Why Do People Use The Word 'partner'?

MrHammer

I'm curious, I often see English natives use the word 'partner' to describe their romantic interest. As a non-native English speaker, I've always found that a bit strange. To me and my vocabulary, partner is something used in business or in school assignments. What's wrong with girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife or even buddy if you must?

Is this some kind of pc term to not offend those who live in different kinds of relationships?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, many languages have gender neutral words for the other person in a relationship, but 'partner' is not a term originally used for that purpose. Here is what Urban Dictionary has to say about it:

Urban altern-a-chicks and Metrosexuals don't have boyfriends, girlfriends, significant others, husbands, wives, buddies, etc. They have 'Partners'.

A 'Partner' is very similar to a boyfriend or girlfriend, but is not a boyfriend or girl friend. If you call someone's 'Partner' a 'boyfriend' or a 'girlfriend', you will be corrected ("no, Callum is my 'Partner'").

'Partners' have many of the same characteristics as boyfriends and girlfriends (functioning genitalia, heartbeats, annoying habits, feelings, etc...), but also have very distinctive behaviors and physical features:

* 'Partners' live in "spaces", not apartments, homes, houses, pads or places.

* 'Partners' sleep on futons or dirty mattresses on the floor, as opposed to beds.

* 'Partners' generally subsist on 'ethical' or sustainable diets of Organic vegetables, Free-range meat and fair-trade coffee.

* Often, a male 'partner' can be recognized by the presence of frappichino glasses, fashionably-unfashionable clothes, 'old-man' or 'quasi-military' hats, a deliberately messy hair-do odd facial ...

• Like 1

At 55 term girl friend seems bit outdated and yes its seen as PC in the worlds most over the top PC country in the world. Call somebody your girl friend and you loose half your house and pension bah.gif

• Present one is a Buddy in my eyes, I am a boyfriend in hers so I call her my partner and introduce her as such, words Girl Friend just will not come out at 55 years old.
  • Oxford English dictionary terminology
  • either member of a married couple or of an established unmarried couple: she lived with her partner

person with whom one has sex; a lover: make sure that you or your partner are using an effective method of contraception

Has anyone ever said "Howdy significant other"?

Using the word 'partner' describes either an unsure commitment, a temporary one in one mind at least, or, no it's just that.

This is my partner.....

This is my partner for tonight....

This is my partner for the foreseeable future.....

This is my partner until something better comes along....

Girl Friend just will not come out at 55 years old.

Why not, my mother had a boyfriend at 65, she actually asked for my and my brothers permission to have one, our father had passed away more than several years before and she wanted it for it to be ok with us, she was actually quite scared to ask us at the time...... both our responses were the same.... for gods sake Mum, have some fun.

Tom would never be our father, but he was a really lovely man, and he made our mother happy, they both passed from this life almost together in their mid 70's.... and they were boyfriend/girlfriend... end of.

Partner means contract..... boyfriend/girlfriend means love.

• Like 2

I see, so you should actually be offended if someone referred to you as their partner?

If they referred to me as their partner I would not be offended at all, if that was the deal.

Edit....

For the sake of balance boyfriend/boyfriend or girlfriend/girlfriend is also ok in my book.

Edited by Thaddeus

Girl Friend just will not come out at 55 years old.

Why not, my mother had a boyfriend at 65, she actually asked for my and my brothers permission to have one, our father had passed away more than several years before and she wanted it for it to be ok with us, she was actually quite scared to ask us at the time...... both our responses were the same.... for gods sake Mum, have some fun.

Tom would never be our father, but he was a really lovely man, and he made our mother happy, they both passed from this life almost together in their mid 70's.... and they were boyfriend/girlfriend... end of.

Partner means contract..... boyfriend/girlfriend means love.

Great Story Thaddeus,thinking from the heart is always good to see.

I always refer to her (girlfriend) as wife simply to avoid any unnecessary discussion.

After i said "wife" people always react easily with"Aaaah" and no misjudgments will be made and my girlfriend feels honoured.

No harm done..thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 2

Has anyone ever said "Howdy significant other"?

Using the word 'partner' describes either an unsure commitment, a temporary one in one mind at least, or, no it's just that.

This is my partner.....

This is my partner for tonight....

This is my partner for the foreseeable future.....

This is my partner until something better comes along....

Partner also conjures up images of Business. Lets go to bed partner,and discuss business,are you put off yet?

Partner sounds like someone you play bridge, whist or tennis with........not very imaginative when refering to a long term lover, in fact rather demeaning.....in my opinion

Exactly, always sounded to me like a practical arrangement and not an expression of love/lust,but maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned even if only 30 years old :D

I also tend to think of a same sex relationship when someone talks about their "partner"

When a man refers to his wife as his partner, just seems odd to me.

Same as when a man and woman announce that "We're pregnant" -"What - both of you??"

• Like 2

If my love-interest would refer me as a 'partner' i would feel disappointment.

Why do people use it then? I think some people are not afraid to speak the truth and show how they really consider their liaison.

And i would consider it a 'red flag'.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Strikes me that when your wife or girlfriend/husband or boyfriend, starts refering to you as my Partner,...other half,...we are having a family addition,the significant other,it's time to reasess your relationship and find a real member of the opposite sex.

You never know it might kick start you back to life again!

Partner is simply what you call your other half when you're in a same sex relationship. It's less shocking than saying "my boyfriend" or "my girlfriend" especially if you're dealing with bigots. Plus it's more accurate in countries where gays can't legally wed. Technically they aren't your "husband" or "wife", so life partner would be more accurate.

Edited by mcnad