British Tourist Who Survives 22Ft Fall Off Balcony In Koh Tao Flies Home

British tourist who survives 22ft fall off balcony in Thailand flies home with a quarter of his SKULL in his hand luggage

Lee Charie, 32, fell from balcony on island of Koh Tao in December last year

Doctors were forced to remove quarter of his smashed skull

Lee was transferred back to Britain with missing chunk of his head in a box

Experts plan to use removed skull as mold to design titanium plate

By Larisa Brown

A British tourist who miraculously survived a 22ft fall onto his head from a hotel balcony in Thailand flew home with his skull in his hand luggage .

Lee Charie, 32, smashed the left side of his skull when he fell from the balcony on the island of Koh Tao in December last year.

Hotel staff found Lee unconscious on the ground and he was rushed to a local clinic then a larger hospital on nearby island Koh Samui.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...nd-luggage.html

-- DAILY MAIL 2013-01-30

footer_n.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to stay in an apartment block in Bangkok which has a very low parapet on the balconies. I think you don't have to be very intoxicated to topple over on such a balcony without assistance. This guy isn't saying his fall was assisted is he?

Now what do you think of thai medical care. my kids think British is best. But I think not.by a long way. you're lucky to get medical care in Britian, in fact you may wait more than a week to get an appointment to see a GP ! My kids do.

Yes kudos to the Thai medical emergency services and the hospital staff.

Had anything gone wrong or if he had not recovered this well, I'm sure this thread would be pages long now with all the gossipy old dears speculating on how he fell and the inadequate ambulance services or the third world medical standards and comparing it all to the fantastic treatment he would have received back in Farang-Utopia-Land.

Since it seems to have ended as well as could be hoped for, it must be a major disappointment to the cabal of Thai Bashers.

It's not that Thai medical staff are not good... it's just that the system is a bit haphazard. I too have witnessed some great, dedicated and talented medical staff in this country. I have also witnessed the complete opposite. It's a bit like a lottery, especially if you don't have private medical insurance.

In the UK, everyone gets the same mediocre standard!

Now what do you think of thai medical care. my kids think British is best. But I think not.by a long way. you're lucky to get medical care in Britian, in fact you may wait more than a week to get an appointment to see a GP ! My kids do.

Had anything gone wrong or if he had not recovered this well, I'm sure this thread would be pages long now with all the gossipy old dears speculating on how he fell and the inadequate ambulance services or the third world medical standards and comparing it all to the fantastic treatment he would have received back in Farang-Utopia-Land.

Since it seems to have ended as well as could be hoped for, it must be a major disappointment to the cabal of Thai Bashers.

Then again you could be a cynic who doesn't really know what he's talking about and joined the thread to start trolling.

You'll find little or no bashing about medical care on here. However you will here plenty of understandable bashing with regards the cost of treatment at Bangkok Samui Hospital.

I used to stay in an apartment block in Bangkok which has a very low parapet on the balconies. I think you don't have to be very intoxicated to topple over on such a balcony without assistance. This guy isn't saying his fall was assisted is he?

Would he remember that?

It's not that Thai medical staff are not good... it's just that the system is a bit haphazard. I too have witnessed some great, dedicated and talented medical staff in this country. I have also witnessed the complete opposite. It's a bit like a lottery, especially if you don't have private medical insurance.

Bit like the best 'take aways'......Indian !

Everyone that isn't considered important gets the same treatment.

Can't imagine any MPs or their families having to wait very long.

No, its called private healthcare. Its available to anyone who can afford it or works for a company or organisation that provides it as a benefit in kind.

If everyone in the UK had private healthcare for free the system would not be able to support itself. At least there is a safety net for people who are not in a position to pay for private care or have it afforded to them by their employer.

Everyone that isn't considered important gets the same treatment.

Can't imagine any MPs or their families having to wait very long.

It really is unbelievable the negative knockers that come on TV.

The British NHS is the finest in the world. Yes of course it has faults, yes, it leaks money, yes, it is management overstaffed, yes, nurses are underpaid but by God, I am really thankful we have it.

Why do you think this poor guy has gone home as soon as he was fit enough? I'll tell you why, because although BSH has brilliant up to date facilities, the cost of surgery and after care (without adequate health insurance to pay for it) is prohibitive. He has gone home for continued care courtesy of the NHS as soon as he could.

In the last three years I have had the misfortune to need three operations. All were carried out in a timely and professional manner by staff employed by the NHS and I have nothing but praise for them in the way I was treated and with the aftercare which helped, thankfully with a full recovery.

One thing I have learned in life is that the majority of bitterness in the world is generated by the have-nots.

• Like 2

My wife and I have used the medical facilities here in Thailand and have found them quite good. BUT this is the problem we have seen continuously, an ambulance with lights and siren going and NOBODY giving them the right of way, I thought emergency vehicles have the right of way throughout the world but I guess not here

• Like 1

My wife and I have used the medical facilities here in Thailand and have found them quite good. BUT this is the problem we have seen continuously, an ambulance with lights and siren going and NOBODY giving them the right of way, I thought emergency vehicles have the right of way throughout the world but I guess not here

Really.

I don't see that.

Where I live people pull over right away.....

I totally agree with this. Good post!

Well, it's not only in Thailand. Drivers failing to yield to emergency vehicles is a major problem in many places in the U.S.

AMAZING THAILAND the country with the most incidents of people falling off balconys in the world

AMAZING

I suppose you can provide statistics.

I thought New Jersey was the most per capita...........

Just follow the news feed on thai Visa....there's like one or two per month. I don't read about this kind of news anywhere else.

AMAZING THAILAND the country with the most incidents of people falling off balconys in the world

AMAZING

Just follow the news feed on thai Visa....there's like one or two per month. I don't read about this kind of news anywhere else.

New Jersey, USA.

Ever heard of cement boots ?

AMAZING

New Jersey, USA.

Ever heard of cement boots ?

Ok, cool...I get it...there's a lot of mafia 'defenestration' in New Jersey, but we're not on Jersey Visa, or talking necessarily about mafia assassinations. Thailand has an inordinate amount of suicides, "falls", assisted falls, etc. There's like 2 articles a month just on Thai Visa about this. Seriously. Just the Dynasty Hotel alone near Nana Plaza got the dark sobriquet of the "Die Nasty." because of all of the deaths from falls there (windows though, or roof)....btw, aren't "cement Boots" for drowning people? You know? Like cement on their feet so they will sink to the bottom...or did you think it got that from their feet hitting the cement???

FYI... http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cement_shoes

Edited by KuhnPaen

AMAZING

I think we're limiting this to the "civilized" world :D

Oh come on, jersey takes it in the shorts here just like they do in the US :)

Found this...Wow...an actual "death by balcony- awareness campaign." Oh my.

http://www.dailymail...rs-dangers.html

Good one on finding this - they are all in Spain?

AMAZING

That's because the news in other places is covering the knifings, shootings, gang rapes and peadaphiles grooming rings. People falling/jumping/being pushed off balconies does not sell newspapaers in most countries. It does not mean that it does not happen.

• Like 1