Upsurge In Retirement Visa Extensions

george

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

If you don't have the degree or skills to get job here, you could always take the family back to your country and see how you go there.

Do you think you could live on 15,000 baht a month here with a family?

First of all, yes, you can live here with 15000 baht/ month, most of thai people that i know live with that and even less, and secondly not allways your thai family want to leave thailand, after all is their country, and in my experience for thais learning english is difficult so just imagime how much more difficult must be learning, spanish, portugese, italian , french etc, is not so simple as you think.btw i do have my degree, and earn enough but i do know many foreigner that r suffering because of these absurde rules.

Makes no sense they come to Thailand to suffer. Is that what you are saying. If the rules made me suffer I would move on to where I can live in peace. Beats me the amount of the younger people who think they have the right to do any thing they want to.

Not all of them thank God/Allah or what ever. There are some who know what it takes and go out and get it then settle in. They take responsibility for there actions.

Seriously, what r u talking about? I am not suffering, but here there r many foreigners that do because of the absurdity of these rules, and not every one has the possibility of going back, it seems to me that u don't have any sense of humanity in ur base heart. Edited by Om85
  • Like 2

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant in the room is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

Nonsense. You didn't have a Thai family when you arrived here. You knew the rules when you created a Thai family and now you think you are special because you entered into the situation you don't like voluntarily.

Hardly fair to those of us who did the actual work to come in to Thailand and call it home legally.

You have no idea how sorry I feel for you.

Perhaps you are like the other poster who figures he is so good he shouldn't have to do what the rest of us do.

I don't quite understand what do mean, I don't think that I am special, what I think is that like in most of other countries, if you have a blood relationship with the country that you have come to(husband/wife son/oughter etc) immigration rules should be easier in relation to those that don't have any other connection than work, investment or something like that, I do work hard to stay here, with my family, and you can save your pity for yourself, I don't need it.

Oh, you think that it's pity I have for you?

Try scorn.

• Like 1

I have this VISA sh.t luckily only once a year and call it in my case unfair. I'm married with a wonderful Thai woman for close to 10 years. Together we are proud and happy parents off our daughter. Yearly I have to proof myself again. I entered years ago nice amount off Euro's and multiplied this amount quiet a few times thanks to good, property, investments. Our property-evaluated by 2 banks (I paid them both for taxation report just out off curiosity). The properties and land is evaluated at around 9 figures in Thai Baht before the decimal! But Immigration/ Thai authorities doesn't give a sh.t about this. Because we keep investing and always improving our properties. We do have sometimes Cash Flow shortage. If I have this around new Yearly VISA application I'm completely stressed and they drive me nuts with this. This gives then again a huge blow to our normally happy family.

This 400.000 baht regulation is very unfair to people like me. I provide many Thai laborers/families most construction people year after year with an above minimum wages income. I have staff on and around my properties and our land. We feed many families and provide a lot off help to a village in Isaan. i keep investing to secure my wife and kid, for when I pass away (15 years elder then my partner and weak health but fairly good brains) but sometimes Immigration rules are unfair (and always their; "It is Up to You Remark". Thailand should treat us and give us the same opportunities as Thai's get in foreign country's.

Check article 17.1 & 17.2 UN Manifest for Human Rights!

See where wealthy Thai's own easily and legally private property abroad (Thaksin as an example), but many wealthy Thai have the same. Many Thai's working abroad (Europe, US and so on) can buy and OWN.

China is open for foreign investment, even Cuba, Cambodia, Malaysia and so on, but Thailand is still old fashioned and over-protective. A limitation on maximum land-sizes and property could be understandable for security off food supply.

But current Visa & Ownership rights is out off time.

This only beneficiary to the wealthy Thai, many from Chinese origin (Shinawatra family). They "passed the test off time". I keep "wrestling and struggling" knowing that my beloved daughter & if they ever come my Grandchildren will not face the same unfair treatment. They will be Thai. But for me and my wife the system has been really unfair.

I still love Thailand!

In a few weeks it will be my VISA turn again. And it looks this year more easy for me. Currently I'm Bank-book wise in the Safe-zone.

Edwin

But as a foreigner you cannot own land so of course you have to show the amounts in your bank book.

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant in the room is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

Please check the immigration rules for your own contry - where I come form Thais has to show they have 40.000 THB for every month they want to stay - this is even if they come for holyday...

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

If you don't have the degree or skills to get job here, you could always take the family back to your country and see how you go there.

Do you think you could live on 15,000 baht a month here with a family?

First of all, yes, you can live here with 15000 baht/ month, most of thai people that i know live with that and even less, and secondly not allways your thai family want to leave thailand, after all is their country, and in my experience for thais learning english is difficult so just imagime how much more difficult must be learning, spanish, portugese, italian , french etc, is not so simple as you think.btw i do have my degree, and earn enough but i do know many foreigner that r suffering because of these absurde rules.

Makes no sense they come to Thailand to suffer. Is that what you are saying. If the rules made me suffer I would move on to where I can live in peace. Beats me the amount of the younger people who think they have the right to do any thing they want to.

Not all of them thank God/Allah or what ever. There are some who know what it takes and go out and get it then settle in. They take responsibility for there actions.

Agree. As most of us do I have some foreign friends here and the ones with half a brain know the rules before they think about moving here. If they don't qualify then they simply don't move here. On the other hand the others that don't bother to find out the requirments end up in trouble and cannot stay.
  • Like 2

I don't quite understand what do mean, I don't think that I am special, what I think is that like in most of other countries, if you have a blood relationship with the country that you have come to(husband/wife son/oughter etc) immigration rules should be easier in relation to those that don't have any other connection than work, investment or something like that, I do work hard to stay here, with my family, and you can save your pity for yourself, I don't need it.

For Thais to get partner (or similar) visas for other countries, the sponsor needs to prove that they can provide for their partner. The Thai government puts the requirement on the person looking to stay here rather than on the Thai.

-- snip --

Edwin

I don't know if your looking for sympathy or what? The way you describe your life what the hell more could you ask for?

Read it again mate and then you might be able to comprehend ! duhhh.

What he is saying is, that he cannot have the same rights that any rich Thai can get in his original country. In case you don't know and it appears that you do not ! Firstly he cannot own land in Thailand, and then he has to apply for a retirement visa every 12 months and come up with all that cash. He is pointing out to those like you who obviously do not know this, the unfairness of the Thai regulations even though he has a Thai family. Please try to understand before you make sarcastic replies.

Thank you.

And, using his Euros, he invests in Thailand and speculates on property.

It is exactly because Farang cannot own property that the price of propertyy is so low and the very reason that the rich farang is able to exploit this fact to his obvious advantage.

Me, I'd keep quiet and not tell the world what I am up to.

So just who are all the big land owners in Thailand, certainly not the struggling Thai himself, but i will let you guess that one !

Nonsense. You didn't have a Thai family when you arrived here. You knew the rules when you created a Thai family and now you think you are special because you entered into the situation you don't like voluntarily.

Hardly fair to those of us who did the actual work to come in to Thailand and call it home legally.

Perhaps you are like the other poster who figures he is so good he shouldn't have to do what the rest of us do.

Oh, you think that it's pity I have for you?

Try scorn.

I don't ask nothing from you, you r just dust in the wind thumbsup.gif

My apologies I did not realize you had a Thai wife and family before you came here. I thought you were like the rest of them come here get a good Thai wife have kids and bitch because Thailand is unfair to them by imposing rules on them that they knew before marriage.

For Thais to get partner (or similar) visas for other countries, the sponsor needs to prove that they can provide for their partner. The Thai government puts the requirement on the person looking to stay here rather than on the Thai.

That's for partners, if you are married, the only thiing that you need to do is to satisfy the immigrations officers that your marriage is de facto and de juris, plus that you hav payed ur taxes and have a place to be, if you satisfy those then you have no problem and since the moemnt that your thai wife/husbad set feet in my country the can work freely, get tehir pr after 2 years, own a condo, etc
  • Like 1

Quite so, difficult is it to be in Thailand - like I said, try being a Thai in the UK

It's very easy being a Thai in the UK ........ the problem is getting there.

It's very easy being a Brit in Thailand .......... the problem is staying here.

Wise words.

Indeed, the immigration rules have been well known for years.

Perhaps it's time that they were aligned with the rules of other countries in this small world we live in.

See the hoops you have to jump through to take a Thai lady to the UK for instance.....

Yes , i read today that they have to do an "English language" test with their visa application. What would happen if all Brits had to take a Thai language test to get a retirement visa ?

Just to point out "English Language" test is only required for those wishing to settle in the UK.

Just the same as those Brits applying to be Thai Citizens. Same rule both ways.

Neither country requires a language test for short-term visitors.

That's for partners, if you are married, the only thiing that you need to do is to satisfy the immigrations officers that your marriage is de facto and de juris, plus that you hav payed ur taxes and have a place to be, if you satisfy those then you have no problem and since the moemnt that your thai wife/husbad set feet in my country the can work freely, get tehir pr after 2 years, own a condo, etc

No longer correct, in the UK you need to show an income of 18k UKP/year or savings of 65k UKP to bring in a wife.

I believe PR is now after 5 years.

For Australia, "Partner" = "Married" and Defacto. The married partner doesn't automatically get a visa.

My apologies I did not realize you had a Thai wife and family before you came here. I thought you were like the rest of them come here get a good Thai wife have kids and bitch because Thailand is unfair to them by imposing rules on them that they knew before marriage.

Hahaha, I came here from china with my thai wife( we studied together in china), here I got my second degree, started to work, learned the language, had a child, a condo and everything goes ok for me, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the thai immigration rules r unfair, but a heartles and asskisser oldman can't see that so you better put a bullet between ur eyebrows and make a favor to the world wink.png

For Australia, "Partner" = "Married" and Defacto. The married partner doesn't automatically get a visa.

No one get a visa automatically, at first the authorities will check your relationship status and the documents submited.

Sorry, not sure what your saying here ?

On a married visa you can work, and Extension of stay based on marriage is 400,000 or 40,000Bt but the marriage visa is just 1/4 that. legally married to a Thai and working and here just fine

No longer correct, in the UK you need to show an income of 18k UKP/year or savings of 65k UKP to bring in a wife.

I believe PR is now after 5 years.

That's quite fair amount in the case of the uk, not the same that here in Thailand.

Sorry, not sure what your saying here ?

On a married visa you can work, and Extension of stay based on marriage is 400,000 or 40,000Bt but the marriage visa is just 1/4 that. legally married to a Thai and working and here just fine

No, you only can work in certain jobs, with lots of restrictions, and ur income must be up 40,000 baht, so people that don't have a degree and r not native speakers of english can hardly get a job that pay that much.I also work here, and have my < Thai script removed > visa. Edited by metisdead

-- snip --

Edwin

I don't know if your looking for sympathy or what? The way you describe your life what the hell more could you ask for?

so many disgruntled people complaining about how bad life is in Thailand and yet more people than ever want to retire here.

Is that an oxymoron

No it's not an oxymoron, more people = more complaints that's logical

• Like 1

It does seem absurd that the government says the maximum it can pay foreign teachers is 30k a month, yet you need a minimum of 40k a month for a marriage visa, because that's the minimum you need to support yourself and your wife.

It's completely reasonable that we should be able to support ourselves, why isn't that the same for a foreign woman married to a Thai man?!

No one get a visa automatically, at first the authorities will check your relationship status and the documents submited.

One of the requirements for the sponsor for an Australian partner visa:

If your partner applies for and is granted a Partner visa, as sponsor you agree to provide adequate accommodation and financial assistance as required to meet your partner’s reasonable living needs.

That sounds a bit like "400,000 baht or 40,000 baht per month" doesn't it?

• Like 1

It does seem absurd that the government says the maximum it can pay foreign teachers is 30k a month, yet you need a minimum of 40k a month for a marriage visa, because that's the minimum you need to support yourself and your wife.

It's completely reasonable that we should be able to support ourselves, why isn't that the same for a foreign woman married to a Thai man?!

Qualified foreign teachers can earn 80k+ per month.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Indeed, the immigration rules have been well known for years.

Perhaps it's time that they were aligned with the rules of other countries in this small world we live in.

See the hoops you have to jump through to take a Thai lady to the UK for instance.....

Yes , i read today that they have to do an "English language" test with their visa application. What would happen if all Brits had to take a Thai language test to get a retirement visa ?

The Thai language schools would be doing very good business.

Sorry do you teach math? If so you shouldn't be! 400,000 ÷ 12= 33,333 Baht, I believe my wife spends that much a month. Why if you are a teacher do you need to have a marriage visa, rather than a work permit from the school who employes you? I suppose you are just talking theoretically?

@WHYBOTHER: as your quote :"as sponsor you agree to provide adequate accommodation and financial assistance as required to meet your partner’s reasonable living needs", is absolutely different, here when u r married to a Thai, u , the husband must provide the 400000 in the bank or the 40000 monthly income, and I don't know in australia how it is but in my three countries( I've three citizenships) my wife is allowed to freelly without so much restrictions as in thailand since the time she set feed there, I only need to proof that in case of emergency I can provide her with help withought being a problem to the government.