Thailand Declares War On Piracy, Intellectual Property Violation: Nattawut

webfact

Thailand declares war on piracy, intellectual property violation

By English News

20130118093304.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 18 – Thailand will set up a special centre to crack down on intellectual property infringement with tough government action against violators, according to Deputy Commerce Minister Nattawut Saikua.

The minister said the Policy Committee of the National Intellectual Property Bureau has moved to set up the Operations Centre for the Suppression of Intellectual Property (IP) Infringement to deal strictly with the long-standing issue. Mr Nattawut himself will head the centre.

Several IP-related laws such as legislation concerning copyright, patent, trademarks, food and drug regulation, and consumer protection will be applied to take legal action against IP violators, Mr Nattawut said.

The centre will also monitor money trails, tax payment records and money laundering activities of piracy suspects, he said, adding that the authorities are keeping a close watch on the movement of a major producer of IP-infringed products, his warehouse and distribution channels in Bangkok and upcountry.

An arrest of the violator is imminent, he said.

Mr Nattawut said the IP meeting on Thursday also agreed to intensify an effort to have Thailand removed from the Priority Watch List (PWL) in a report prepared annually by the Office of the United States Trade Representative under Section 301 as amended to the Trade Act.

Thailand is accelerating action to prevent IP infringement such as amending the copyright law to protect IP on the Internet and customs law to empower authorities to confiscate pirated merchandise.

The measures should materialise in time for the next PWL evaluation in April, the minister said, adding that proprietors of commercial complexes where pirated products are sold will be invited by the authorities to be briefed on the government’s anti-piracy policy. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-01-18

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your face Lady Gaga!

She must feel so stupid now with this show of defiance.

I look forward to seeing no more pirated goods on the streets or in the malls.

I think Thailand has it right - one step forward, two steps back. That's the key to progress.

Edited by rkidlad

Most posters make a joke of this.

But then where have gone all the small shops that used to sell fake watches?

But then have gone all the shops that used to sell copies of brand name jeans?

But then why sellers of DVD copies in open markets just do not show up for some days or weeks?

In your face Lady Gaga!

She must feel so stupid now with this show of defiance.

I look forward to seeing no more pirated goods on the streets or in the malls.

I think Thailand has it right - one step forward, two steps back. That's the key to progress.

Not sure how to interpret you post. It makes no sense.
  • Like 2

"...the authorities are keeping a close watch on the movement of a major producer of IP-infringed products, his warehouse and distribution channels in Bangkok and upcountry.

"An arrest of the violator is imminent..."

Phew! Thanks for the heads-up, BiB! Time to lie low until the next flavour of the month.

I think that we have heard the same story thousands of times before. As long as the sellers keeps paying to the BiB, pirated goods will still be available.

To the Intellectual Property right owners: Please do not forget to provide us the possibility to buy the original stuff, which is very often impossible to find in Thailand !!!

try to find a legal copy of a dvd or some nonthai music thats not copied ,, i rather download at least i know that all the tracks are actualy there in a decent quality

and piracy is not theft ,,,its piracy

• Like 2

When people's wages increase, this problem will solve itself. But in the mean time, this isn't going to go anywhere.

Some how I don't think a raise to 300 baht is going to help.

People making 9,000 baht a month are not going to be looking for expensive stuff when they can get it cheaper.

Heck even Lady Gaga! came to Thailand tio get a fake watch.

Edited by hellodolly

Quote:

... Operations Centre for the Suppression of Intellectual Property (IP) Infringement...

... to deal strictly...

... laws... will be applied...

... keeping a close watch...

...An arrest of the violator is imminent...

clap2.gif impressive!

• Like 1

Most posters make a joke of this.

But then where have gone all the small shops that used to sell fake watches?

But then have gone all the shops that used to sell copies of brand name jeans?

But then why sellers of DVD copies in open markets just do not show up for some days or weeks?

If you are inferring that they are not there why set up the commission that Mr Nattawut himself will head.

Fantastic news and we have the photographic proof !! I estimate there must be goods seized from at least 10 maybe 15 stalls on Sukhumvit.

Now multiply that by 20, add the stalls in Patpong, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai....... we should be legitimate by 2020 !!! clap2.gif