Any Other Owners Of Dfm Mini Truck ?

Nakonamath

I have looked at them. And wondered if it was up to what I want to use it for. We would be happy to hear about your experiences with this trucklet

Fuel economy ? Power ? Top speed ? Any problems ? How it drives ?

I have an interest in this topic too. We were looking at them at the dealer on Ramintra last Friday and the sales woman told me the Suzuki Carry is much more reliable!

I guess she wasn't being too helpful to her employer. I really have a need for the smaller size though and they seem to be the only Mini truck available at the moment.

Power, Top speed and how it drives are not so much of an issue for my needs, but reliability most certainly is.

Would the OP mind letting us know what the 'issues' he has, are please?

Do any of you guy's know of an alternative?

Thanks

Edited by Woodsie888

I have looked at both of these trucks new and decided for roughly the same price new the suzuki would be my choice due to it being a known reliable truck. I do like the fact the dfm can be had with cng/lpg (cant remember which) where the suzuki is only gas0line powered but with the gov plans to float lpg/cng prices soon this will def kill the cost savings of lpg/cng. I have seen tata has a mini truck in thailand (the forward cab, big window is nice) now for around the same price and prob has a cng option that I will be checking before purchasing anything. Kia,Hyundai also have some mini pickups to check out too. But yes let us know how your dfm works out.

I have looked at both of these trucks new and decided for roughly the same price new the suzuki would be my choice due to it being a known reliable truck. I do like the fact the dfm can be had with cng/lpg (cant remember which) where the suzuki is only gas0line powered but with the gov plans to float lpg/cng prices soon this will def kill the cost savings of lpg/cng. I have seen tata has a mini truck in thailand (the forward cab, big window is nice) now for around the same price and prob has a cng option that I will be checking before purchasing anything. Kia,Hyundai also have some mini pickups to check out too. But yes let us know how your dfm works out.

Interestingly, the DFM website offers both 1.1 & 1.3 versions in either CNG or LPG. The sales woman told me that nowadays, 1.1 LPG is the only option, which most certainly is underpowered in my opinion. I've seen the Tata too, which appears to be the same size as the K2700 Kia, but the size of the DFM is what actually suits my needs and I haven't noticed anything from Kia or Hyundai which matches. After reading your post, I shall recheck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

dont buy this shit, it looks cute, but f... pcs of sh.. had it for 6months, had 3 months in repair, spend more than 30% on repairs, than we paid for it 2hand.

dont buy it, not even from new, if you are not scared yet, go see their repair shops at the dealers, engine parts everythere, these machines are worthless !!!

sorry !

dont buy this shit, it looks cute, but f... pcs of sh.. had it for 6months, had 3 months in repair, spend more than 30% on repairs, than we paid for it 2hand.

dont buy it, not even from new, if you are not scared yet, go see their repair shops at the dealers, engine parts everythere, these machines are worthless !!!

sorry !

Are You sure its not a Ford you bought .w00t.gif

• Like 1

sorry !

Are You sure its not a Ford you bought .w00t.gif

Pretty sure :-)

post-42643-0-58584200-1390962854_thumb.j

Maybe to small ?

Daihatsu dont appear to have many problems, where as there often look to be problems with motors from China..

Same size as the DFM is the Hijet, lots about of all ages, and many areas they use as Tuk Tuks, likewise but far fewer about The Suzuki Every

Edited by ignis

Wife wanted to buy one which was a year old still got excited no matter how much face palming I did.

Tow hook had been used and it was bent upwards . Broken down an towed within a year then crashed later before removing the tow hook.

Edited by arthurwait

So it would be safe to say the Suzuki Carry is a better option even if you have to build a body on the back to suit your need.

We have the APV, Van version of the Carry, reasonable good car at its cost.

i would go for a Carry any time over DFM, the prices is quite good for 2hand now, spareparts are not expensive, either are repair.

Jack

• 3 months later...

Hi there, Prospective buyers of any DFM Mini Truck / People Carriers in Thailand,

I'm the proud owner of a 2007 1300cc DFM Mini Truck here in South Africa. In addition to this vehicle I also own a BMW 320d, KIA Piccanto 1000cc, Toyota Camry 2.2si, Honda Brio and a Land Rover Defender 2.4 Puma.

As you can see from this list I'm a real horder of motor vehicles, and I'm also not very brand conscious. As with any motor vehicle, it's always a question of "horses for courses". All the vehicles I've owned and driven in my life, all have their strong and weak points. This is also applicable to the DFM Mini Truck.

Bear in mind that this vehicle is driven by me personally on a daily basis - 500km per day the last week. The roads it needs to navigate ranges from normal freeway to atrocious gravel roads with typical African caracteristics... potholes, corrugations, fine talcon powder like dust, tyre scredding stones etc. With all these the DFM certainly can deal with all conditions.

As far as the motor is concerned, it is a VERY lively 16 valve motor which can be fitted with a bi-turbo setup, and it is known to be able to rev very high - 5000 to 6500 rpm have been done by me personally wiyhout any undue results.

The normal speeds I travel (measured by GPS) is 110 - 130km/h, with a resultant fuel consumption of 15.1724 km/l of 93 octane unleaded fuel. (The more pricy 95 octane we get here should be better, but I'm too stingy to buy this). At this point, the odometer stands at 85 000km.

Parts are readily available and extremely cheap. This said, on the "Major Item Side" I only had to replace: (front wheel bearings, rear leaf spring U-shacles). If no parts are available for DFM / DFSK, one may use Chana parts, as these are in most cases interchangeable.

Worst case scenario, say the engine does overheat because,you didn't notice that the fan belt fell off (this may happen due to damage, but it's highly unlikely) - the end result of this overheating would be that the engine blows a top gasket. As a remedy you can have the engine "re-done", but honestly it's far cheaper to install a brand new unit. From out of the crate this costs only R10 830 ($1 083 US). A friend if mine had this done. Compare that to the initial purchase cost of R75 000 ($7 500 US), it is well worth the trouble. Additionally one may re-sell the old unit for R5000 ($500 US). Compare this to the Land Rover Defender, if this should transpire with this vehicle the engine it would be R157 320.00 ($15 732 US)!

A long story short. One may with the greatest certainty buy this vehicle. Well maintained and looked after it should be more than worth the money laid out in its initial purchase. My vehicle are rated for a load capacity of 800kg, I've loaded more than 1 ton on it for short periods, and it is still working with the factory fitted suspension and shocks.

Also what should not be forgotted is the fact that DFM as a company also manufactures engines and some complete vehicles for other manufacturers. An example would be the Honda CRV which are made in it's entirety by this manufacturer for your region. Their prowess in engine manufacture would thus be above board, if a manufacturer like Honda chooses to go into a joint venture with them. (And for those of you who thinks I may have a vested interest in the success of this manufacturer, NO, I'm not employed by them in any shape or way) I'm actually a Professional Architect who uses this vehicle to go to remote sites where the possible damage and wear and tear to the vehicle would not hurt as much as it would with my Land Rover!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We've had ours two years and really happy with it. Had to replace a switch for LPG about 1500 and fixing some leaky hoses in the ac now. Service in Chonburi used to be outstanding but he got popular and now has some real lazy bastards there. We are looking for a new place for service now. For us the difference in price was pretty big so the cute one was the right choice. :-)

NO, they did work but look at the date I posted 17 months ago, guess they all got sold. you just need to do a new search..

Have a look here http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Brand=B0078&

but leave it another 17 months would expect they will not be there

We are buying a Suzuki Carry after looking at the Tata Super Ace also.

What was it about the Tata Super Ace that turned you off it?

I think the Suzuki was just a few k more, and had bought a Suzuki for my last business, and was quite happy with it

I think the Suzuki was just a few k more, and had bought a Suzuki for my last business, and was quite happy with it

The Suzi is a good little worker but there is no diesel option. You fitted LPG or LNG system to keep running costs down?

The Suzi is a good little worker but there is no diesel option. You fitted LPG or LNG system to keep running costs down?

Nope. Doesn't work for long distances

• 8 months later...

NO, they did work but look at the date I posted 17 months ago, guess they all got sold. you just need to do a new search..

Have a look here http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Brand=B0078&

but leave it another 17 months would expect they will not be there

No use, website is in Thai with no button to change to English.

• 4 years later...

I know I'm reviving a very old thread, but since I am considering getting one of these mini vans, I was wondering if there are any new experiences you'd like to share.

People here seem to range from "absolute rubbish" to "cheap and well worth it".
Price and size would fit my needs perfectly as I would only use it for a very short daily distance to the post office and maybe an occasional trip to the race track with a bike in the back.
Another option for me would be the Toyota Hiace (similar price and size, but about 17 years older).
Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese minivan culture: intentional overload and overload. full practicality, no nonsense.

They were licensed Japanese minivans at first, but then became somewhat culture symbol like pickup truck to Thailand. Might say Chinese minivans are built of inferior interior, trims and elecs will fail in the run, but the car itself can last. 

DFSK ( also ChangAn, WuLing are among the best ) have many years of experience on these minivans/minitrucks. I would trust them can make good vehicles.  

( btw. vehicle overloading is cancer of Chinese road, almost any truck with axle limit of ~30-40t happily run >100t and policemen get tips bribery then let them go )

A5WYi6.gif
A5WGIx.gif
A5WlL9.jpg
A5W8d1.gif
A5W3ZR.gif

(pics are WuLing but same story)

Edited by Coremouse
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Old topic but... ????

we have the DFSK now for 4 years.

it's a funny china car that does just about everything expected.

Toys like (electric) power steering fail fast, just unplug, you don't need it 

air conditioning is strong enough, yet the car engine cooling is a bit a problem in traffic jams and above 35c.

while driving not a problem up to 40c, above this... Trouble.

We replaced the head gasket twice and now are paying close attention to the temperature sensor ????

it's a working car, no luxury, and the 1.1 LPG does a great job.

for looks or nice.... Better spend your money on something else.

a cheap reliable car for construction or other "hard work"..

perfect.

for the price you can get a less reliable +20 yr Toyota with a lot higher fuel cost.

Or this china car ????

• Like 1