Fishing In Chaing Mai

DiamondKing

A few of the fish I caught recently in Chiang Mai in my lake. Not monsters by any stretch, but fishing is fishing...

You have your OWN fishing lake ???

Don't all landed gentry over here have one giggle.gif

Yes we do.biggrin.png

Fish%2520%2520002.jpg

Bloody hell. Does anything get a chance at life in that mini lake (too big to be called a pond and too small to be called a lake) with those Paegu (sp?).

I used to follow your old lake thread, when you were creating it. It has turned out really nice. thumbsup.gif

DLock and GaryP any chance of a link to the thread when you were making the lake / pond please.. I had a little search in the DIY and Real Estate forum thinking it might be there but could not find it. I would very much like to read through that as its something I'm considering in the future.

Kind regards CM2

Here you go. Not too hard to find. But to save you the trouble.

Bloody hell. Does anything get a chance at life in that mini lake (too big to be called a pond and too small to be called a lake) with those Paegu (sp?).

Our Red Pacu are vegetarians I am told, so we have a dozen or so different kinds and sizes of fish living peacefully in or little pond. I am partial to the big ones though, and as you can see the catfish can hold there own in the big boy weight class.

Fish%2520%2520001.jpg

• Like 1

Mae Ngat Dam after the snakehead (not season now) here u can also catch the jungle pearch.

And then 2-3 hour drive u can find the Masheer near Mae Siriang.

I do a lot of fly fishing back in Denmark, and the nearest u get to it here, is the Masheers living in the rivers... So nice!

A few of the fish I caught recently in Chiang Mai in my lake. Not monsters by any stretch, but fishing is fishing...

Yes we do.biggrin.png

Fish%2520%2520002.jpg

Nice pacu, villagefarang. Just keep your fingers out of their mouth. They AREN'T like the pla buk (Mekong catfish).

There ARE some lovely rivers in Thailand that have native fish like mahseer, jungle perch and other species, but they are tied up in a government project to help preserve them.

• Like 1

Yes we do.biggrin.png

Fish%2520%2520002.jpg

Awesome fish VF...and nice looking lake and gardens.

• Like 1

Mae Ngat Dam after the snakehead (not season now) here u can also catch the jungle pearch.

Dont you need a boat for that ????

Some fish without a boat and catch some fish, but it far improves your chances using a boat; @ Mae Ngat your can rent a kayak or hire a boat with guide for the day. There are several reservoirs, close to CM, that offer better opportunities to fish from shore. A couple of reservoirs north of Chae Hom are quite productive at times shore fishing.

There ARE some lovely rivers in Thailand that have native fish like mahseer, jungle perch and other species, but they are tied up in a government project to help preserve them.

Plenty of lovely rivers, in the north and south of Thailand, where catch and release fly fishing of mahseer, jungle perch and other species is very welcomed.

There are many health Mahseer below this bridge near Mae La Noi, and if you look carefully you can see a couple of monsters in there.

P1060001.JPG

kinda find that the more remote you are, the more often the road follows the river - which is a pretty great place to spend the day.

100_3375.JPG

Mr Forbes must really be having a good time to not chime in yet!!!

I recently crossed the river Yuam and there are signs in Thai saying that it is illegal to fish the river by the bridge where the mahseer are spawning. And yes, seeing all those fish there is tempting. Apparently there is a government sponsored program to reintroduce the species that had been over fished by nets before. Hence the closure on fishing near the bridges.

I recently crossed the river Yuam and there are signs in Thai saying that it is illegal to fish the river by the bridge where the mahseer are spawning. And yes, seeing all those fish there is tempting. Apparently there is a government sponsored program to reintroduce the species that had been over fished by nets before. Hence the closure on fishing near the bridges.

Besides you don't want to fish near the bridges, the fish being feed in these locations does not encourage then to take a fly readily.