Amazing Pings Of My Internet In Sukhumvit

shariq607

LA is interesting, that ping is a bit out of whack with your results.

http://www.speedtest.../2444603556.png

I am using fiber optic and my Isp has guaranteed me with better then average international bandwidth and the results are not fake

Is your fibre connection from TOT or 3bb? That's interesting that they say that about intl bandwidth. I've been considering a TOT FTTH package but I can't get any sense out of them regarding what the various packages mean.

I am using fiber optic and my Isp has guaranteed me with better then average international bandwidth and the results are not fake

Is your fibre connection from TOT or 3bb? That's interesting that they say that about intl bandwidth. I've been considering a TOT FTTH package but I can't get any sense out of them regarding what the various packages mean.

Yes even at first i was confused about their ftth packages, i remember when i was signing up the sales person gave me a leaflet that had various packages and prices i was so dam_n confused because the leaflet showed 20 mb download speed for 2000 baht and another 20 mb download speed for 9000 something baht so i asked her whats the difference in both the packages it has got the same speed but why one is more expensive then the other and she didn't have any answer, so she called her manager and he told me that the difference is in international bandwidth and number of users sharing thats why its more expensive and he asked do i use more international sites and i said yes and he told me that if i take this package he will guarantee better then average international bandwidth.

Shariq, aren't you the same member who previously posted about very high internet speeds with some fiber connection (CAT) in a different location???

The only problem, in the prior case you posted on as best as I can recall, is no one else who posted here was ever able to replicate your results in that instance, including some friend of yours who had signed up for the same service at the time, and got vastly slower results.

If you're going to make posts like this, at least be clear on just what ISP you're using and what exact plan you've subscribed to, including the price per month and any initial connection fee.

Last time I had checked with TOT a few months ago, they didn't yet have any fiber internet service available in central BKK.

Here's at least part of the prior thread I was recalling:

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry4913175

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Here was the prior ThaiVisa thread on TOT Fiber2U in BKK.... Nothing recent there...

http://www.thaivisa....ibre-2u-in-bkk/

That thread included my last contact with TOT in BKK on Fiber2U, which was almost exactly one year ago... Guess it's time to check back again...

Posted 2012-01-17 21:49:12

I live in the BKK Sukhumvit area... and here's what I've gathered from TOT on their fiber internet lately...

First stopped by their small office in what used to be the CarreFour shopping center at OnNut... Talked the internet lady there, and she knew what it was, but knew nothing about it... Asked us to check with the main office for our area near the Chidlom BTS Station.

Stopped by the Chidlom area TOT office today and went to the internet desk there... The lady we got didn't even recognize what we were talking about re fiber, and kept trying to sell us a wifi or DSL package... No thanks... Finally, I had my wife get her to call around....

And finally, we got a TOT engineer guy of some kind out in the field talking on his mobile phone. He knew what their fiber internet was, and when we told him our lower Sukhumvit soi, he said wait another six months or so... He said they had no fiber service in our area at present.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Here was the prior ThaiVisa thread on TOT Fiber2U in BKK.... Nothing recent there...

http://www.thaivisa....ibre-2u-in-bkk/

That thread included my last contact with TOT in BKK on Fiber2U, which was almost exactly one year ago... Guess it's time to check back again...

Posted 2012-01-17 21:49:12

I live in the BKK Sukhumvit area... and here's what I've gathered from TOT on their fiber internet lately...

First stopped by their small office in what used to be the CarreFour shopping center at OnNut... Talked the internet lady there, and she knew what it was, but knew nothing about it... Asked us to check with the main office for our area near the Chidlom BTS Station.

Stopped by the Chidlom area TOT office today and went to the internet desk there... The lady we got didn't even recognize what we were talking about re fiber, and kept trying to sell us a wifi or DSL package... No thanks... Finally, I had my wife get her to call around....

And finally, we got a TOT engineer guy of some kind out in the field talking on his mobile phone. He knew what their fiber internet was, and when we told him our lower Sukhumvit soi, he said wait another six months or so... He said they had no fiber service in our area at present.

I live in the same area as you do and I have seen fiber optics cable laying around all sukhumvit polls and recently I have seen tot badged technicians dragging the fiber optic cables to my neighbor so you should definitely recheck the availability with tot

• 2 weeks later...

You misunderstand me. I have the same speed as you, but look at the link I gave you- my ping is 10ms and yours is 200. If your ping remains that bad you should run a traceroute to further diagnose, although I suspect it was a temporary network issue.

You misunderstand me. I have the same speed as you, but look at the link I gave you- my ping is 10ms and yours is 200. If your ping remains that bad you should run a traceroute to further diagnose, although I suspect it was a temporary network issue.

err. sorry to disappoint you but 10ms to LA is beyond the realm of physics. Your 10ms sadly is to your ISP invisible caching/proxy server (Located in Thailand to reduce TRUE's international bandwidth costs)

Your Real PING to LA on true will be around 250ms-380ms.

TOT do not use caching servers hence the good REALISTIC ping's for a fibre connection to LA from here.

You could do the maths distance to LA and speed of electrons. 10ms would be way faster than the speed of light.. smile.png

In conclusion your speed result and your ping result are in a word fake :)

Edited by negreanu
  • Like 2

err. sorry to disappoint you but 10ms to LA is beyond the realm of physics. Your 10ms sadly is to your ISP invisible caching/proxy server (Located in Thailand to reduce TRUE's international bandwidth costs)

Your Real PING to LA on true will be around 250ms-380ms.

TOT do not use caching servers hence the good REALISTIC ping's for a fibre connection to LA from here.

You could do the maths distance to LA and speed of electrons. 10ms would be way faster than the speed of light.. smile.png

In conclusion your speed result and your ping result are in a word fake smile.png

Nope, the clue is in the app being flash...

have a think....

what does flash have available to it...

Ill give you a second clue...

think layers...

in your own time.

tongue.png spoilsport.

Edited by OxfordWill

Large distances on Earth

For example, given the equatorial circumference of the Earth is about 40,075 km and c about 300,000 km/s, the theoretical shortest time for a piece of information to travel half the globe along the surface is about 67 milliseconds. When light is travelling around the globe in an optical fibre, the actual transit time is longer, in part because the speed of light is slower by about 35% in an optical fibre, depending on its refractive index n.[71] Furthermore, straight lines rarely occur in global communications situations, and delays are created when the signal passes through an electronic switch or signal regenerator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

Large distances on Earth

For example, given the equatorial circumference of the Earth is about 40,075 km and c about 300,000 km/s, the theoretical shortest time for a piece of information to travel half the globe along the surface is about 67 milliseconds. When light is travelling around the globe in an optical fibre, the actual transit time is longer, in part because the speed of light is slower by about 35% in an optical fibre, depending on its refractive index n.[71] Furthermore, straight lines rarely occur in global communications situations, and delays are created when the signal passes through an electronic switch or signal regenerator.

http://en.wikipedia..../Speed_of_light

em...Correct. smile.png

God bless True's invisible proxy's :)

Edited by negreanu

10-15 ms ping times to anywhere international outside Thailand, and perhaps some adjoining countries, are simply FAKE, and as Negreanu points out above, the result of ISPs using Thailand based proxies. It's those local connections that are measured by the speed test utilities, even though the website is showing a test to some location in another country.

Contrary to popular opinion here, data traveling over international internet gateways does not travel faster than the speed of light.