Thai Wifes Asus X53U Developed Fault...........

Chivas

For some reason the Screen is just blank on Reboot..........

Processor etc appears to be running or perhaps its just the internal Fan but screen totally blank......... Unit am told is only 6 months old but outlet purchased from Comet in UK gone bust (although assume Asus may cover the issue direct)

Thought I might ask here first for assistance.....??

Any Suggestions.....?? Thanks

Have you tried holding down the 'fn & f7' keys (together) or checking the 'screen off (projector on)' setting by holding down the 'Windows flag key' & 'p' keys (together)?

Otherwise, if your unit does prove to be defective, I would assume Asus's 2(?) year warranty should be in effect, though w/o its Worldwide coverage option, there could be minor service charges if you have it serviced outside the UK?

Edited by luwahn

Have you tried holding down the 'fn & f7' buttons (together) or checking the 'screen off (projector on)' setting in the 'screen resolution' box?

Otherwise, if your unit does prove to be defective, I would assume Asus's 2(?) year warranty should be in effect, though w/o its Worldwide coverage option, there could be minor service charges if you have it serviced outside the UK?

Thanks.....

Wheres the "Screen off" etc box exactly or what does it look like ??

Bear with me as a non techie......have tried the fn f7 together suggestion

Thanks.....

It's controlled by holding down the 'Windows flag key' & 'p' keys (together). The 'Windows flag key' is the key between the 'fn' key and the 'alt' keys to the left side of the spacebar.

Thanks.....

It's controlled by holding down the 'Windows flag key' & 'p' keys (together). The 'Windows flag key' is the key between the 'fn' key and the 'alt' keys to the left side of the spacebar.

Ok thanks have tried but no joy........

Any other suggestions gratefully tried..........Brownie Points Galore if I can fix this for Madam...!!

Any other suggestions gratefully tried..........Brownie Points Galore if I can fix this for Madam...!!

With your laptop being only 6 months old - and since you probably shouldn't look inside yourself and absent of being 'dropped' etc. - you could take it to your local IT mall and see if the techs there know of a 5 minute fix or can otherwise diagnose your problem.

Asus are usually very well built with quality parts. I personally have 2 models, one over 1 yr. old and another over 2 yrs. old, and they rock, IMHO.

With your laptop being only 6 months old - and since you probably shouldn't look inside yourself and absent of being 'dropped' etc. - you could take it to your local IT mall and see if the techs there know of a 5 minute fix or can otherwise diagnose your problem.

Asus are usually very well built with quality parts. I personally have 2 models, one over 1 yr. old and another over 2 yrs. old, and they rock, IMHO.

ok thanks for Advice.......

Found a couple of threads Via Google on guys with same problem having a loose fitting Battery Pack causing same problem. Tried removing and refitting several times but not worked for us, as it did them.....

ok thanks for Advice.......

Found a couple of threads Via Google on guys with same problem having a loose fitting Battery Pack causing same problem. Tried removing and refitting several times but not worked for us, as it did them.....

I would think a loose fitting Battery Pack (power source) would mean you either have power to all components or you don't. If the processor, etc. seems to be running, then they are getting 'power' and your problem may likely involve something else.

I, too, am curious to know what the problem is - I hope you post your findings!

Usual check involves plugging into a TV via HDMI or another monitor to check for output. But locate the screen on/off toggle switch first as suggested.

Second thing to try is to boot up with an Ubuntu Live disc. Download and save the image and burn the image to disc by double clicking on it with a blank DVD in the drive. Boot from the disc and choose the Try UBUNTU option. Since it opens up in RAM only, this acts as a test for both the RAM and other hardware.

Remove the battery and the the RAM and clean the contacts with an eraser.

Usual check involves plugging into a TV via HDMI or another monitor to check for output. But locate the screen on/off toggle switch first as suggested.

Second thing to try is to boot up with an Ubuntu Live disc. Download and save the image and burn the image to disc by double clicking on it with a blank DVD in the drive. Boot from the disc and choose the Try UBUNTU option. Since it opens up in RAM only, this acts as a test for both the RAM and other hardware.

Remove the battery and the the RAM and clean the contacts with an eraser.

JJ

Thanks for responding. I have a suspicion it is the on/off Toggle switch......

Bear with me as you know I'm non techie.......

Are we saying as per earlier helpful poster hit the "Windows Flag" and "P" letter at same time.......?? Yes ??

Just depress both together without doing anything else ??

Thanks for responding. I have a suspicion it is the on/off Toggle switch......

Bear with me as you know I'm non techie.......

Are we saying as per earlier helpful poster hit the "Windows Flag" and "P" letter at same time.......?? Yes ??

Just depress both together without doing anything else ??

Yes, you will be pressing them at the same time. Looking at the attached photo, each time you depress both of the keys together you will be moving to the next box. Since you will be doing this blindly, you should only have to repeat the routine of 'key depression, enter' for not more than three times in order to restore your screen display. This only works if the 'toggle switch' had somehow been previously set to turn off the display.

All this is assumming that this is your problem. Though you haven't gone into detail about your computing activities at its last boot up just prior to its 'loss of display', could the problem be caused by a bad program installation, upgrade incompatibility or some (accidental) deletion that would cauesing your Operating System program, (Windows 7)?, not to come on?

post-28226-0-20530600-1358643121_thumb.j

If you hear the fans come on, do any of the lights light up?

Fans coming on is indication the on/off push button is working.

How long do you wait before giving up and shutting it down?

No post display? Do you see any indication the screen tries to light up? Slight flash of light? Can you shine a light on the display and see if there is anything on the display?

use [Fn]+[F5] or [Fn]+[F6] to adjust the LCD brightness.

try toggling [Fn]+[F7] and [Fn]+[F8], may blank screen if not connected to external monitor before starting up.

If you hear the fans come on, do any of the lights light up?

Fans coming on is indication the on/off push button is working.

How long do you wait before giving up and shutting it down?

No post display? Do you see any indication the screen tries to light up? Slight flash of light? Can you shine a light on the display and see if there is anything on the display?

use [Fn]+[F5] or [Fn]+[F6] to adjust the LCD brightness.

try toggling [Fn]+[F7] and [Fn]+[F8], may blank screen if not connected to external monitor before starting up.

Rakman and Luwahn

Thanks for responding. Will check out what you say later,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for all suggestions.........

Something has died within I think !! Will get Asus to take a look as under Warranty as only 6 months old and they have confirmed no charge.......

Got the impression by tone of return email that they "knew" what the problem would be......

Will repost here result as may be of interest to others.

mainboard is dead, contact asus center in BKK

Thanks for all suggestions.........

Something has died within I think !! Will get Asus to take a look as under Warranty as only 6 months old and they have confirmed no charge.......

Got the impression by tone of return email that they "knew" what the problem would be......

Will repost here result as may be of interest to others.

Good! Will be waiting to hear what the problem was!

I have a three year old asus a42kjr and sort of having the same problem with my screen turning itself off repeatably. Have checked power and set everything to never. Also when trying to backup system image i keep getting backup failed due to disk error. Have tried two different ext hds and same error.

Thoughts please. Could it be motherboard?

Thanks