Gasohol 95

Tywais

As 91 benzine is no longer available at the station I go to I had it filled with Gasohol 95. Believe that is 95 Octane and 10% alcohol. My car is a Civic 2.0, couple of years old, and have only used 91 benzine in it. Now the odd part is after filling with Gasohol 95 it has a rather significant power boost and acceleration is smoother and quicker. It's significant enough I had to adjust my driving style to accommodate for the increased acceleration.

My understanding is ethanol has less energy per volume the benzine and as such performance should suffer. Didn't think going from 91 to 95 would have much effect. Is my experience expected? The temperature in CM is cooler and thought higher density air may be a factor but it is fuel injected and not that much cooler at around 29.

Not a problem for me as the car feels actually better with quicker and smoother acceleration.

Sure it's not just the cooler air?

Every time I go to CNX I'm brutally aware of the power drop due to altitude, but cooler air could help make up for that with it's higher density..

That said, it is possible that:

1. Your car's ECU advanced the timing a little on 95 octane

2. The 95 you bought is just simply a higher quality fuel than the 91 you've been using.

Honda Civic 2.0 ltr nice motor will run OK on 91 gasohol and cheaper than 95, my daughters new City will run on E20 as well which is even cheaper still, no worries it's a Honda.biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1