Anyone Heard Of Zburg Electrical Fittings?

Greenside

Was in an electrical supplies shop in Chiang Mai this morning and noticed a display of what looked like Panasonic Full Color Wide outlets, switches and telephone/TV sockets. Closer inspection revealed that they were copies made by a company called Zburg (or maybe Zberg). Surround and double earthed socket in the equivalent of Panasonic metallic grey cost just 78 baht and the quality of the plastic looked OK on a quick inspection. The owner of the shop (who I know reasonably well) says they have been selling them for a couple of years and had no returns.

Google failed me. Anyone have any information about this brand?

Well they are not counterfeits if that's what you mean but certainly copies of the design (although that said, there's not too much you can really do to make a wall socket look modern that wouldn't end up seeming like the Pannies). I thought I'd risk 85 baht and buy one to get a better idea of the build quality but my worry is that I probably couldn't really tell much beyond the quality of the mouldings and finish.

I'll take some pictures if I have a moment.

You would be better off purchasing the genuine National or Panasonic socket outlets in the long term, you do not know the internal construction of these "Zyberg" or where they are manufactured, Do they comply with current Thai Industrial standards (TIS) ?

I suspect you are right but I'm intrigued anyway. If nothing else the face plates are much cheaper and look as if they will match the real thing - I've got about 70 to buy shortly so saving a couple of thousand is attractive - it pays for a couple of bathroom sockets with built in RCDs, for example.

Edited by Greenside

I suspect you are right but I'm intrigued anyway. If nothing else the face plates are much cheaper and look as if they will match the real thing - I've got about 70 to buy shortly so saving a couple of thousand is attractive - it pays for a couple of bathroom sockets with built in RCDs, for example.

Purchase one (1) of them, examine it, check to see if the PVC is brittle it should have a certain amount of impact resistance, the open it up and examine the internal components. After that you will not be able to use this particular fitting. They do seem very low cost.

Edited by electau