Shipping Household Effects To Australia

Fred Nerk

A warning..if you have a refrigerator or freezer or airconditioner check and get a certificate that it contains no cfc refrigerant or has been drained. If you bring one into Australia and there is any CFC you will be fined extremely heavily and you must immediately re-export the item at your expense. There is an exemption of sorts for personal goods but it is interpreted very narrowly. Read the atached carefully.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/FS_Ozone040819.pdf

A second warning is not to pack any of your goods in old food cartons etc. You will have to repack the lot in a bonded wharehouse at your expense and pay for the disposal of the cartons to quarantine if you do. My daughter got caught with this.

Edited by harrry

I recommend Asian Tigers who were the local agent for my household effects imported into Thailand from Australia and provided an outstanding service. Logically they will have reciprocal arrangements with an Australian based import agent. Total cost door to door including packing and unpacking, disposal of packing material insurance etc for a 20 foot container was A$6500. You would get a cheaper service by arranging everything yourself, but in my opinion not worth the time & hassle.

http://www.asiantigersgroup.com

Ah yes Harry, thanks for that reminder, the joys of dealing with the Australian Bureaucracy. I had not contemplated that Cardboard Cartons that previously contained packaged foods would be a banned item. Certainly, a Law for everything and if we cant find a Law, we can most definitely find a By-Law.

As an example, on the ABC Web Site this morning. 27-year-old woman has been charged with --- "travelling on a part of the train not intended for travel" OK fair enough, she is stupid, but charge her with fare evasion or trespass. You really have to wonder at the mentality of some-one who would sit down and take the time to officially formulate and place a charge like that into legislation.

To have attracted the ire of AQIS, your Daughter's shipment obviously arrived in Aust, do you recall which company she used?

Ah yes Harry, thanks for that reminder, the joys of dealing with the Australian Bureaucracy. I had not contemplated that Cardboard Cartons that previously contained packaged foods would be a banned item. Certainly, a Law for everything and if we cant find a Law, we can most definitely find a By-Law.

As an example, on the ABC Web Site this morning. 27-year-old woman has been charged with --- "travelling on a part of the train not intended for travel" OK fair enough, she is stupid, but charge her with fare evasion or trespass. You really have to wonder at the mentality of some-one who would sit down and take the time to officially formulate and place a charge like that into legislation.

To have attracted the ire of AQIS, your Daughter's shipment obviously arrived in Aust, do you recall which company she used?

In that case it was when she and her husband returned from Switzerland.