Different Rules When Applying For Drivers Licenses

edh

A friend of mine was about to renew his 1 year drivers license (Pattaya), his expired licence was done by the book - meaning he took the written tests and drove the car and motorbike and passed without problems.

Last Friday he went with : residence certificate, copy of TM (this year a tourist visa), copy of picture page of passport, copy of entry stamp, medical certificate, all photos necessary etc - all papers ok and more compared to one year ago.

Now they told him that they will not issue a new drivers licence if he could not show a valid international drivers licence.

Question: Do you need to have a valid international drivers license even thou you have a Thai license which has expired already or does this only apply if you have tourist visa?

I am about to renew my 1 year license on March 2nd, I have Non - O one year visa ( second one and had one when I applied for my first DL), all necessary documents (own my apartment, have a son but not married - yet :o ) but expired international drivers license.

Will I qualify for a new DL??? By the way, live in Pattaya..

Any answers or suggestions highly appreciated.

Regards

Edh