State Schools For 4 Year Old 50-50 Farang Child In Pattaya

scorpio

hi,

my wifes getting very bored of uk, shes really starting to hate this country. anyway if and only if we do make a move to thailand ( probably pattaya ) then would a state run school be ok for our child to go to ? if not how much would i expect to pay for schooling for our child ? and which schools ? obviously we will be wanting to keep costs down as i need to pay for visa for myself, also living costs etc etc. we are not well off . as stated its only a possibility and a general question at this point.

thanks

Good place to start would be to read here. Be warned that private schools in Thailand are not cheap.

http://pattaya.anglo...-schooling.html

Look at Regents to give you an idea. How old is your child.Personally I do not think you are doing him / her any favors by sending them to a Gov School in LOS Good luck with your decision.

post-18949-0-69020600-1359648278_thumb.j

Edited by maprao

thanks guys, hmmmmmm even 60-000b a year would be difficult to sustain as obviously we would be running some sort of business plus paying our house rental and all other overheads.

ive ploughed all our life savings into our thai bank account, wish we had of thought about this earlier before we sent money abroad.

thanks

thanks guys, hmmmmmm even 60-000b a year would be difficult to sustain as obviously we would be running some sort of business plus paying our house rental and all other overheads.

ive ploughed all our life savings into our thai bank account, wish we had of thought about this earlier before we sent money abroad.

thanks

This amounts to $167.00 per month. If that amount is "difficult to sustain" then you have some issues to address before relocating to Thailand. Money can be sent in both driections.....

Thailand is very expensive, especially with child. How would you ever pay for any medical emergency.

Schools for 60,000 per year is not good enough. My 3 year old attends an International Kindergarten/School and it costs around 180,000 per year.

Better stay in the UK. As mentioned you can send back the money to the UK.

I agree with Thailaw's posts.

In my experience here's a quick price guide (prices per year), these are prices in Bangkok, Pattaya may differ a bit:

State Schools = You will end up with kids that think Norway is next to Sudan (seriously)

30K-60K = Acceptable Thai language only schools (which may be difficult to get into due to limited places and high demand, additional back handers required).

60K-90K = English Program schools with "50% English"...but most kids can't actually speak English.

90K-150K = Good English Program schools with international curriculum "50% English"...where kids can speak English

150K-350K = Good International schools with English as primary language and international curriculum

350K-800K = Must have golden toilets seats installed or something? (Out of my price range so never visited)

800K+ = They allow you to drive your car over 1 security guard per week.

To be brutally honest if you can't "sustain" £100 per month for your child's education (basic EP school), then this move is really not in your child's best interests at all, and parents being very selfish.

Edited by dave111223

thanks as i say im going to have to look into how to get our money back into uk, but we have sent too much and we will lose a lot to exchange back , im guessing ?

It is unclear to me how you went from "as stated its only a possibility and a general question at this point" in the OP to "we have sent too much and we will lose a lot to exchange back" in the last post 7 or 8 days later. But, be that as it may, I have no idea how or when you have effected money transfers/currency conversions, but assuming that you transfered £2,000 on each 15th of the month from August to December 2012, for a total transer/exchange of £10,000, the exchange rates on those dates for Pounds into Baht were 49,4729, 50.0, 49,3558, 48.6955, 49.4995, respectively, yielding an average exchange rate for those 5 transfers of 49.4047. See www.exchangerates.org.uk. This is a general trend, and there is nothing "magical" about the dates chosen. They are just used for illustrative purposes. So, your £10,000 would have yielded B494,047. Today's exchange rate for Baht into Pounds is B46.755 for £1, so converting your B494,047 (ignoring interest earned, which is higher in Thai banks than it is in UK banks) back into Pounds will yield you £10,595.767, less bank wire transfer/conversion fees. So, you'll make a small profit (in Pound terms) on your transaction. Well done! clap2.gif

• Like 1