Visa In Order To Buy A Motorcycle In Thailand?

Hey all,

Here's the situation: my fiance and I (Americans) are getting married this October and then starting a year-long motorcycle trip across Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Indonesia, then flying to Mongolia for a summer horse trip, then flying to Nepal and getting bikes there for Nepal/India/Sri Lanka). I work as a professional consultant for nonprofits (NGOs) here in the US, so we also want to work with several NGOs while we travel to give back to the communities we visit. Through a variety of professional contacts, I will be put in touch with Asian-based NGOs in the countries where we will volunteer.

I've been to Thailand several times in the past and have rented bikes in Chang Mai to do the Mae Hong Song loop. I'd love to be able to buy motorcycles (probably two Honda CRF250Ls or similar) in Chang Mai, but I've gotten different reports on what's legal and/or possible. After quite a bit of research, it seems like it's not legal to buy motorcycles with a tourist visa, but some motor vehicle departments will allow you to register them on a 90-day tourist visa (Chang Mai and Pattaya high on that list).

Clearly, the best option would be for the two of us to get a non-immigrant "O"-type visas. What's the requirement for us to get an O visa for volunteering? Is it literally as simple as one of our NGOs writing a letter stating that we'll be volunteering with them for a bit in Thailand? I understand to actually do volunteer work we should have a work permit, so also curious about how much work it would be for one of these NGOs to provide us with work permits.

Alternately, I'd love to hear first-hand experiences of buying a motorcycle with a tourist visa and the success/failure of those endeavors.

Cheers,

Sean

Hey Mac,

I didn't try Ride Asia, but did post to GT Rider. There isn't solid information consolidated anywhere and people's reports vary widely. Will post to Ride Asia and see what the folks there say!

Sean

How about sending your Q to this C. Mai based www site, they have a whole bunch of trips on areas included in your plan, and of course, knowledgeable about bike ownership.

http://www.rideasia....forum/forum.php

Mac

Volunteering requires at least 4 hours a week for a registered charity (or government institution like a school).

Based on volunteering you wil probably get a single non-O, good for a stay of 90 days. You are expected to extend your stay at immigraiton in Thailand with paperwork from the charity and a work permit.

You can buy a bike. The problem comes when you register it you will need a certificate of residence.(proof of address). On a tourist visa you will most likely not get one from immigration (free to 500 baht) so the only choice is getting it from the US embassy (1600 baht).

Info for embassy affidavit: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

Edited by ubonjoe

Having just bought a motor bike ( PCX ) I had no problem my proof of address was the resort I am stopping in receipt for paying water or deposit went to immigration. Jomtien showed him the proof and passport p,us 2 photos and I think I had to give them 200 baht picked it up the next day bike was mine all but the green book I got that a week later no problem at all the visa I am on is a multi entry hope this helps

Why dont you start in Cambo where anything is possible, ride to Lao down to Thai and on to Malaysia.

Long haul biking in Thailand not too smart. Indo, pretty stupid.

I do it all the time. Never a problem.

I think you are supposed to have a NON O but nothing in Thailand is for sure.