Vodafone Broadband Dongle In Thailand

irishken

I have a Vodafone broadband dongle and i am wondering if i brought it to Thailand and just bought a sim card for it would i get internet connection or does the sim have to match the stick itself.I will be in isaan for about 10 days and the wife's sister has no internet in her house. I'd just like to know if anyone has done this before with there own mobile internet devices.

Thank you

You'll probably find that the dongle will work only with the vodoafone settings, in other words its locked to their system. You could unlock it but if your going to use it again in your home country, you really would be better off getting a dongle here in Thailand. I did that with an 3 dongle, it was hit and miss. Or you could just get a internet sim and use your mobile to connect your laptop to the internet.

If your staying up country you will only get edge gprs signal for internet!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks guys for the information.ill probably just buy a dongle and sim in thailand

It's not a big problem to unlock the modem and to flash it with the generic connection software and also not a problem to continue using it with Vodafone in the UK.

The only difference is that you will need to enter the APN details manually the first time.

Better than wasting money on a new modem, if you have a little time on your hands.

What the model number of the modem?

What i do is just use bluetooth connected to my phone . I use DTAC - about 199 baht for 20 hours . Seems to work everywhere DTAC can get a signal . Sometimes i can get faster speeds on DTAC than on WI Fi here in BKK .

Thanks guys for the information.ill probably just buy a dongle and sim in thailand

It's not a big problem to unlock the modem and to flash it with the generic connection software and also not a problem to continue using it with Vodafone in the UK.

The only difference is that you will need to enter the APN details manually the first time.

Better than wasting money on a new modem, if you have a little time on your hands.

hi.thanks for your info but i wouldn't have a clue about unlocking it. the model number is k3765 and its vodafone ireland but i am sure they are pretty much the same as UK. i never use it in ireland as i have wifi where i want so if i can only use it in thailand and saves me from buying a new one it would be great as ill only be there for about 10 days.ill be in isaan close to the laos border if thats any help with what provider to use

cheers

Edited by irishken

What i do is just use bluetooth connected to my phone . I use DTAC - about 199 baht for 20 hours . Seems to work everywhere DTAC can get a signal . Sometimes i can get faster speeds on DTAC than on WI Fi here in BKK .

Hi. I never taught of that. I have just had a look on youtube how to do it. I have a Blackberry 9900 so its probably a bit different to your own phone. You have to connect through a usb but ill try it when i get home from work. Do you know if you can get a good connection with DTAC in Isann

Edited by irishken

Where would you get the APN details from for Dtac please.....??

This follows on from downloading a Generic Dashboard I mentioned on another recently started thread same sub forum.

Hi. I never taught of that. I have just had a look on youtube how to do it. I have a Blackberry 9900 so its probably a bit different to your own phone. You have to connect through a usb but ill try it when i get home from work. Do you know if you can get a good connection with DTAC in Isann

DTAC is good around Siskaret but i haven't tried it further North except Nong Khai about 4 years ago and it was poor up there. AIS gets better reception as its previous owner of AIS was in a position to extend coverage over most of Thailand before he sold the company to Singtel. I prefer DTAC myself and you can go into a DTAC store and they will set it all up for you if you bring in your computer and phone. I just used a Nokia 6303 but anyphone with bluetooth will work. You don't need to use a USB connection.

DTAC is good around Siskaret but i haven't tried it further North except Nong Khai about 4 years ago and it was poor up there. AIS gets better reception as its previous owner of AIS was in a position to extend coverage over most of Thailand before he sold the company to Singtel. I prefer DTAC myself and you can go into a DTAC store and they will set it all up for you if you bring in your computer and phone. I just used a Nokia 6303 but anyphone with bluetooth will work. You don't need to use a USB connection.

yeah but doesn't your computer also need bluetooth to connect to your phone. i am not sure mine has. i have also been watching some youtube videos on how to unlock the dongle but as cirencester said i would need to get the VPN for DTAC or whatever company i would be using

Where would you get the APN details from for Dtac please.....??

This follows on from downloading a Generic Dashboard I mentioned on another recently started thread same sub forum.

APN: www.dtac.co.th

Username and password remain blank.

Dial number(if you need it): *99#

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

hi.thanks for your info but i wouldn't have a clue about unlocking it. the model number is k3765 and its vodafone ireland but i am sure they are pretty much the same as UK. i never use it in ireland as i have wifi where i want so if i can only use it in thailand and saves me from buying a new one it would be great as ill only be there for about 10 days.ill be in isaan close to the laos border if thats any help with what provider to use

cheers

There are two types of K3765; the K3765-H(uawei) or the K3765-Z(TE). Which is it?

cheers

There are two types of K3765; the K3765-H(uawei) or the K3765-Z(TE). Which is it?

made by Huawei

cheers

made by Huawei

You can try Flashing first and then unlocking. If that doesn't work, you can try it the other way around.

First of all you'll need to plug the modem in and let it install it's horrible Vodafone software. Once it is completely installed, you can close down the Vodafone software and run the Dashboard Update.

If you wish, after the Vodafone software installation stage, we can attempt to unlock before the Flashing/replacement of the Vodafone software. It won't hurt to try.

Is the modem already installed on the computer? Which OS will be running?

Once you have installed the modem to a PC, you can go here or here to generate unlock and flashing codes from the IMEI of the unit.

Keep those to one side, you will need them once you have flashed the modem with the new Dashboard.

The finished unit will be compatible with AIS and TOT 3G and EDGE with the rest.

Also useful for any other foreign trips.

APN details for the networks can be found here

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Once the flashing has been confirmed successful, you can remove the modem, safely, then to un-install the horrible Vodafone software from the computer. Once un-installed, you can re-insert the modem and let it install the new software that was flashed to the modem. At some point you may be asked for flashing codes or an unlocking code.

You should have those generated and to hand from the links earlier.

Then it's just a matter of entering the profile details for the SIMs that you intend to use. That way you'll be up and running as soon as you get the SIMs and apply any packages.

Useful things to have. I also have a 3 Ireland PAYG SIM which I use to roam at no extra cost in the UK and Scandinavia.

You can ignore the Dashboard Update in #15. Use this version instead.

You may come up against a problem or two, such as having to manually delete the Vodafone and perhaps old Huawei Drivers from the PC on which you use to do the Flashing, in order for the 'new' modem to be recognised by that PC.

Should be fine for others.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

You can ignore the Dashboard Update in #15. Use this version instead.

You may come up against a problem or two, such as having to manually delete the Vodafone and perhaps old Huawei Drivers from the PC on which you use to do the Flashing, in order for the 'new' modem to be recognised by that PC.

Should be fine for others.

thanks mate and sorry for the slow reply. i appreciate all the help. i will bookmark this page and hopefully i can sort it.

thank you