Voip In Thailand

girlx

I am in a position where I need VOIP, with a US phone number that I can use from here. I have been told that it is banned in Thailand, and I tried to order Vonage but they won't ship the adapter here... I heard about SkypeIn but it's still in beta and I can't find any real info on how it works....so what are my options? Is it possible at all?

Thx

Edited by girlx

I am in a position where I need VOIP, with a US phone number that I can use from here. I have been told that it is banned in Thailand, and I tried to order Vonage but they won't ship the adapter here... so what are my options? Is it possible at all?

Thx

Vonage is available at regular retailers like Office Depot, Staples, Amazon.com, etc. and perhaps you can find one of them that will ship to Thailand. You may have to have someone in the US forward on the adapter if you have friends or family here. Vonange isn't one of the cheaper options out there, by the way.

Broadvoice allows you to use a softphone (software) instead of an adapter, although you have to leave the computer on to receive calls that way. They will also provide a regular VOIP adapter if desired. Skypein would be a similar situation. Basically, you have to have the software running if you want to answer calls when they come in. If it's not, callers will have to leave voicemail.

For Skype and softphones, you need a headset to use it, not a regular phone. Or a headset and a desk microphone. Also, you need a high speed connection, not dial-up to use Skype or a softphone.

I've been using Vonage for a year now here in Thailand. I have a US number. I ordered it from Vonage and had it shipped to an address in the US, then a friend shipped it here to me.

The calls are excellent 95% of the time. People have no idea that I am calling via VoIP until I tell them. In fact, the only issue I really have is, some "friends" just cannot grasp the concept of world time zones. I have to unplug the phone before going to bed to prevent the occassional ring from the US in the middle of the night.

I've been using Vonage for a year now here in Thailand. I have a US number. I ordered it from Vonage and had it shipped to an address in the US, then a friend shipped it here to me.

The calls are excellent 95% of the time. People have no idea that I am calling via VoIP until I tell them. In fact, the only issue I really have is, some "friends" just cannot grasp the concept of world time zones. I have to unplug the phone before going to bed to prevent the occassional ring from the US in the middle of the night.

I have also had Vonage here in BKK for over year and I think it is great...For basically $25 a month I can make unlimited calls to my friends and customers in the US and Canada... The only change I had to make was the "adapter". The one that comes with it is 110V and I went to Fortune IT and found the correct 220V model ..cost 350 baht