Electronic Tagging Instead Of Jail To Be Introduced For Thai Inmates

webfact

I believe the prison/jail population in Thailand probably mirrors those in a lot of other countries, in that drug related offenses comprise a large portion of incarcerations.

Whether drug-related offenders belong in an electronic tagging program is another question. Is the offender some user who was minding his/her own business other than being a user. Or is the offender someone who was going out and breaking into houses or robbing people to fund their habit? Etc etc etc.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suspect that a lot of inmates in prisons are only there because they cant pay fines.

In other countries where there is more cash about someone on a minor charge can pay a fine so is not banged up.

What I would like to know is how they will define political prisoners and who will make the decision.

For instance the reds seem to think all the charges against their leaders are political.

political prisoners and economic-related convicts

This just about covers everybody that the PTP and the Redshirt leaders want out of prison and I would assume Thaksins conviction would be an economic related crime, so there would be no reason for him not to comeback to Thailand, unless of course his sensitive skin would be chafed by this electronic devise.

100% correct - I thought it was obvious but many here didn't make the connection

Aside from setting off alarms, they won't be effective unless they send a jolt of electricity to the person wearing it in the event of a breach.

And then of course the lame excuses for breaching, like "toilet broken, have to go somewhere else to find toilet."

The BiB will be all for it, another revenue stream. "Oh, false alarm, mai pen rai."

Edited by bendejo

Can't understand you guys, are you saying YOU would not pay your way out of a difficult situation if you could ?

Or would you put on your ThaiVisa T-Shirt and charge into the Valley of Death, casting aside all those who dare question the Farang moral code ?

Nearly every Farang I know drinks and drives all the time, none of them are ThaiVisa members, naturally.......

You know what, I actually live here and have done since 1990, so advice from short stay Farangs is the last thing I need, that is just for amusement, but let me tell you something, I would rather trust a Thai than a Farang any day of the week, in Thailand, yes, definately.

This move isn't about small crimes. It's all about their being no real punishment for abuse of political power or economic crimes that come about from having such power. These crimes cause huge damage to a country and wreck the lives of many when the fall out from them hits the fan. For decades this approach was taken in the west to crimes such as insider trading where the consequences were not taken seriously. The thinking was who really got hurt by this. This has now changed as it becomes clear we all suffer when these crimes are perpetrated. Sadly Thailand is going the other way and reducing the consequences of such crime. I personally have no problem with tagging for some offences if the system is managed well and has checks and balances to prevent further offending. This move here though is all about not gaoling people who commit serious crimes and not preventing them from doing so again.

• Like 1

The headline suggests only THAI inmates, if correct that could mean the Swiss girl banged up for overstaying and alleged theft of a camera will stay inside and the cop that executed a foriegn woman and drug dealers could possibly be set free?

It will be interesting to see in what order these tags will be fitted, I wonder if the police doctor accused of murdering a few Burmese gets issued with one!

What is happening with the Swiss girl now?

My immediate thought ...

the EM programme is part of a range of human rights issues and that EM devices should be applied to inmates with minor offences, political prisoners and economic-related convicts so that they do not need to be physically present in prisons.

.... Thaksin's coming home

I doubt it. It would require him to admit that he was guilty. Now we can't have that now can we.

Also I believe he believes there is a bullet in Thailand waiting for him.

Not saying there is but I believe he believes it.

Can't understand you guys, are you saying YOU would not pay your way out of a difficult situation if you could ?

Or would you put on your ThaiVisa T-Shirt and charge into the Valley of Death, casting aside all those who dare question the Farang moral code ?

Nearly every Farang I know drinks and drives all the time, none of them are ThaiVisa members, naturally.......

You know what, I actually live here and have done since 1990, so advice from short stay Farangs is the last thing I need, that is just for amusement, but let me tell you something, I would rather trust a Thai than a Farang any day of the week, in Thailand, yes, definately.

This move isn't about small crimes. It's all about their being no real punishment for abuse of political power or economic crimes that come about from having such power. These crimes cause huge damage to a country and wreck the lives of many when the fall out from them hits the fan. For decades this approach was taken in the west to crimes such as insider trading where the consequences were not taken seriously. The thinking was who really got hurt by this. This has now changed as it becomes clear we all suffer when these crimes are perpetrated. Sadly Thailand is going the other way and reducing the consequences of such crime. I personally have no problem with tagging for some offences if the system is managed well and has checks and balances to prevent further offending. This move here though is all about not gaoling people who commit serious crimes and not preventing them from doing so again.

The key to success to the whole thing is as you said

"system is managed well and has checks and balances to prevent further offending"

I would add in some cases as politically motivated crimes the offender be removed from the scene of government and under a strict house arrest.

This would need an honest enforcement arm which I don't think they could come up with it would just be another avenue to graft.

The initial response to this suggestion is that this will benefit the rich only. Can I suggest that to overcome this, any wealthy person with, say, a penthouse on Sukhumvit who wishes to take advantage of the scheme should have to make available the same residence to, say, 50 homeless (or with limited housing availability) convicted persons who would otherwise not be able to apply for the scheme. Occupancy rates should not exceed the square metres per prisoner currently found in prisons, nor drop below half that rate.

This way wealthy criminals can avoid prison, but still enjoy the pleasure of the company of dope addicts, perverts, mentally retarded, socially inept, simply venal and political arsonists which will help them decide that a life of crime is not the best choice.

It doesn't work well anywhere else so I can't see it working at all well here where the people manning the tracking equipment will most likely be bribed or drunk ! Just what we need; thousands of scumbags still free walking the streets instead of banged up with their own kind.

political prisoners , what they mean about that , do they jail people for political views or what??

This is perfect timing for Somchai , the Godfather of Chonburi !!! Stick on a bracelet, and hang out at the family mansion.

How ever I am a bit confused. Prisons are supposed to be a deterrent to crime, as by and large they seem to be a fairly unpleasant

place. So now if you commit a crime, your punishment is to be home, watching movies and eating steak dinners??? Wow......

I can now see a massive upsurge in crime by the removal of punishment....wai2.gif

It's the culture of High Status and FACE that unconsciously makes rich Thai people in Thailand criminals inhuman and brag that they are above the law.

Most people in the Thai Chinese community are like that.

Ever since certain immigrants of Chinese ancestries have invaded Thailand, they set up this corruption system from the bottom of the top that makes this race and their system untouchable until today...

Like I said before, I feel ashamed for my own race...

It's the culture of High Status and FACE that unconsciously makes rich Thai people in Thailand criminals inhuman and brag that they are above the law.

Ever since certain immigrants of Chinese ancestries have invaded Thailand, they set up this corruption system from the bottom of the top that makes this race and their system untouchable until today...

I have often thought that. Thailand would have been far better off to have been colonized, rather than invaded by the Chinese and quietly taken

over from within. Colonization would have brought English law, the greatest gift of all. Virtually all former British colonies are economic powerhouses, due to the rule of law. What passes for law here is the laughing stock of the world.... :-(

• Like 1

I have often thought that. Thailand would have been far better off to have been colonized, rather than invaded by the Chinese and quietly taken

over from within. Colonization would have brought English law, the greatest gift of all. Virtually all former British colonies are economic powerhouses, due to the rule of law. What passes for law here is the laughing stock of the world.... :-(

I mean, yeah, I think Thai people or kids aren't naturally stupid or anything like that, but they have been brainwashed by that ethnic Chinese tribe that brought corruption in the first place and build a political empire of High Status and FACE, and treat them like the scum that they are actually not, but misled to the point of no return.

I'm saying that again, original Thais aren't actually stupid, but deprived from their ability to develop critical thinking and reasoning... They have been brought up with the FACE ESTABLISHING feature that money solves all their problems, and that people who are born poor will NEVER make it to the top, because it causes the majority of the Thai-Chinese feudal community in politics, showbusiness and etc-what not to lose FACE...