Smoke, Smog, Dust 2013 Chiang Mai

Tywais

Last 3 days have been like sitting behind a tuk tuks exhaust. today was wondering if this is what is like to have emphycemia.

Been pinning my hopes on this meteorologists report claiming from 19th-22nd low pressure from Burma is bringing heavy rain. Its almost the 21st now.....some experts they seem to be.

nothing on accuweather, just a rise in temp towards the weekend.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=1555

I suspect the aircon now at night is slowly killing us. should we switch off and just get a fan running?

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a TV thread for a year or so ago.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/346633-trat/

It seems that folks leave CM to come here (Clao Lao / Lam Sadet Beach) for a few months for fresh air. Looks horrible up there up north sucking n all that crap. :bah:

We normally go to Ko Chang in March but last year and this year we had things going on that kept us in the smoke. It is pretty cruddy up here at the moment.

I'll fill a bottle up with sea air & pm it to you :thumbsup:

Make it a large or better yet, super-size it!

Yeah, was just going to say that you guys are having a spike. ;)

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

You never know what will be next though.. could be double, or could be half..

May I ask what website you got that from?

The link I have here seems to be old news only

http://www.earthoria.com/air-pollution-levels-in-chiang-mai-rising.html

Last 3 days have been like sitting behind a tuk tuks exhaust. today was wondering if this is what is like to have emphycemia.

Been pinning my hopes on this meteorologists report claiming from 19th-22nd low pressure from Burma is bringing heavy rain. Its almost the 21st now.....some experts they seem to be.

I suspect the aircon now at night is slowly killing us. should we switch off and just get a fan running?

I tried finding another source for the imminent rain predicton but all the weather websites are showing 0% chance of rain. And re a/c I'd leave it on at night, assuming it helps the general air quality in your room.

Yeah, was just going to say that you guys are having a spike. wink.png

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

You never know what will be next though.. could be double, or could be half..

May I ask what website you got that from?

The link I have here seems to be old news only

http://www.earthoria.com/air-pollution-levels-in-chiang-mai-rising.html

aqmthai.com and click on Report

• Like 1

Wait, what? An airconditioner is a machine that filters air as it cools and dehumidifies it. It's what saves you.

First thing in the morning I recommend you run over to Home Pro and buy a pack of 3M "Filtrete" filter material. You have to then take out the filters in your air conditioner (clean them first) then cut the 3M material to size and stick it to the aircon filters (it comes with double sided sticker thingies to attach it). Then run the aircon in the room you're in and keep doors and windows closed as much as possible.

Did anyone see how the PM-10 levels in Mae Hongson were between 469 - 521 ug/m3 between 7 and 8 AM this morning? Staggering.

Has it ever been that bad in Chiang Mai? I can't remember ever seeing numbers that high here.

Did anyone see how the PM-10 levels in Mae Hongson were between 469 - 521 ug/m3 between 7 and 8 AM this morning? Staggering.

Has it ever been that bad in Chiang Mai? I can't remember ever seeing numbers that high here.

Yes, it likely has been that bad in Chiang Mai in the past. I have to say 'likely' because typically the daily average was used for reporting and making comparisons. We only have real-time values that show individual peaks since a year or two. However, looking at a recent very bad year (2007), there were two days with an *average* of around 300:

graph.png

With the current insight in peaks and dips during the day, that must mean that to get to an average of 300 there would need to have been peaks of 500 or higher. Just look at the current (moving) avergae for Mae Hong Son of 260. To get to 300 there may well have been a peak of double that.

And of course in 2007 the values for Mae Hong Son were worse still. The 500 (peak) value for Mae Hong Son isn't even that uncommon.

Compare that to this year, which is so much better in comparison. Only now in the second half of March we're getting some bad values, but nowhere near 2007.

As an aside you have to be careful with looking only at the peaks though; all air quality standards either go by the daily average, or even by a longer period of daily averages above a certain level. Because most of the available data over the past decades is by daily average it makes the most sense to use that for longer term comparisons. (knowing that there were of course peaks above that average, and dips below it.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Driving from Chiangmai to lamphun often, i am very surprised that numbers are that good in Lamphun. Maybe they put some 3M filters on the sensors. I dont see safer air there. This morning pm10 is 61 only. Strange.

Latest reading 8am yesterday.

Driving from Chiangmai to lamphun often, i am very surprised that numbers are that good in Lamphun. Maybe they put some 3M filters on the sensors. I dont see safer air there. This morning pm10 is 61 only. Strange.

Latest reading 8am yesterday.

Ooops you're right , but believe me, yesterday morning was not that good. Maybe the sensor is offline now due to too much oiptimistic result ;-)

Makes the 275 here in Chiangmai today seem mild Edited by mania

It looks real ugly outside my window that's for sure.

15 degrees C this morning in Mae Taeng and the smoke has really settled in. Worst day of the year so far and breathing actually feels strained. Folks coughing everywhere, but locals are still raking leaves into piles and burning them.

On that aqmthai site I see if I use Yupparaj Wittayalai School Chiangmai

I can also select PM25

When interpreting these numbers I had only seen the general AQI Values colored chart

I have also seen this chart attached below.

I am assuming what they call the Pollutant Concentration Breakpoints

the levels that each individual pollutant qualify for the

various warning levels?

Example : PM10 is in the Red Unhealthy Range if it is between 255-354

PM25 is in the Red Unhealthy Range if it is between 65.5-150.4

Is that correct?

Thanks

Edited by mania

Ugh now I dont know why I - again - thought it wouldnt be that bad this year... this was highly predictable, its just what happens with 2 weeks of sunshine and no rain.

Packing up the family and getting out of here...

You know the air in CM is bad when you get to Don Mueang, inhale deeply, and say "AHHHHH, fresh air"

Yes but the No2 levels in BKK smile.png

I wonder which is worse?

One thing I always notice in BKK is the masks the traffic cops wear

are all black around their mouths from filtering exhaust soot.

I guess with the oceans of cars it is to be expected.

Silly question, maybe, but I was thinking of travelling to Chiang Mai next week for the Chiangmai Classic golf at Alpine...Ernie Els is playing. Is it advisable? Surely the Asian Tour would not be holding the event - which is meant to promote tourism - if the air is hazardous to players' and spectators' health?

It's not all that bad really

Silly question, maybe, but I was thinking of travelling to Chiang Mai next week for the Chiangmai Classic golf at Alpine...Ernie Els is playing. Is it advisable? Surely the Asian Tour would not be holding the event - which is meant to promote tourism - if the air is hazardous to players' and spectators' health?

You be the judge. This is just now. Less than 2000 meters visibility.

Normally can see the mountains in the background.

That is new Maya shopping mall construction at Rincome intersection.

post-27132-0-59016200-1363844121_thumb.j

Seems madness to hold such a prestigious event and want to 'promote tourism' at this time of year. The air is shocking today. It has been bad for many weeks now and has got worse. It will almost certainly be bad next week too. Doubt the event will be cancelled though as would be huge loss of face. Wish it was though , then maybe, god forbid, more action was taken to address it. Come to the event if you really want to by all means, but you have been warned.

• Like 1

Seems madness to hold such a prestigious event and want to 'promote tourism' at this time of year. The air is shocking today. It has been bad for many weeks now and has got worse. It will almost certainly be bad next week too. Doubt the event will be cancelled though as would be huge loss of face. Wish it was though , then maybe, god forbid, more action was taken to address it. Come to the event if you really want to by all means, but you have been warned.

Well it would be a questionable decision to go ahead if they have any option to cancel or postpone.

Oh I know let's let many million's people from around the world tune in to watch a tournament and get a super negative impression of Chiang Mai.

This is also one of those clips that local news broadcasts around the world love to show.

• Like 1

Makes the 275 here in Chiangmai today seem mild

attachicon.gifImage2.jpg attachicon.gifImage3.jpg

That's a peak value. You need to go by the average for the day. (Which by the way isn't the moving average; depending on the time of day when you look at the moving average you can get either a very high or very low result. Best to wait for the end of the day and get the true average value.

Then the real situation is that *finally* we managed to get over 120 yesterday. (And likely today too). But that's incredibly late in the season.

Also means I'm not coming back to Chiang Mai just yet. wink.png Anyone else feel like a Pattaya holiday?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Makes the 275 here in Chiangmai today seem mild

attachicon.gifImage2.jpg attachicon.gifImage3.jpg

That's a peak value. You need to go by the average for the day. (Which by the way isn't the moving average; depending on the time of day when you look at the moving average you can get either a very high or very low result. Best to wait for the end of the day and get the true average value.

Then the real situation is that *finally* we managed to get over 120 yesterday. (And likely today too). But that's incredibly late in the season.

Also means I'm not coming back to Chiang Mai just yet. wink.png Anyone else feel like a Pattaya holiday?

Yes that is a pick value but it tells you how bad it can get!

The reading for Chiang mai today around 14:00 is 224 ug/m3..........and it was pretty smokey, actually I think I never seen it like this anywhere else beside Kuala Lumpur and Sumatra in 2005. At 300 ug/m3 they closed all the schools within affected areas and advised everybody to stay indoor! (in KL).

I don't think that it has been done much to stop burning (even though some of the smoke might come from other areas, not from Chiang mai).

It can be late in the season but it doesn't mean it is ideal, and it is easy to say that is not bad when you can avoid it, unfortunately many people can't.

Law enforcement and education should be the key methods to reduce this menace!

Yes that is a pick value but it tells you how bad it can get!

The reading for Chiang mai today around 14:00 is 224 ug/m3..........and it was pretty smokey, actually I think I never seen it like this anywhere else beside Kuala Lumpur and Sumatra in 2005. At 300 ug/m3 they closed all the schools within affected areas and advised everybody to stay indoor! (in KL).

I don't think that it has been done much to stop burning (even though some of the smoke might come from other areas, not from Chiang mai).

It can be late in the season but it doesn't mean it is ideal, and it is easy to say that is not bad when you can avoid it, unfortunately many people can't.

Law enforcement and education should be the key methods to reduce this menace!

and nobody really knows when the season ends because predicting rain is no easy task. If it doesn't start really raining until May then its early in the season. Historically that would be unusual but 2 years ago it rained and rained thru March so this season stuff is not exactly etched in stone.

Does the burning decrease after Sonkran if it doesn't start raining?

I am hoping the rain starts much much sooner.

Both pictures taken at approximately the same time in the morning about a week apart.

Was a red shirt parade going around the CNX moat today also with usual propaganda, wonder if this kicks off the stupidity smoky season.

Before

2a92ob7.jpg

After

oq9lr9.jpg

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

I apologize to the mods for starting a new topic on the same subject. I posted BEFORE noticing this topic already running.

I can now actually see what everyone was talking about. I had heard about the smog in March but this year it never really looked that bad so I thought people must be over reacting. WoW! Today I have to eat my words. I can see the smog hanging right across the road. I can smell it when I breath and already have a cough. Doi Sutthep has completely vanished from sight. I was planning on staying in Chiang Mai for another couple of weeks before going back to Canada, but maybe I'll change my plans. If I can get all my packaged up and contact the person who is going to store my motorbike for 6 months then I just might take a flight south to some beach and spend the remainder of my time down there.