Where To Find Waitress And Help In Kitchen For Restaurant?

skippie999

can anyone tell me where you can find people who are looking for a job in a restaurant. we are starting new restaurant in March and need a few people. we are wondering where you normally source those people other than hanging a sign people wanted. Or probably some farang with Thai wife want them to do some work? any advice is welcome.

@candypants : wrong suggestion; we know what we do but only want to learn if we know everything. sometimes asking questions improve your capacity and quality. only negative suggestions make you feeling down.

@MESmith : possible but sometimes their are nicer solutions. what you do to another they do to you....

@JeffreyMcColom : in the old inner city.

@NancyL : B4 i owned companies with 55 employees in my home country and indeed knew where to go. in country like Thailand things are different and we have to learn the differences and learn from other experiences. sometimes a good advice from someone could make things so much easier. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble in the past, but good to hear you recovered from it and turned your wounds into roses! Happy Chiang Mai....

More info is needed here...is restaurant for tourists/expats in which case a certain amount of staff would require English (and maybe Mandarin as a bonus). Is there an age limit, what sort of hours is open to at night, is it full time/part time, cooks/cleaners/waiting staff/cashier all have different requirments, overall presentation, where roughly will it be located (as that may change who wants to workthere, and what staff you need for local clientele, or whether there is a labour base available in that area already. etc etc etc.

Will there be alcohol, in which case you need someone savvy with BIB. A good cashier. who can speak English to resolve issues, manage, deal with BIB, have some control over stock etc will be critical. Will there be isues with noise to resolve, a good cashier/manager can do this as well.. They become the personality or meeter and greeter as well.

I think the Op needs to target a bit more otherwise may have a high initial turnover in staff, mistakes, absences, and a bad rep for a new venture.

Most people (mistakenly I believe) initially hit up family members. There is probably a reason they don't have a job now. Not all family members are trustworthy just by their status of family member. A good rice farmer does not automatically become a good cashier over night. Family might be fine but they have girlfriends/boyfriends/partners etc that sometimes think its ok to hang around and bludge or perhaps when they are present they distract/influence staff.

Where you go will depend on what you need. Good luck with it but I think you need to flesh this out a bit more.

Edited by mamborobert

@mamborobert : Thanks for your reply. In the header of the post is written that we only look for help in the kitchen and a waitress. there is no problem at all but only thinking for a replacement for the existing ones that i think is not going to fulfill our wishes. that is all. and yes it is mainly where farang hang out in the old city so for the waitress it is neccesary to speak english and for the help in the kitchen she can speak any language as long that she understands what needs to be done. we are able to 'run the show' our selves but only need assistance. what we basically ask for is where to source those people because in western countries you can use a human resource company or job agency to supply someone with a certain profile. i know in chiang mai if you need someone for a little project or need some 'hands' you find them along the road in ratanagosin road (or something). Many guys stay there and very often they are picked up for a job.

Skippie,

I'm not sure what "run the show' means but if you and your wife are foreigners you need at least a 4 million Baht Thai company with 8 employees to get 2 work permits. One foreigner needs a 2 million Baht company and 4 Thai workers.

To get cook staff and wait staff you need to put up a sign on your place and see who walks in the door. Once you develop a core staff you can ask them to get some other staff for you. Maybe friends or other staff they have worked with in the past. Do not hire kids that apply around April as they are students who will lie that they are not students and they will leave around or after Songkran. Hire hilltribe and get a Burmese quota and hire Burmese, as many as you can.

You are not going to hire the Burmese on the side of the road south of JJ Market. There is a reason they do not have steady jobs in a town looking for workers. Drunks, drug addicts and whatever.

Women are a better hire than men. That includes Burmese, Thai and hill tribe. Sorry but it is a fact. We might as well be in Mexico, same thing. The Thai and the Mexican women carry the men in both countries. Without them, forget it. That is why Thai women go on to run some of the more successful companies.

I usually charge for business advice and I sometimes get paid. I also give advise that is regularly ignored. Go home, make some money and come back here and spend it.

• Like 1

Skippie,

I'm not sure what "run the show' means but if you and your wife are foreigners you need at least a 4 million Baht Thai company with 8 employees to get 2 work permits. One foreigner needs a 2 million Baht company and 4 Thai workers.

To get cook staff and wait staff you need to put up a sign on your place and see who walks in the door. Once you develop a core staff you can ask them to get some other staff for you. Maybe friends or other staff they have worked with in the past. Do not hire kids that apply around April as they are students who will lie that they are not students and they will leave around or after Songkran. Hire hilltribe and get a Burmese quota and hire Burmese, as many as you can.

You are not going to hire the Burmese on the side of the road south of JJ Market. There is a reason they do not have steady jobs in a town looking for workers. Drunks, drug addicts and whatever.

Women are a better hire than men. That includes Burmese, Thai and hill tribe. Sorry but it is a fact. We might as well be in Mexico, same thing. The Thai and the Mexican women carry the men in both countries. Without them, forget it. That is why Thai women go on to run some of the more successful companies.

I usually charge for business advice and I sometimes get paid. I also give advise that is regularly ignored. Go home, make some money and come back here and spend it.

I will say you have great waitresses so what ever your doing works ....

"Women are a better hire than men. That includes Burmese, Thai and hill tribe. Sorry but it is a fact. We might as well be in Mexico, same thing. The Thai and the Mexican women carry the men in both countries. Without them, forget it. That is why Thai women go on to run some of the more successful companies."

Agree with that.

More that one restaurant/bar owner has told me that Staff are the biggest problem.

john

Skippie,

Hear, Hear,,,,,,, Here ,Here also will fit more probably. The fact that someone has been the president of General Motors, back home, does not mean he can run a successful noodle shop in CM. Perception, Attitude, or better put other people and there perception of your or the business managers, attitude, will , in my opinion be 50% of the success/failure end result.

Many people, too many, come over and decide to start a business. What they have is a certain amount of money, maybe enough , maybe not, and a sincere desire to have a business. Maybe they had some sort of business back home, maybe it was somewhat sucessful, maybe not, but even if it was not successful, these good people , for the most part, will only admit to themselves that they were not successful because of someone elses mistake or a problem someone else created. In any event the failure was someone elses fault not their own.

There are many successful expat run business' here in the CM area. But the number of failures has far surpassed the success'. Please , for your own sake take your time, never, never overestimate your own management abilities. The success rate over here will understandably be much much lower over vs back home. You are on different turf and under different and fluctuating circumstances .

Plan ahead, yes, but don't think that you will open your doors with a fully trained, perfect staff with many years of experience. As very properly stated by THe Dukes in his reply, put up a sign , then work through all the individuals who know they are the perfect employee and can do anything and everything. The first thing out of their mouth when they come in will be "how much does it pay and when are the holidays". Work with the people you hire and find other possible candidates for employees through them....... talk to your customers , they all know some people here and possibly some that would like to work in an establishment like yours...... To all show humility, compassion and a general sincere feeling that you do care about them.....never the opposite..... remember my earlier statement......the perception of others and of your attitude can be a huge help to you..... or ..... can be a start of a downfall

Work your plan over in your mind, start to finish....... work your plan over on paper....... start to finish...... Then make your decision.....

I assume from your post that the decision has been made, and I do wish you the best of luck and may you have all the success you earn for yourself. Hope to meet you someday in the near future...

Gonzo

Skippie,

Hear, Hear,,,,,,, Here ,Here also will fit more probably. The fact that someone has been the president of General Motors, back home, does not mean he can run a successful noodle shop in CM. Perception, Attitude, or better put other people and there perception of your or the business managers, attitude, will , in my opinion be 50% of the success/failure end result.

Many people, too many, come over and decide to start a business. What they have is a certain amount of money, maybe enough , maybe not, and a sincere desire to have a business. Maybe they had some sort of business back home, maybe it was somewhat sucessful, maybe not, but even if it was not successful, these good people , for the most part, will only admit to themselves that they were not successful because of someone elses mistake or a problem someone else created. In any event the failure was someone elses fault not their own.

There are many successful expat run business' here in the CM area. But the number of failures has far surpassed the success'. Please , for your own sake take your time, never, never overestimate your own management abilities. The success rate over here will understandably be much much lower over vs back home. You are on different turf and under different and fluctuating circumstances .

Plan ahead, yes, but don't think that you will open your doors with a fully trained, perfect staff with many years of experience. As very properly stated by THe Dukes in his reply, put up a sign , then work through all the individuals who know they are the perfect employee and can do anything and everything. The first thing out of their mouth when they come in will be "how much does it pay and when are the holidays". Work with the people you hire and find other possible candidates for employees through them....... talk to your customers , they all know some people here and possibly some that would like to work in an establishment like yours...... To all show humility, compassion and a general sincere feeling that you do care about them.....never the opposite..... remember my earlier statement......the perception of others and of your attitude can be a huge help to you..... or ..... can be a start of a downfall

Work your plan over in your mind, start to finish....... work your plan over on paper....... start to finish...... Then make your decision.....

I assume from your post that the decision has been made, and I do wish you the best of luck and may you have all the success you earn for yourself. Hope to meet you someday in the near future...

Gonzo

@Gonzo and Dave

you are both very successful and savvy business owners. You are both also very wise men and I certainly heed advices and comments you both make, and others should also. Thankyou.

• Like 1

thanks guys for all the good advise. We really appreciate that. we will do most of the suggested. my Thai wife worked a few years ago for one of the better restaurants in CM on the river, so she has some experience. and yes we want the restaurant because we like it as a hobby more than that we need to live from it. we like the lifestyle. also we like to live in the old city. a good combination for us. Dukes and Gonzo are involved already longer time in the business in CM so it is very valuable to hear their thoughts. we are very excited to have our own little business soon and we are sure we will have some fun.

I'm a little concerned when the OP mentions that he and his wife wants to have a restaurant as a "hobby". The excellent advise from successful business owners here isn't from people who regard their businesses as "hobbies". You'll see them around the business all the time, directing activity, quietly training their staff, anticipating problems, in general keeping on top of everything.

It's easy to spot the business owners who think their business is a "hobby" -- they drop in whenever they don't have anything better to do, and then spend their time socializing with friends, drinking alcohol -- often to excess -- and, when things are really busy, loadly ordering their staff around like they're slaves.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

I agree w/Eyecatcher that to listen to these not only successful local businessmen but importantly restaurateurs. As I a not I won't advise on staffing here but as a frequent diner in CM experienced in opening and running many restaurants I would also caution that having a making a business of one's hobby in this labour and detailed intensive industry and where many skill sets are needed as it is not easy. Home cooking just does not translate and having a staff in the kitchen that can cook Thai for instance and are asked to prepare Western food most often will result in another sauce that is a flavorless colored liquid for example. As I've found most people here consider themselves a cook I'd be sure to give them an interview behind the stove! But if it's just for fun and profit nor customer satisfaction is not a concern, which I mean that just a place for your friends to hang out, than mae pen rai (but I wish these kind of establishments would say so before I order). But I also wish you the best and please post when your open and I'll be sure to come in for a meal.

Hubby and I turned a hobby of plants and gardening into a business and quickly discovered it was a good way to kill the love of a hobby. I'm glad we had the experience and ultimately we were successful, but the fact that now, in our retirement, we live in a high rise condo without a single plants speaks volumes about our current interest in what had been an all-consuming passion.

yes nacyL, this is a process of life for everyone i believe. when you have done a profession for years and when you were successful, back in your mind you always thought of other things that would be nice to do. but in normal life you never have time to do something completely different. when i was a student i worked in bars and restaurants and i loved it. when finishing university you go for 'proper' job about what you studied for so long. however running your own business even takes you away from your own passion too often. I studied maths and IT but as a director i had to 'manage' all the IT people in my company and barely had time to play and keep up with my own profession. So when i retired when i was 39 i started doing things that i missed during my director years and i really enjoyed. nothing i do is a need and all i do is fun. Sorry to call that a hobby and does say nothing about the professionalism and drive you can have to do things better than someone else. And yes: when i have a PC problem i ask someone else today! same as your plants.