Bangkok To Darwin

lujanit

I need to travel to Darwin. All the searches I've done seem to go via Singapore and then either Perth or Sydney which is crazy. The main airline servicing Darwin seems to be Jetstar and their fees are expensive.

I can't find any direct flight from BKK to Darwin. Does anyone know of one?

Is there a direct flight from Singapore to Darwin, again I can't find one.

I thought of going via Jakarta but again there doesn't seem to be a direct flight.

Has anyone done this trip? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Yes I have. Probably the easiest way is without talking to a trvel agent is get to Sydney perhaps fly BA from BKK then Qantas from Sydney. Or just get to any main city and domestic flight to Darwin. Ive gone Adl to Darwin before. Horrible place.

Airfare $467.92 Tax $157.42

AUD $625.34

Total airfare per adult

AUD $832.35

Final Price for all passengers

Show Price Details

QF.gif

CX.gif

Qantas Airways in conjunction with Cathay Pacific (Codeshares apply) Travel Time 26 Jul from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International (BKK) to Darwin (DRW) via Singapore 1 flight at 11:45 AM 14h 15m

Edited by krisb

The above price is the cheapest I could find, but it is a price for July this year. I was looking for prices on an unrelated holiday and it just saved these dates. Luckily for you its via Singapore, the quickest route Id say.

Edited by krisb

SIN/DRW is the most convenient route using Jetstar. There are no BKK/DRW direct flights, you have to go via somewhere.

Check other airlines for a BKK/SIN fare which could possibly give you better connection times, and price.

If cost is your concern, check Air Asia X, BKK/PER via KUL and then domestic, PER/DRW (using QF, JQ or VA).

More expensive will be BKK/SYD, then domestic, SYD/DRW.

Edited by UbonOz

Yes I have. Probably the easiest way is without talking to a trvel agent is get to Sydney perhaps fly BA from BKK then Qantas from Sydney. Or just get to any main city and domestic flight to Darwin. Ive gone Adl to Darwin before. Horrible place.

BKK-SYD-DRW Sounds awful. I have to get to Cairns and changing at SYD is very inconvenient. I wish TG still flew to CNS.

Realistically, VIA Singapore is the best bet IMO.

• Like 1

BKK-SYD-DRW Sounds awful. I have to get to Cairns and changing at SYD is very inconvenient. I wish TG still flew to CNS.

Try Air Asia X to Gold Coast(OOL), then domestic to Cairns.

I used them last year to SYD then domestic to Cairns.

Had no problems with AAX.

Total THB

DEPART

FD2915 /D7 236

Bangkok (DMK) to Perth (PER)

Saturday, 2 March 2013

Depart 1800 Arrive 0520 (+1 day)

Transfer in Kuala Lumpur (KUL)

1 Guest @ 5,512.00 THB5,512.00 THB

Airport charges & fees 2,950.00 THB

RETURN

D7 237 /AK1946

Perth (PER) to Bangkok (DMK)

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Depart 0635 Arrive 1550

Transfer in Kuala Lumpur (KUL)

1 Guest @ 3,610.00 THB3,610.00 THB

Airport charges & fees 4,424.00 THB

Total THB

There are good fares around, above is an example of AAX, BKK/PER via KUL, with good connections.

Happy hunting.

biggrin.png Thanks for the excellent replies guys. I did some research on Jetstar and the reviews are not exactly rave especially in the seat/legroom area. I am pretty tall (183 cm/6') so this type of seating is hard on me. Also the Jetstar basic fee sounds okay but when you start to add extras like baggage, decent seat, food it's really not that much extra to go with a full service airline.

I did some poking around on the SG/Silk Air site and while the fare is a bit higher it seems the best alternative. Also one option with going with SG is that I can get a 42 hour layover in SIN which means I cold catch up with some friends. Who wants to go to Perth or Sydney to get to Darwin? Crazy!

I'm surprised that Garuda don't fly into Darwin. Were they banned from Oz a few years ago because of their terrible safety record? My memory isn't what it used to be wink.png

Silk Air will be your best bet. Darwin is a great city for a year or two. I think people there for many years get a bit funny. It is the best example of succesfull multi-cultralism I have seen in the world.

Well fly whatever makes you happy mate. Didnt realise we are booking your ticket as well as the op.

Well fly whatever makes you happy mate. Didnt realise we are booking your ticket as well as the op.

I think the point he was making was that flying through Sydney to get to Darwin would be a pain in the a@$, as shown by his experience of it being very inconvenient to go through Sydney to get to Cairns.

You gave the guy crap advice. Anyone can see that.

You gave the guy crap advice. Anyone can see that.

Not really. BKK to Sydney is usually a cheap option. Its easy to get from Sydney to Darwin. Reason for it being easy is you are in the Sydney airport and walking to the gate with the plane that goes to Darwin isnt that hard. I dont see how Cairns got into this? But whatever, fly to the North Pole and walk to Darwin. Edited by krisb

Not really. BKK to Sydney is usually a cheap option. Its easy to get from Sydney to Darwin. Reason for it being easy is you are in the Sydney airport and walking to the gate with the plane that goes to Darwin isnt that hard. I dont see how Cairns got into this? But whatever, fly to the North Pole and walk to Darwin.

Sorry, I had a bit of a rush of blood..

I don't know if you have been to Sydney airport, but going from international to domestic isn't really walkable.

Silk Air will be your best bet. Darwin is a great city for a year or two. I think people there for many years get a bit funny. It is the best example of succesfull multi-cultralism I have seen in the world.

Yes I think Silk Air is the best choice. My son has just been posted there (RAAF) so I hope he doesn't turn funny in the next year or so!

Thanks again for all the info, it has been ver helpful.