Any Point In A Structural Survey When Buying A Condo?

I'm new to this, so lots of questions!

Wondering if a structural survey for a condo is essential or a costly waste of time? It seems like the major issue is the building's structural integrity which applies to all the units even if the problem exists in one. Are condos required to have a yearly inspection or what sort of information like that might be available?

People talk a lot about poor build quality . . . what are the ramifications of buying into a condo project with poor build quality?

1. Higher maintenance costs down the road?

2. Possibility the whole building needs to be demolished. (What happens then?)

3. Hassles and interruptions from corrective work?

4. Earthquake risk?

5. What else?

There's a place I like that seems to have a (hairline?) crack in a concrete pillar (10th floor, 20 story building) - run a million miles? Or nothing to worry about?

http://imgur.com/8cUgx

http://imgur.com/1xeB0

Only for the reason of peace of mind but what you gonna do if issues found?

Remember Thailand doesn't have building regs as they do in UK and other countries.

You need building consent to build lawfully and to have a building registered but does anyone check quality?

If so, Thailand would be green open spaces more so than it is now!!!!

Good luck anyway.

From the type of wall tiles, I guess the building is over 20 years old. Doubt there is any crack in the structural column. Probably just hairline cracks on the finishing plaster and tiles due to structural movements under windy conditions.

High-rise buildings are designed to sway a little under wind loads.

A survey is required by law every year. Ask for the last one (and more if you can). If they don't have a survey up-to-date then discussing about a particular crack is moot.....because you already know that, sound or not sound, the building is not properly run.

As for that particular crack actually it is possible it might be the side of a concrete pillar in a corner say, usually about 80x60cm perhaps less. Meaningful corroding rebar however displays spalling of the concrete that is very obvious and that is not it (....this is a wonderful fluke in the universe, as it means it's almost impossible not to see rebar corrosion.)

A survey is required by law every year.

Which law are you referring to?

Our building has to have an inspection done every year...according to the manager "it's the law"...however we (the condo) have to hire our own inspector, so I'm assuming if you wanted to you could just give them a bung to approve the building. As such I wouldn't rely on these inspections too much.

As cheeryble said, request a copy of the last inspection details from the condo office, if they can't provide it that's a red flag.

Use your own eyes, look at the beams/columns if there are cracks in them...don't move in smile.png

Also the pictures you posted don't look like they are of the "concrete pillar", it's just a crack in a interior wall which is nothing to worry about IMHO.

Edited by dave111223

Agree with you generally Dave, but in my experience these surveyors are professional men and the surveys detailed and various elements.....say fire systems....are scored and criticised in a constructive way. I couldn't imagine why they would be asked to make a false report unless someone was selling a whole building, and my opinion is they would be hard to corrupt.

It would normally be in the condo's interest to have any problems pointed out.

Edited by cheeryble

Agree with you generally Dave, but in my experience these surveyors are professional men and the surveys detailed and various elements.....say fire systems....are scored and criticised in a constructive way. I couldn't imagine why they would be asked to make a false report unless someone was selling a whole building, and my opinion is they would be hard to corrupt.

It would normally be in the condo's interest to have any problems pointed out.

I've had other committee members suggest that we hire XYZ inspection company who was approve without even coming to the building for XX baht. So you hire a corrupt inspector from the start, not try to corrupt the inspect you're already hired.

Well, I've just seen the report - it's a thick volume of about 100 pages, all in Thai, so I guess I'll need to have someone take a look at that.

Dave - pretty sure that pillar goes from top to the bottom of the building. It's attached to an interior wall though, and there's a crack on the plaster between the wall and the pillar, so pretty sure some movement there. I guess it's mostly a cosmetic concern if I'm just looking at plaster though. Thanks to everybody for comments :)

>As for that particular crack actually it is possible it might be the side of a concrete pillar in a corner say, usually about 80x60cm perhaps less.

Yeah, that's a pretty good description of it - corner unit, column is about 80x50cms

.....in a bathroom it could of course be a vertical column for the common piping one brick thick in which case the crack is irrelevant. You could ascertain this 3ways....

1 it would gurgle occasionally

2 it would correspond to a door in the hallway for reading the meter).

3 if all else fails thump it hard with the ball of your hand. Concrete hurts more than brick, which has a slightly more hollow tone.

Edited by cheeryble

! ALL concrete cracks. period.

!! knowing what's structure vs. infill construction, and knowing a concrete shrinkage crack from a movement crack are what's important.

!!! if you don't have this expertise, and you care about these issues, hire an independent, professional, architect or engineer to inspect and provide a report directly to you.

!!!! if you're looking at high rises, buy in buildings BUILT in 2008 or later, by a reputable developer. The Codes were upgraded in 2007 after an international seismic working group reported their findings for the Bangkok metro area.

Feel free to PM me if you require more info.

Only for the reason of peace of mind but what you gonna do if issues found?

Remember Thailand doesn't have building regs as they do in UK and other countries.

You need building consent to build lawfully and to have a building registered but does anyone check quality?

If so, Thailand would be green open spaces more so than it is now!!!!

Good luck anyway.

There's actually lots of building regulations in Thailand.