1 Year On A Lifan

1 year on a lifan

I would quickly say I have had over 50 bikes in my days. With a little thought I came up with over 100. I have had a bike from Taiwan, and the worst bike I can ever remember was my Tiger CX125 made here in Thailand from a Thai company still barely kicking around. It literally fell apart as you rode it

Having been around a while I remember back in the 60’s and early 70’s everyone joking about Japanese bikes like Honda when they first came out. Now many would say the bench mark, but with sales far surpassing everyone else combined, everyone has to admit if you like them or not, they are doing something right.

70’s and 80’s people joked about Hyndai and Kia. Clearly they too are well in the game now and have entered the ultra-luxury market of cars

So why is it Chinese bikes get no respect ? The low cost ones provide transportation to those who could not afford it otherwise. And some companies are now offering top notch 600 supersports and just recently 1000 cc sport bikes.

So just after driving 17,700 km on a Honda wave last year alone, I thought now would be a good time to buy a Chinese bike and give it a good run for a year. My goal would be 20,000 km. That should be enough to see if it can stand the test of time.

• Like 2

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one you thinking of getting?

Will be interesting to see how it goes for you.

Good Luck

Ares 110 Just like a wave

Given how cheap, reliable, available and easy to sell a Honda Wave is, why you would do this? Don't get me wrong, it will be interesting to see how it holds up but if it turns out to be a dog then that's quite an inconvenience. And if it holds up well, you've still got a bike which is harder to get spares and harder to sell.

Just interested why you'd choose to buy a bike that has a cheap, proven alternative on your doorstep. I can understand people doing it with something that isn't available here. Or if it's say, less than half the price of the Honda. Otherwise, it's seems like taking a risk for the sake of it.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how it holds up. On a copy of such a simple bike then I guess it should be OK. Good luck.

Good Luck

Given how cheap, reliable, available and easy to sell a Honda Wave is, why you would do this? Don't get me wrong, it will be interesting to see how it holds up but if it turns out to be a dog then that's quite an inconvenience. And if it holds up well, you've still got a bike which is harder to get spares and harder to sell.

Just interested why you'd choose to buy a bike that has a cheap, proven alternative on your doorstep. I can understand people doing it with something that isn't available here. Or if it's say, less than half the price of the Honda. Otherwise, it's seems like taking a risk for the sake of it.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how it holds up. On a copy of such a simple bike then I guess it should be OK. Good luck.

buy a normal wave that gets 62km+ pL and you will have saved the differnce in fuel prices by the end of your 20,000km

with the pgmfi engine vs the oldstyle carb in the chinese bike

if anyone were to buy a 600 or 1000cc bike from china and try to ride 20,000km in a year in thailand it would make interesting

reading but i dont know if anyone is crazy enough to do that yet :)

• Like 1

The dealer

There are dealer in most areas of Thailand now with more on the way. Clearly it will never be the same number as Honda has, but more in line with Kawasaki or Suzuki at this time. They are there if you look for them but not on every street corner next to the 7-11

I chose to use the Lifan dealer in Tak. Before I purchased I stopped in no less than 10 times. The sales lady there was always helpful, and spoke good enough English to carry on a conversation. I had stopped in a few days prior and they just had received a truck load of bikes with well over 70 in stock. 3 days later when I returned, nearly half had been sold. In stock they had V-twin 250 choppers, A 200 Motard, 200 cc street legal endure, a half dozen small KSR like things, and 2 styles of “Wave” like 110cc bikes. I chose the lowest cost one in the shop. A shiny new Lifan Ares 110cc for 29500 Bt. 29,700 out the door with basic insurance, book, plate, and tax.

This dealer is about 4 blocks just down the street from the bus station and about 250 km from home. Enough to get there in a day and return with a good initial impression.

When I go there, 3 other customers were in the process of purchasing a bike too. They were polite, offered coffee or water, and an air conditioned room with TV. I walked across the street to KFC and by the time I returned in 30 minutes, all the paper work was done and the bike ready to go. I was offered the usual free helmet that does not fit my head, good for a spare if I loan out a bike some time or for my daughter.

The purchase process couldn’t have been easier and they told me 2 weeks for the plate and book. We will see, and it will be a nice run back down for my first oil change and a once over by then in their service department.

After I drove off I checked the bike once over, everything seemed OK, The tires were at 22 and should be 33 front and 32 back. 1 mirror was also lose

• Like 1

Good Luck

Very interesting. The Ares 110 has a carb, like all(?) bikes from Lifan that are available in Thailand. What fuel will you use? Or maybe trying different fuel over the time would also be interesting.

Maybe the Ares is as reliable as the Wave? We would never know without someone trying it. I like this "experiment".

Edited by wantan

20,000km/year on a dirt bike, you have a hard ass.. If I did that I would fall to bits

Re Chinese Honda Wave it is a no brainer Honda is 34,000 baht new, 70km/litre, last forever, sells for shed loads, why would you bother?

I purchased 3 honda's in the last month alone. This is just to see what will happen . .

When I read the topic title I was eager to read , as I thought it gonna be a report about someone who had used a Lifan for a year, then I realised that would have been an oxymoron.

So here is my tip to the OP. Together with your lifan purchase a smartphone and install Thaivisa connect, so you can keep us updated daily from wherever in Thailand you are when the bike breaks down.

Will keep some space on the forum availbale for your reports biggrin.png

Good Luck

buy a normal wave that gets 62km+ pL and you will have saved the differnce in fuel prices by the end of your 20,000km

with the pgmfi engine vs the oldstyle carb in the chinese bike

if anyone were to buy a 600 or 1000cc bike from china and try to ride 20,000km in a year in thailand it would make interesting

reading but i dont know if anyone is crazy enough to do that yet smile.png

Normal wave 100 is rated at 57 by Honda. My guess is real world low 50's

And where you say I would save, I ask based on what facts ?

With this test we will see and I will share with all

Good or bad, it will be here

20,000km/year on a dirt bike, you have a hard ass.. If I did that I would fall to bits

Re Chinese Honda Wave it is a no brainer Honda is 34,000 baht new, 70km/litre, last forever, sells for shed loads, why would you bother?

The Lifan Ares is not a dirt bike, though I have taken it off road . . .

The last Honda I got last year was 2000 Bt shy of 60,000 Bt. lowest price at this time is 38,000 Bt for drum brake kick start. and is rated at 57 (no Honda is rated at 70 kpl)

^average of 285 km a day you must live on your bike

It bikes, not bike. 4 times a month I do 1000 km days and a time or two a week I have to do 500km days. Tomorrow is a 500 km day, today was only 150 on the Ares, (100 on another)

Is this some sort of commuting you do for work or do you just like riding out to places maybe staying the night and then riding back again,sounds a bit repetitive the way you put it as 4 times a month 1000km at a time,will sure be a real test for the bike I will be following with interest to see how it goes

you would save on fuel economy ,a few tanks a day on your intended distances with a modern injection engine

that could use take advantage of cheaper fuels as well etc

you would get 70% back from a 1 year old honda in thailand on re-sale also and probably not much if anything for the chinese

so i think if someone did a counter test alongside you all the way for 20,000km ,the honda would work out to be the same price or

maybe even cheaper at the end

its been 3 years since i bought a chinese bike (assembled in thailand or whatever they like to call it ) and it was not only unreliable but dangerous as well

i hope you have a better experience of them than i did but i will never again try to save a trivial amount of money on something as life dependant as a motorcycle

I purchased 3 honda's in the last month alone.

105k km last year on a number of different bikes.

3 new Hondas bought last month.

How many bikes have you got Jeff? :huh:

And cars. I think Jeff has 2 Nissan March's (and one was an import!)and a CNG truck. Unless I'm confusing him with someone else.

sent from my Q6

Hi Jeff, Im moving to Chiang Mai next year and initialy require a cheap enduro bike - (Platinum or Shineray)?. These "cheap" bikes seem to get better every year. How come so many kilometers? Look forward to your reports. N Jeffrey (JEFF) !

The Ares 110

The Lifan Ares 110 looks much like a Honda Wave 100 I had a few years back, with extras. I picked a red one. Blue as well as black were other choices of colors. The Red has both Painted shiny Black trim as well as flat black plastic trim parts. The Engine, swing arm, frame and most components are powder coat black. A nice touch with a few chrome pieces here and there that are not to my liking but look OK.

The Single cylinder 109cc 2 valve motor Is just like most Wave 110’s. This one comes with an electric as well as kick starter, which I really like. Yet where Honda Has moved on to fuel injection, the Lifan still is using a carburetor. Time will tell how that effects fuel economy. The motor quickly stated with no help form the manual choke. The engine was very quiet and almost sounded like it was an electric motor. Durability, time will tell . . .

Front brake is a 2 piston disk. The rotor itself looks exactly like the Hondas unit. Initially it seems weaker to me than my last wave, but again, I am writing this with only 2 km showing on the bike, and the rear drum brake feels stronger.

Body panels have good fit and finish. Paint quality is top notch. Stickers tasteful, yet I may take the Lifan stickers off just to see what people say about the bike.

All the switches seem of good quality and in the usual places. A nice extra is the light switch options of on, parking, or off for those times you want a dim light on when your next to the road on a busy street at night. (Kick starter is there if you stay too long)

The shutter key ignition lock seems directly sourced from the same supplier as Honda, and a feature not on their lowest price bikes.

Wheels are a high quality cast alloy units. Tires are 70/90 front and 80/90 rear Duro brand. And I must say the smaller tires stock on my Wave I pitched in a few days because they left me feeling unstable. The Duros seem of higher quality and so far seem very stable and up to the job. I had thought I would quickly change them out but after a few km I am thinking maybe I will hold off.

The bike has the usual center stand as well as side kick stand. The kick stand does not have a safety shut switch. And initially the center stand feels not quite as smooth in operation as the wave does.

The bike has a standard front basket that has a lid and a clasp. It is smaller than the optional extra cost Wave basket but a helmet will not fit in it as it does on the Wave. It also comes with a spring closing rack mid bike between the steering and the seat. Maybe for a purse or hand bag ? I have seen helmet here too. Under seat storage is licked with a the same key as the ignition, but needs to be unlocked on the side of the bike. Under the seat is the tool kit, battery, and owner’s manual. Not much more than gloves, a map, rain gear, and spare tub will fit here.

First tank 50 klp

Wife says the seat feels higher than the Wave

Second tank 57 kpl

Highest speed noted so far 110 kph

On the way taking my daughter to school a PCX 150 smoked us. Yes we are on the humble Ares 110 and about 160 kilos of weight and moving along at 100 kph

The Aries failed the Egg test. Purchased 10 eggs at the fresh market,put them in the basket, then drove the long way home, 50 km, over the bumpiest roads I could find. Half were broken half not. Had scrambled eggs for breakfast.

This morning went up to Doi Sethep. 20 km up winding hills. The bike did 60 – 80 all the way up without complaint and down the brakes worked as they should and the handling was confidence inspiring. Better than the Wave

Third tank 50 kpl but was all hill work. Gas gauge is pessimistic. Shows empty when it is half full

Every morning the bike starts right up with no choke. Mornings are cool too at 12c with sitting all night

Did some unofficial drag races with a friend on a Honda Wave 110. I am heavier but the Lifan was faster off the line and only on the very top end near 100 kph did the Honda seem to have more oomph !

1 thing that could be a safety issue is the bike will start in any gear. The Honda only starts in neutral

• Like 1