Air Asia International Flight Cancellation

simple1

Today I received an SMS message that my booking for wife & I for flights to Sri Lanka are no longer available as AirAsia has decided to no longer service BKK to Sri Lanka route commencing as of late February. When I called them they said I could connect via KL, but would have to overnight. Stated that AirAsia travel insurance does not cover rescheduled flights for extra costs such as hotels. Thought about the matter & called back & they then said the KL to Sri Lanka route will no longer be available either.

I cancelled the flight & insurance as obviously no alternative option available. When I asked them to confirm the refund in an email said their system does not permit emails to customers for confirmation and it will take up to 30 days to process the refund & I could call back in a few weeks to ascertain the status.

All in all very disappointing customer service experience.

Edited by simple1

Was the routing via KUL (DML-KUL-CMB)?

I did see this article:

http://www.mmail.com.my/story/airasia-scraps-kl%E2%80%93colombo-route-44898

AirAsia scraps KL–Colombo route

TUESDAY, JANUARY 22, 2013 - 15:36

SEPANG

AIRASIA will be withdrawing daily flights from Kuala Lumpur to Colombo, Sri Lanka, effective Saturday because of commercial reasons.

Guests that are affected by the withdrawal of this route will be offered options to alleviate any inconvenience that might occur and each affected guest will be notified via their registered member email account, as well as an SMS notification of the route termination.

AirAsia’s customer service personnel will also notify each affected guest via phone on the options available to them.

The airline strongly urges all guests to keep their email addresses and mobile numbers with their country code prefix updated in their AirAsia member profiles to ensure that the airline can reach them to assist them.

Affected guests will be able to choose the below options:

i) Move their flights to an earlier date to or from Kuala Lumpur or Colombo without any extra charges and subject to availability.

ii) Be offered a credit shell for the value that they paid with a validity of 3 months

iii) Full refund Guests can also get in touch with AirAsia’s Customer Care Team via Twitter.

Was the routing via KUL (DML-KUL-CMB)?

I did see this article:

http://www.mmail.com...mbo-route-44898

AirAsia scraps KL–Colombo route

TUESDAY, JANUARY 22, 2013 - 15:36

SEPANG

AIRASIA will be withdrawing daily flights from Kuala Lumpur to Colombo, Sri Lanka, effective Saturday because of commercial reasons.

Guests that are affected by the withdrawal of this route will be offered options to alleviate any inconvenience that might occur and each affected guest will be notified via their registered member email account, as well as an SMS notification of the route termination.

AirAsia’s customer service personnel will also notify each affected guest via phone on the options available to them.

The airline strongly urges all guests to keep their email addresses and mobile numbers with their country code prefix updated in their AirAsia member profiles to ensure that the airline can reach them to assist them.

Affected guests will be able to choose the below options:

i) Move their flights to an earlier date to or from Kuala Lumpur or Colombo without any extra charges and subject to availability.

ii) Be offered a credit shell for the value that they paid with a validity of 3 months

iii) Full refund Guests can also get in touch with AirAsia’s Customer Care Team via Twitter.

No it was BKK direct to Colombo. I had booked as an excellent promo price was offered - luckily the hotels booked through Agoda have a cancellation refund. Deciding whether or not to pay 32K baht for the two of us to fly direct with Thai or choose another country; maybe Indonesia (not Bali), as already been to Philippines, Laos, Vietnam and Malaysia

It is challenging to get information on FD's operations, but I did notice this article, which seems to indicate this service was cancelled last year?

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/163527/thai-airasia-revises-bangkok-a-colombo-service-cancellation-date-in-oct-2012/

Posted 24 September 2012 11:37

Update at 0640GMT 24SEP12

Thai AirAsia has revised planned cancellation date for 3 weekly Bangkok – Colombo service. The airline is now cancelling this route from 11OCT12, instead of previously reported 01OCT12.

Schedule:

FD3880 DMK0700 – 0900CMB 320 357

FD3881 CMB1000 – 1510DMK 320 357

It is challenging to get information on FD's operations, but I did notice this article, which seems to indicate this service was cancelled last year?

http://www.routesonl...te-in-oct-2012/

Posted 24 September 2012 11:37

Update at 0640GMT 24SEP12

Thai AirAsia has revised planned cancellation date for 3 weekly Bangkok – Colombo service. The airline is now cancelling this route from 11OCT12, instead of previously reported 01OCT12.

Schedule:

FD3880 DMK0700 – 0900CMB 320 357

FD3881 CMB1000 – 1510DMK 320 357

As I said AirAsia only advised by SMS route cancellation a few days ago, so you are pointing to shortcoming in AirAsia customer relationship management if announced back in 10/2012. However I have now booked with Sri Lanka Airways, 2k baht cheaper than Thai and more convenient flight schedule. Not worried about flight services as short flight. For me it does raise a question mark for booking promo flights in the future with AirAsia.

Edited by simple1

As I said AirAsia only advised by SMS route cancellation a few days ago, so you are pointing to shortcoming in AirAsia customer relationship management if announced back in 10/2012. However I have now booked with Sri Lanka Airways, 2k baht cheaper than Thai and more convenient flight schedule. Not worried about flight services as short flight. For me it does raise a question mark for booking promo flights in the future with AirAsia.

Understood. I am trying to figure out what happened, and why FD waited so long to notify you, so that we can come up with some advice/recommendations that might help others going forward.

Do you remember when you purchased your tickets? Approximately? Was it prior to 1 Oct 2012?

The obvious bit of advice is to routinely monitor one's reservation for changes/cancellations thereby allowing one to make alternative plans sooner rather than later.

Understood. I am trying to figure out what happened, and why FD waited so long to notify you, so that we can come up with some advice/recommendations that might help others going forward.

Do you remember when you purchased your tickets? Approximately? Was it prior to 1 Oct 2012?

The obvious bit of advice is to routinely monitor one's reservation for changes/cancellations thereby allowing one to make alternative plans sooner rather than later.

Booked in May 2012 to obtain the promo price. Understand should monitor reservations, but given electronic contact details are provided at time of booking you would assume the the carrier would contact the customer in a timely manner. Just as a reminder when I contacted the Call Centre they advised unable to confirm the booking cancellation and refund process electronically. Seems bizarre to me that AirAsia has not sufficiently invested in CRM; you would think that brand reputation would be critical.

Booked in May 2012 to obtain the promo price. Understand should monitor reservations, but given electronic contact details are provided at time of booking you would assume the the carrier would contact the customer in a timely manner.

Thanks for the additional details. It does seem strange that FD cancelled the route in October, but failed to notify you until some three months later. This definitely points to some serious problems with their CRM systems. Obviously, assuming anything with FD is probably not the best tactic. I would always recommend checking on any reservation, say once every week or so, just so you can re-adjust travel plans sooner rather than later. As the departure date nears I might even check more frequently, and even monitor on-time performance/cancellations (due to mechanical - MX, not necessarily schedule changes), but then I travel often and have been burned a few times so take extra precautions.

I agree with Ravi.

I'm pretty sure the only non-stop options from BKK-CMB are Thai, Sri Lankan Airways, and Cathay Pacific.

My experience has been that CX has both the cheapest fares and the best service.

I agree with Ravi.

I'm pretty sure the only non-stop options from BKK-CMB are Thai, Sri Lankan Airways, and Cathay Pacific.

My experience has been that CX has both the cheapest fares and the best service.

Out of interest I checked Cathay 'cause I think they are a good airline, but they route via Singapore

• 1 month later...

I agree with Ravi.

Out of interest I checked Cathay 'cause I think they are a good airline, but they route via Singapore

This is clearly not correct.

CX703 BKK 23:05 CMB 00:55+1 Stops: 0 Length: 02:50 Aircraft: 773

operates on Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays as per their website

You will most probably get your refund without too much hassle. . It will probably not happen within 30 days. Customer service on air asia refunds is really really bad. Gotta figure that's not an accident. I just consider flying with them as a calculated financial risk that's usually worth it.

You will most probably get your refund without too much hassle. . It will probably not happen within 30 days. Customer service on air asia refunds is really really bad. Gotta figure that's not an accident. I just consider flying with them as a calculated financial risk that's usually worth it.

Yes it's been a hassle, six weeks later still haven't rec'd the refund, still with he refund department even though the carrier cancelled all flights to Colombo. Was also requested to make a separate application to the insurance company for refund for the travel insurance component sold by AirAsia. When I followed up last week requested to call back this week for status, I suggested that they should call/SMS me with the status, response "cannot"

I agree with Ravi.

This is clearly not correct.

eturn flight is via Singapore, total travel time is 12 hours & for single airfare 50k baht

CX703 BKK 23:05 CMB 00:55+1 Stops: 0 Length: 02:50 Aircraft: 773

operates on Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays as per their website

Correct, but you are being somewhat pedantic, why would you travel for 12 hours and pay 50.6k baht? Direct return flight by Sri Lanka airline for two passengers 24k baht, both legs are direct

Edited by simple1

Yes it's been a hassle, six weeks later still haven't rec'd the refund, still with he refund department even though the carrier cancelled all flights to Colombo.

AirAsia like to say 30 - 60 days for a refund due to a flight cancellation. A quick scan of actual experiences indicates that it might be more like 60 - 90 days. Obviously the longer they hold your money, the more profitable an airline they become. wink.png Some even claim that they will not process refunds in the case of cancellations unless passengers contact them first. :eek:

Yes it's been a hassle, six weeks later still haven't rec'd the refund, still with he refund department even though the carrier cancelled all flights to Colombo.

AirAsia like to say 30 - 60 days for a refund due to a flight cancellation. A quick scan of actual experiences indicates that it might be more like 60 - 90 days. Obviously the longer they hold your money, the more profitable an airline they become. wink.png Some even claim that they will not process refunds in the case of cancellations unless passengers contact them first. :eek:

Correct re having to contact AirAsia. They try to switch sell you to an alternate destination or to allocate the credit for future flights. No problem with this, as it makes business sense