Basics - Internet Speed/accomodation/arriving/banking

Malthus101

First and foremost, if you're absolutely sure you want to stay for a year do yourself a favour and get a 6 month (validity) triple entry tourist visa. That will let you stay in Thailand for about 9 months with only 3 trips to immigration (for 30 day extensions @ ~$65 each) and 2 'border runs', after which you can jump over to a neighbour and get another single entry visa, for the remaining 3 months. That is by far, the easiest way to (legally) stay in Thailand for a year without spending $1000 on a Thai language course/ed visa and pretending to learn Thai.

Your internet might be a dream, especially on your budget but depends very much on where you live. You'd be advised to lower your expectations somewhat, and if 100Mbps is something that's in the "need" and not the "want" column, I suspect you're going to have a hard time.

I'm not going to comment very much on whether you can live on $500 a month because that's 100% up to you. It's possible for some, impossible for others. *I* could, if I wanted/had to, but it would be a struggle. Yes, things can be cheap here depending how many sacrifices you're willing/able to make.

Hi Bobl

Coming back to this post you made, can I ask a few questions that I'm still a bit confused about?

If I get a 3 x entry, 6 month stay tourist Visa, how can I stay for 9 months on that?

Where do the two border runs fit into that, and lastly, if I go to a foreign country (isn't that what the border run is anyway?) how will I get a 3 month Visa? Are we talking 9 months total with all of that or 12? And what do you think the cost of doing the border runs, immigration stamps, staying in foreign countries and Visa costs would all add up to in total?

Thanks smile.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for info on HSBC - coming back to banking, I've read that to get best transfer rates for moving large ammounts of sterling (£5K+) to Thailand (or anywhere) is actually to use an FX company like HiFX, Currencies Direct or Moneycorp. Has anyone done that and do they have any experience they can share?

Thanks.

Each tourist visa is valid for 60days (2 months). Each tourist visa is extendable at immigrations for 30 days (1 month) for 1900B. gives you a total of 90days. You then need to leave the country to "activate" the next visa. that will give you an additional 3 months and done once again, another 3 months Total is 9 months. In Chiang Mai, its easiest and fastest to go to Myanmar as a day trip. There is no Thai consulate there so you can not make an additional visa. Its only good to cancel the last visa and activate the next.

If you go to Vientiane, Laos, you can go to the Thai consulate there and request an additional 1x or 2x tourist visa which would put you past a year.

FX. If its only 5K GBP, its probably best just to bring it as cash....

Coming back to this post you made, can I ask a few questions that I'm still a bit confused about?

If I get a 3 x entry, 6 month stay tourist Visa, how can I stay for 9 months on that?

Where do the two border runs fit into that, and lastly, if I go to a foreign country (isn't that what the border run is anyway?) how will I get a 3 month Visa? Are we talking 9 months total with all of that or 12? And what do you think the cost of doing the border runs, immigration stamps, staying in foreign countries and Visa costs would all add up to in total?

Thanks smile.png

It's a bit confusing for newbies. Re: visiting a neighbouring country, you'd do so for one of two reasons. A "border run" is a 5 minute exit/entry at the nearest neighbour, which activates your next uleg of your multi-entry visa and gives you another 60 days. A "visa run" is an exit/entry whereby you stay in the neighbouring country long enough to get a new visa, after you've used all the entries in your previous visa.

For a year, starting with a triple entry, would work like this:

1st entry - 60 days

Extention at Chiang Mai immigration - 30 days

Border run (usually Mae Sai from CM) - activates 2nd 60 days

Another extension at CM - 30 days

Border run to Mae Sai - activates 3rd 60 days

Visa run to (e.g.) Laos - new visa - re-enter for 60 days

One more extension at CM - 30 days

Total - ~360 days.

The 'ed visa' option is another way people stay here for a year at a time. Costs typically around $1k. Unlike a university course, afail these do not give you a straight & simple 1yr permission to stay - you will still need to do trips to immigration or even border runs every two or three months. Most of the language schools don't mention this and simply tell you you can 'stay for a year' which technically is true - but not being 100% familiar with the ed visa process I'll leave it to somebody that's using that route to expand on this.

Edited by bobl

Thanks for info on HSBC - coming back to banking, I've read that to get best transfer rates for moving large ammounts of sterling (£5K+) to Thailand (or anywhere) is actually to use an FX company like HiFX, Currencies Direct or Moneycorp. Has anyone done that and do they have any experience they can share?.

For £5k, the BEST method of moving it is in your pocket. As soon as you find somewher to stay, visit immigration and get a 'proof of address' from them, then use it along with your passport to open a debit card account at any one of a number of banks. You'll get an 'electronic use only' debit card there and then. Once you have an account, should you need any more cash sent from UK the transfer would be fairly simple & painless. In fact if you have online banking on a UK account, you would be able to transfer cash to your Thai account from the comfort of your own chair.

ED Visa - I've got mine. The first time you have to leave the country and get the visa at a Thai embassy elsewhere. If you apply before you arrive here you could get the paperwork done in your home country which would avoid this extra trip. If you do it from here, you can go to Vientiane or Yangon or similar. I always go to Vientiane because I like the city and love the French restaurants, but other than that not much difference where you go. There's plenty of threads on here about the application process. I fly to Udon, take the van at the airport to the border (200 baht if I recall correctly), get my Lao voa at the border for USD 30 (price depends country), then taxi into Vientiane for another 300 baht. Apply visa, one night hotel, get visa next afternoon. You need to get papers from your school before you go as you need them for the application process.

Once you've got your first ED Visa its valid for 3 months. After 3 months, the school will prepare papers for the next 3 months. You can get that one locally (I'm in CNX, but assume same story elsewhere), so no need to travel. After the second three months, the next one will be six months, also locally. Then, the next one will be for one year apparently (not sure if you'd have to leave country for that one again).

Cost for the ED Visa is between 20K - 30K baht depending on school (give or take a few thou). I paid 23K at Pro Language which is middle of the road price-wise. That's for the one year. You then pay 2,000 for the visa at application and again 2000 for each renewal. That's about it in a nutshell, but many threads on this forum both on the ED Visa as well as the schools so have a browse if interested going this way.

ED Visa - I've got mine. The first time you have to leave the country and get the visa at a Thai embassy elsewhere. If you apply before you arrive here you could get the paperwork done in your home country which would avoid this extra trip. If you do it from here, you can go to Vientiane or Yangon or similar. I always go to Vientiane because I like the city and love the French restaurants, but other than that not much difference where you go. There's plenty of threads on here about the application process. I fly to Udon, take the van at the airport to the border (200 baht if I recall correctly), get my Lao voa at the border for USD 30 (price depends country), then taxi into Vientiane for another 300 baht. Apply visa, one night hotel, get visa next afternoon. You need to get papers from your school before you go as you need them for the application process.

Once you've got your first ED Visa its valid for 3 months. After 3 months, the school will prepare papers for the next 3 months. You can get that one locally (I'm in CNX, but assume same story elsewhere), so no need to travel. After the second three months, the next one will be six months, also locally. Then, the next one will be for one year apparently (not sure if you'd have to leave country for that one again).

Cost for the ED Visa is between 20K - 30K baht depending on school (give or take a few thou). I paid 23K at Pro Language which is middle of the road price-wise. That's for the one year. You then pay 2,000 for the visa at application and again 2000 for each renewal. That's about it in a nutshell, but many threads on this forum both on the ED Visa as well as the schools so have a browse if interested going this way.

Thanks a lot - I think I will do the Ed Visa, now I just need to decide on the school. I will do research myself but just quickly, which is the better of the 3 main schools for everyday conversational Thai and being able to read Thai script? (all I need and want to learn Thai for) - I like the fact that the time extends each time you get the new Visa - maybe if I fall in love with life in Thailand I might want to stay 2 years instead of 1, not having to do any border runs sure would be easy going.

My point is he could get travel insurance, OK it might be 30-50

Would like to know from exactly which insurance company this is achievable. Am assuming it's a UK-based company, what are the restrictions:purchaser must be resident in the UK?, purchaser must start their journey in the UK? Much appreciated...

Hi, We got travel insurance with Debenhams insurance in the UK for 28 GBP, which covered us for one year. You must be a UK resident and you must start your journey from the UK. If you are planning to stay away longer than that or have not been back to the UK in over 12 months you then have to get Expat insurance.

so i have done the quotation process, and Debenhams insurance for 365 days of uninterrupted travel is quoted at a minimum of 387 pounds with a 100 pound excess to be paid before any monies will be received.

post-173096-0-88625100-1360641439_thumb.

For multi-trip to with a maximum of 31 days of travel with 100 pound excess, the cheapest policy is 50 pounds.

post-173096-0-93478000-1360641573_thumb.

unless you are willing to post your policy details i can only believe your claims are spurious and no underwriter would provide cover to Asia and worldwide for the amount you claim.

Either that, or you cover came with a ludicrously high excess and includes only very limited (to no) medical cover, no evac or repatriation.

The other option is that you purchased the wrong plan and were not properly covered for your trip at all.

im not trying to be an utter <deleted> here, but i have some experience in the industry and cannot fathom your numbers.

Edited by candypants

I use triple entry tourist Visa's and the situation is exactly as Bobl has stated. A total of 360 days =. 2 border runs to Mae Sai and 3 visits to CM Immigration for the 30 day extensions.

Get a bike (or moped as we would call them in the UK!).....really really handy to gave, no messing with taxi's and tuk tuks etc.....independence.

Re internet, be careful....some apartments will not allow you to have your own line as they have a communal system that they charge for, in some instances. You need to get this clarified before you hand over rent, sign contract etc. I am in an apartment and I was allowed to have my own line put in.

Yes, you can buy a bike and put it in your name. If you are here for a year, might be worthwhile getting a driving licence as well! Easy to do on a tourist visa.

Edited by kjhbigv

Thanks kjhbigv

Actually, now the more I think about it, the tourist visa method you and bobl mention seems to be the best - that way if I want to learn Thai, I can truly pick the best school as opposed to a visa mill as they are known. Also, I definitely want to see Laos and Cambodia and Vietnam so any excuse to see them is welcome!

Do UK driving licenses count for anything in Thailand?

Perhaps I should take my full motorbike licence here in the UK before leaving, at least I'll feel a bit more confident riding on Thai roads!

The plan is coming together - I have my passport renewal meeting soon, selling all my possessions, working loads and saving the cash, credit cards and bank accounts being sorted... all coming together!

Thanks

Malthus101

• 1 month later...

Thanks smile.png

It's a bit confusing for newbies. Re: visiting a neighbouring country, you'd do so for one of two reasons. A "border run" is a 5 minute exit/entry at the nearest neighbour, which activates your next uleg of your multi-entry visa and gives you another 60 days. A "visa run" is an exit/entry whereby you stay in the neighbouring country long enough to get a new visa, after you've used all the entries in your previous visa.

1st entry - 60 days

Total - ~360 days.

The 'ed visa' option is another way people stay here for a year at a time. Costs typically around $1k. Unlike a university course, afail these do not give you a straight & simple 1yr permission to stay - you will still need to do trips to immigration or even border runs every two or three months. Most of the language schools don't mention this and simply tell you you can 'stay for a year' which technically is true - but not being 100% familiar with the ed visa process I'll leave it to somebody that's using that route to expand on this.

Hi Bobl, hope you're doing well.

Got my triple visa now, will be flying out to BKK next week.

One thing I'm curious/concerned about on the visa - it has an "enter before" date stamped in it, in my case, 16th October 2013.

On the paperwork from the Thai Consulate here in the UK it says, "In the case of a visa with more than one entry you must enter on your last visit to Thailand before the "ENTER BEFORE" date"

What do you make of that? It's basically saying with a triple visa I have to use all 3 up before the 16th October which is only 6 months stay in total.

Is this normal? Is this new?

Or when I do the 30 day extension at imigration in CM, will they amend this date?

Thanks Bobl...

Malthus101

16th october do your 3rd entry border run to mae sai

you then get 60 days so that will take you up to 14th dec

go to cm immigration on 14th dec get another 30 days

13th january you have to leave Thailand

Fly to kl get a single visa 60 days

takes you up to march 11th

get a 30 day extension

april 9th

fly back to london think

what the fxxx happened there

all dates are app but you get the jest

Thanks smile.png

1st entry - 60 days

Total - ~360 days.

Hi Bobl, hope you're doing well.

Got my triple visa now, will be flying out to BKK next week.

One thing I'm curious/concerned about on the visa - it has an "enter before" date stamped in it, in my case, 16th October 2013.

On the paperwork from the Thai Consulate here in the UK it says, "In the case of a visa with more than one entry you must enter on your last visit to Thailand before the "ENTER BEFORE" date"

What do you make of that? It's basically saying with a triple visa I have to use all 3 up before the 16th October which is only 6 months stay in total.

Is this normal? Is this new?

Or when I do the 30 day extension at imigration in CM, will they amend this date?

Thanks Bobl...

Malthus101

When you enter, you'll use your first entry. With a 30 day extension, that will take you to July at which point you'll go to a border and activate the 2nd entry - which with another 30 day extension takes you to October. On 16th October you do your final border run to activate your 3rd entry - which with a 30 day extension takes you up to Jan 2014 = ~9 months

The key is it's valid for 6 months, which makes it good for a 9 month stay, so it's normal...

• 1 month later...

I work with a Thai lady here - she tells me the "border run" situation has recently changed and it's no longer easy to cross the border and come back with a fresh stamp? Is this true?

Quick tip... Don't take advice from Thai birds at work about border runs. They know nada ;)

• Like 1

I work with a Thai lady here - she tells me the "border run" situation has recently changed and it's no longer easy to cross the border and come back with a fresh stamp? Is this true?

Quick tip... Don't take advice from Thai birds at work about border runs. They know nada wink.png

Agreed. Thais in general are pretty clueless about border runs or immigration issues on account of never having had to deal with them.

That said, she is probably referring to the fact that Mae Sai decided (on 1/1/2013) to have a crackdown - only issue 3 consecutive 15 day stamps - forcing people to either go to another border or leave the country altogether and get a proper visa at a neighbour.

For 'normal' purposes (i.e. activating the next entry in a valid multiple entry visa) there's no issues whatsoever.

Quick tip... Don't take advice from Thai birds at work about border runs. They know nada wink.png

So true -- seeing how they've never had to do one themselves!