Basics - Internet Speed/accomodation/arriving/banking

Malthus101

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As other posters have implied, your updated budget is quite reasonable to live a fairly decent lifestyle in CM.

Indeed, 30K THB/month and you will be O.K. But do yourself a favor and do as the others said and get yourself a 1 year travel insurance policy to cover medical emergencies and accidents. I believe a couple of members suggested a 60K THB cash reserve for medical emergencies as an alternative. That may have been O.K. 6 years ago. I would up it to 120K THB. But just get the one year policy for under 100 GBP or whatever it costs. Just so you know, my friend had what they thought was a heart attack while in an airplane on the runway in BKK. He was removed from the plane and taken to the CCU at a BKK Hospital for 3 days and his bill was around 170,000 THB. Medical care is not as cheap as it once was.

Have you checked the Jet Set Citizen website? That has a guide to living in CM in $500 and places to stay etc?

Sending money out of Thailand via online banking is no problem, at least with Bangkok Bank.

Get your visa sorted before you come is my main advice.

I'm British, but I also 'think' predominantly in Dollars. Give me a price in Baht and in my head I have it in USD & TZS pretty much instantly Very rarely would I 'think' in pounds outside the UK - as a long term expat, I don't think I'm unusual in that respect?

Surely for us Brits it easier to convert THB to GBP? Simply double it and take of the last two zeros?

After four years I still convert everything in THB into GBP as soon as I see it, whether I want to or not!

If you're looking for a place to stay for the first month (or the year) you could consider a "residence". These are usually multi-storey buildings where you rent a room (usually equipped with desk, fridge, TV, air con, bed, bathroom with hot shower, etc. and weekly cleaning/bed sheet/towel change. They also often (but not always) have a small convenience store onsite, a restaurant, a laundry lady. Internet however is typically wifi, however if you stayed longer you could negotiate whether you could put in a line for higher speed internet direct to your room.

Residences can be a bit more expensive due to the services provided, rates starting between 6000-8000 baht per month for the better ones, less for older buildings. A couple in my area of town include Smith Residence http://www.chiangmaismithres.com/ which has been around for at least five years or so and gets good reviews, and Noble House which is in the same street and only opened its doors this week (it was newly built and opened 3 days ago): http://www.noblehousecm.com/

Just letting you know as it is an easy option. Usually residences give discounts for longer pre-pay, such as 12 months for the price of 11 if you pay the year upfront. Power and water (and internet) is usually charged extra but not always.If you google "residence chiang mai" you should get more results, although some of these might not be true "residences" in the sense described above.

Last year I found myself having to go bare bones for several months since I had no income and didn't want to totally destroy my savings. I was able to get by on $600 all in a month. But it was a very basic lifestyle. I was able to treat myself to western food now and then but I actually prefer Thai so that wasn't an issue.

100 baht a day is cutting it close for food but I'm pretty sure I was close and I never missed out on nutrition.

I am not joking when I tell you that my 3 year old eats more than 100 THB worth of food per day. I think his milk costs 60 THB per day. He would starve on the remaining 40 THB per day.

Well I don't drink milk so we're probably on different diets but I do eat a healthy mueslix breakfast with yogurt and local fare for my lunch and dinner. It's easy to go far north of 100 but I managed to stay around that number and was eating well. But the OP has clarified his budget more and he won't have a problem eating as he likes.

Hi guys, again, more good ideas, thanks.

I think I will get a years travel insurance from the UK, just to know I'm covered for major emergencies. I'll get it to cover neighbouring countries too.

The reason I think in dollars is that most guide books etc always quote in dollars - it's just the universal currency and makes it easy to compare one countries cost of living with another. If I'm looking at Pesos verses Baht, I'm going to be in serious trouble! If they're both in dollars, easy.

Of course when I get to Thailand, I'll understand the Baht much better.

I have another question - I got an email from a very helpful lady who told me she'd heard of a 12 month Tourist Visa isued by the Thai Embassey in Hull - I Googled it and indeed some results came back - they call it a quadruple entry visa. That would be amazing! Any of you guys heard any more about this? I will give them a call this week.

When I arrive, I need somewhere central to the action, secure, between say 5,000 - 8,000 Baht a month and with Wi-Fi for emails and online research. Once I find a permanent place, it must be nearer 5,000 Baht and can be further out.

You guys got more suggestions for the perfect place on first arrival? Thanks for tips so far.

Malthus101

i am similar to your situation, can you live on $500 a month? Yes you can. As an example, my expenditure for yesterday rent $6, golf driving range/transport $6, food $4, beer $3, massage $5 totals = $24 a day, include visa costs you will need $10,000 a year. I use free wifi and its faster than my broadband that i paid for back in Sydney.

I would suggest budgeting $1000 and saving it up once you get here and have an actual look at the expenses you need per month based on your own consumption

$1000 is really the minimum and always have the backup in funds for a flight home stashed away, even better buy a ticket with flexi dates so that you always have that option in your pocket

There are many who suggest $500 is enough but then again they may have lived here for years and know the various ways to save a buck. I will be surprised if someone came here and made a success out of $500 a month and not speak Thai or had a partner who could show them the works on transports , markets and food stalls etc right from the get go...

Having a lifestyle without alcohol, cigarettes and ladies substantially increase the likelihood of making it work on the budget although some would tell u where is the joy ?

So to your lifestyle , come here, have a look and update us if its a success story for yourself ...many have made this home and its lovely in Chiang Mai

Rent a bike and you will be even better off saving more money . PM me if you need a contact

I have another question - I got an email from a very helpful lady who told me she'd heard of a 12 month Tourist Visa isued by the Thai Embassey in Hull - I Googled it and indeed some results came back - they call it a quadruple entry visa. That would be amazing! Any of you guys heard any more about this? I will give them a call this week.

When I arrive, I need somewhere central to the action, secure, between say 5,000 - 8,000 Baht a month and with Wi-Fi for emails and online research. Once I find a permanent place, it must be nearer 5,000 Baht and can be further out.

You guys got more suggestions for the perfect place on first arrival? Thanks for tips so far.

Malthus101

Wow. Never heard of a 4 entry tv, I thought they only did 1,2, & 3.

If it's for real (do check its expiry date - in order to get a year, a 4 entry visa would need to remain valid for a minimum of 9 months) and I've no reason to believe it isn't, go for it.

As to your initial accomodation, you may have a problem

"Central to the action"

Cheap

Quality

Pick any TWO from the three. :-)

If you want a clean guesthouse

Malthus101

Wow. Never heard of a 4 entry tv, I thought they only did 1,2, & 3.

If it's for real (do check its expiry date - in order to get a year, a 4 entry visa would need to remain valid for a minimum of 9 months) and I've no reason to believe it isn't, go for it.

"Central to the action"

Cheap

Quality

You can get a decent guesthouse right outside the moat on the east side for around 5,000 baht. I just moved out of one 3 months ago at that rate.

• Like 1

I would suggest budgeting $1000 and saving it up once you get here and have an actual look at the expenses you need per month based on your own consumption

$1000 is really the minimum and always have the backup in funds for a flight home stashed away, even better buy a ticket with flexi dates so that you always have that option in your pocket

There are many who suggest $500 is enough but then again they may have lived here for years and know the various ways to save a buck. I will be surprised if someone came here and made a success out of $500 a month and not speak Thai or had a partner who could show them the works on transports , markets and food stalls etc right from the get go...

Having a lifestyle without alcohol, cigarettes and ladies substantially increase the likelihood of making it work on the budget although some would tell u where is the joy ?

So to your lifestyle , come here, have a look and update us if its a success story for yourself ...many have made this home and its lovely in Chiang Mai

Rent a bike and you will be even better off saving more money . PM me if you need a contact

Hi Lawrence - when you say bike do you mean a moped or a bicyle?

Thanks.

Just a comment on something I don't think anybody has addressed but you brought up, if you can fly into CM directly, you'll probably be much better off. I've come in before on flights that arrived in bk around 11 pm and had to wait overnight to catch my flight to cm. A big pain and all because i wanted to save a couple of hundred that a direct flight would have cost. It's not always possible and dependent on where you are coming from but if you can fly here then I think you'll arrive in a lot better shape.

Just a comment on something I don't think anybody has addressed but you brought up, if you can fly into CM directly, you'll probably be much better off. I've come in before on flights that arrived in bk around 11 pm and had to wait overnight to catch my flight to cm. A big pain and all because i wanted to save a couple of hundred that a direct flight would have cost. It's not always possible and dependent on where you are coming from but if you can fly here then I think you'll arrive in a lot better shape.

OK beb, thanks, I'll take that into account.

A motorbike gives you a lots of options although if you like the exercise a bicycle will do the same plus a good workout ...

If u stay within the city walls for a while walking is very good as well as I have done that many times myself in the cool of the morning / late evenings ...during the hot afternoons not advisable

If you want a clean guesthouse

"Central to the action"

Cheap

Quality

You can get a decent guesthouse right outside the moat on the east side for around 5,000 baht. I just moved out of one 3 months ago at that rate.

You're right, my bad. I was thinking 'house' not guesthouse or residence. As you and others have mentioned there's certainly a few decent enough of those to get him started...

Fwiw I made that mistake not so long back, coming from Dubai I decided to be a cheap-ass and fly to Bangkok. Spent 2 nights in bkk, 1st day arrived too late, 2nd day flights (all carriers) were full, could only get a 1st class on 3rd day. So you're right it's not a great idea to assume you'll easily get a flight from bkk to cnx without booking beforehand... At the very least if you're going to fly to bkk, do a separate online booking on (e.g.) nok air to cnx (and if you're cutting the timing fine, pray your bkk flight doesn't get delayed)...

Edited by bobl

A motorbike gives you a lots of options although if you like the exercise a bicycle will do the same plus a good workout ...

If u stay within the city walls for a while walking is very good as well as I have done that many times myself in the cool of the morning / late evenings ...during the hot afternoons not advisable

OK - I walk a lot anyway so that's fine. I've cycled for the last 8 years in London so have experience of heavy traffic, although I imagine Thailand is more dangerous due to less laws and drink driving. I was looking to avaoid the cost of a motrobike but might get one from time to time.

Ah and about flights - just as a reminder - since they re-commissioned Don Muang Airport back in October, all Air Asia flights and all or most Nok flights now fly from and to there. To get to Don Muang from Suvarnabhumi and vice versa is a long and windy journey which you want to avoid.

Coming from Australia or NZ on either Thai or Qantas, you can usually add-on the BKK-CNX section to the international ticket for around $100 in my experience. It costs more if you buy it as a separate ticket. Not sure if that's an option from other source destinations as well.

It may also be worth checking other options just in case they have better prices even thought they are technically longer flights, such as LON-ICN-CNX (Korean now flies direct from Seoul although I don't know frequency) and LON-HKG-CNX with Cathay and Dragon. And of course there's the options via KUL (Air Asia direct to CNX) and SIN (not sure about current options).

Chok Dee smile.png

Edited by Plastic Brontosaurus

OK - I walk a lot anyway so that's fine. I've cycled for the last 8 years in London so have experience of heavy traffic, although I imagine Thailand is more dangerous due to less laws and drink driving. I was looking to avaoid the cost of a motrobike but might get one from time to time.

For most of the year, the difference between a motorbike and a bicycle, at least to me, is getting a cool breeze whilst driving through the city, or working up a sweat and suffering in the heat. A standard motocy (such as a common model 110/125 cc automatic moped) can be rented for around 3000 baht/month. Unless you drive a lot, you probably spend a couple hundred baht a month or so on gas.

I went the other way and bought one, you should be able to pick up a five or six year old Honda Click for around 20K baht as was the case for me. That way no issues with the bike being "stolen back" by the rental shop etc. (there's stuff on this forum on that scam). I've had the bike a few months now and no problems, Hondas in particular appear to be very long lasting (but also are most expensive used, due to this reliability). You can have the bike put in your name on a tourist visa, and even get insurance for it (mine is all-risks insured but I'm paranoid).

I've never heard of anyone on a tourist visa being able to put a car/bike in their name. How were you able to do that?

For most of the year, the difference between a motorbike and a bicycle, at least to me, is getting a cool breeze whilst driving through the city, or working up a sweat and suffering in the heat. A standard motocy (such as a common model 110/125 cc automatic moped) can be rented for around 3000 baht/month. Unless you drive a lot, you probably spend a couple hundred baht a month or so on gas.

I went the other way and bought one, you should be able to pick up a five or six year old Honda Click for around 20K baht as was the case for me. That way no issues with the bike being "stolen back" by the rental shop etc. (there's stuff on this forum on that scam). I've had the bike a few months now and no problems, Hondas in particular appear to be very long lasting (but also are most expensive used, due to this reliability). You can have the bike put in your name on a tourist visa, and even get insurance for it (mine is all-risks insured but I'm paranoid).

I've never heard of anyone on a tourist visa being able to put a car/bike in their name. How were you able to do that?

Originally the law required a work permit. Then it was relaxed to include non-immigrant visas. Then in 2001 it was changed again to include tourist visas. If anyone has told you otherwise, they're wrong. Passport, visa, proof of address. That's all you need.

From what I can gather there are still (government) places who will tell you otherwise. And of course telling a government place they're wrong is verboten. But there are more subtle ways to allow them to save face, such as presenting them a copy of the law and suggesting that somebody else has made a mistake and left them with an outdated copy.

Apparently it also depends on where you are - if in rural Isaan they may make problems. In places with a sizeable tourist contingent such as CM it's routine. I even got my drivers licenses on a tourist visa.

i bought the bike from a shop and had them change the paperwork for me, saves a lot of hassle and red tape. Paid 1000 baht for the privilege. A week later I had the green book in my name, as well as the tax sticker and compulsory insurance certificate. Subsequently took all that to insurance broker and he got me an all-risks insurance also on the tourist visa.

In the end, I knew I would get ED visa (which I have now) and stay here long, otherwise would probably not have bothered. But there was no issue whatsoever using a tourist visa to get everything registered.

Ah and about flights - just as a reminder - since they re-commissioned Don Muang Airport back in October, all Air Asia flights and all or most Nok flights now fly from and to there. To get to Don Muang from Suvarnabhumi and vice versa is a long and windy journey which you want to avoid.

Coming from Australia or NZ on either Thai or Qantas, you can usually add-on the BKK-CNX section to the international ticket for around $100 in my experience. It costs more if you buy it as a separate ticket. Not sure if that's an option from other source destinations as well.

It may also be worth checking other options just in case they have better prices even thought they are technically longer flights, such as LON-ICN-CNX (Korean now flies direct from Seoul although I don't know frequency) and LON-HKG-CNX with Cathay and Dragon. And of course there's the options via KUL (Air Asia direct to CNX) and SIN (not sure about current options).

Chok Dee smile.png

Yeah, you can end up having to travel across bk to catch the other flight if you don't book together. Another issue is your checked baggage. If it isn't checked through then you are going to lose your weight allowance. Another reason to try to book straight through. I'm not a fan of BK so just avoiding it is another reason to add to the fly-straight-here list.

I have both a bicycle and scooter and both are awesome to have. The bicycle is great for exercise and getting around. It's also the better way to see and discover the place. I'm sure I notice a lot more on a bicycle than I could ever on a motorcycle. But the scooter is great just to be able to get places fast when you want to. Just do the math and it does make sense to buy if you're going to be here a certain amount of time.

If you buy a bike, get a good one and save yourself a lot of heartache. They retain their value pretty well here so you can sell them at a pretty good price when you leave and it's a lot better than dragging around a boat anchor for a year.

Right -

There is NO 4 x entry tourist Visa, I spoke to a lady at the Thai Consulate in Hull, UK and she said so. There is only the 3 x which is valid for 6 months from date of issue and allows the person to stay for 60 days each time, i.e. 2 months at a time, or 180 days total of Thai time!

So how can one stay for a year in Thailand? Seems like it might be difficult. The lady suggested going to a neighbouring country and applying for a Visa again from there but doubted that they would give me another 3 x entry type.

Re the direct flight to CM - if I am coming from the UK, I assume that means a pre-booked change over in BK, or do you mean direct all the way from the UK to CM?

Thanks everyone.

OK - so seeing as I would quite like to learn the Thai language as I am going to hopefully be there for a year, it would make a lot of sense to get an ED Visa, right? There must be lots of threads about doing that so I will search them out but does anyone have any immediate info or tips that might be useful/essential to know? Cost, ease of getting ED Visa etc.

Plan B!

Thanks.

I remember seeing you mention HSBC earlier, not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but HSBC has closed their doors here for personal accounts and no longer offer that for personal accounts I beleive they only do company accounts now.

Edited by Thailand Bound