Thailand, Ive got no idea why, maybe its too cheap?? haha. The easist thing to do is purchase some on your way into Thailand and then pack it in your bags for the return juorney

Alcohol is cheaper in Australia duty free than from King Power.

Wine is much cheaper in Australia even buying from a normal shop and paying duty.

The clever people buy their alcohol in Cambodia - no tax on wine and spirits there!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

• 2 weeks later...

Article in the travel section of today's SMH about the DF rules for booze:

Grounded by liquid laws

: February 2, 2013 Date

Knowing when to buy is critical if you don't want your duty-free alcohol confiscated when boarding, writes Michael Gebicki.

The scene: an inspection point at an international departure gate in an overseas airport. Security staff examine the carry-on luggage of passengers about to board a flight to Australia. One has a bottle of cognac confiscated and is apoplectic. She bought it from a duty-free shop inside the airport where she boarded her previous flight, she says. Here's the docket, stapled to the outside of a sealed bag. But the officers are stone-faced. She and her cognac will not board this flight together.

Buying is easy, but getting to drink it is another matter.

It's a common experience, repeated hundreds of times daily at airports around the world. For several years, passengers have been restricted in the liquids, aerosols and gels (LAG items) that they may have in their carry-on luggage to a maximum container size of 100 millilitres.

However, once past the security screening point of an international airport, you enter the glittering world of duty-free shops, where alcohol is not packed in 100-millilitre containers. Buying is easy, but getting to drink it is another matter. While the staff behind the duty-free counter at one airport are happy to sell you a bottle of liquor, security staff at another airport are liable to wrench it from your hands. The bite usually comes when your itinerary requires a transit stop.

The problem arises from the restrictions countries impose on inbound aircraft governing the carriage of LAG items.

In the case of Australia, according to the Department of Infrastructure and Transport's TravelSECURE website: "Australia requires airlines to put in place procedures at overseas airports for flights to Australia ... In general, the only liquids, aerosols and gels that are allowed in a passenger's carry-on baggage are ... duty-free liquids, aerosols and gels purchased at the airport and delivered to the boarding gate for the passenger. No other duty-free will be permitted (that is duty-free bought at Heathrow will not be permitted through Singapore)."

How do you make sure you and your duty-free alcohol remain close friends? The fail-safe way is to buy when you arrive at your final destination. Most international airports including Sydney and Melbourne shunt arriving passengers through a duty-free chicane. Another option is to buy your alcohol on-board the aircraft on the final leg of your journey - but the choice is limited.

Finally, you can buy from the duty-free shops in the airport before you board the aircraft that will take you to your final destination. If you do, you need to make sure your purchases are packed in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB), with the invoice attached on the outside. At some airports, such as Singapore's Changi and O.R. Tambo in Johannesburg, you will not be allowed to collect your LAG items at the point of purchase. Instead they will be delivered to a collection point somewhere close to your boarding gate.

Note that you should only buy your duty-free alcohol at the stop immediately prior to your final destination. For example, if you buy duty-free alcohol in London and you're on a flight to Australia that stops in Abu Dhabi, you will not be permitted to board your next flight in Abu Dhabi with your alcohol even though your purchase might be properly packed and documented.

So what happens to all that confiscated booze? Airport staff will tell you it's disposed of. Hmmm

Edited by pgs

As far as I'm concerned, all Smokers should be herded together in a warehouse at the airport....

You can guess the rest, why?

I'll tell you 3 weeks ago I had a terrible bust up with a smoker in a restaurant, it started off as “ can you please blow your smoke in another direction" and ended up with him wanting to beat me up because I objected to smoke ruining my meal.

Selfish prick.

• Like 2

Australia is leading the world in trying to encourage smokers not to smoke,

Why don't they make them illegal then, ohhh thats right they would not be collecting the taxes from them.

I seen this argument lots of times, it cost more to collect and police taxes from cigarettes than its worth. and to be honest, I don't bother with the hassle of buying and carrying drink or anything else now, because I can get most of them cheaper at home anyway.