Aerosol Posting Restrictions

angryfarang

I've been looking online but can't find anything with relation to the Thai postal system and restrictions on sending aereosols.

I've found a company in the USA that will ship over VHT paint (I want to paint my engine) - My only concern is that it will be seized when it arrvies in Thailand.

Has anyone had an aerosol posted over?

I looked into getting some dupont paint & reducer- hardner over from San Francisco 8 years ago & was told it could be shipped but by slow boat as airlines cannot ship hazardous materials . It may have changed since then . It will take about 3 months to arrive maybe less. This is older info maybe someone has recent experience to help you out.

I just thought about it & the cycle shop I use in Pattaya gets Nippon lacquer paint supplies . I am sure they can get engine paint as well.

If you are in Pattaya area it is BP Racing. I can give you details if you are in this vacinity.

Barry

I'd give that brush idea the flick and spray the stuff on.

I would agree with you BSJ a motorcycle shop will squirt the paint probably for 1000 baht or so. It will look a lot better & because it is high temp it would be a nightmare to strip off if it comes out looking like a shag carpet if it has any reaction. Might be the best smallish investment you can make.

Thanks for that. So if I bought a new compressor and paint gun, I could just throw it in and paint it myself? Or would I have to thin it down slightly for spraying?

A lot of people have got great results brushing it on. The brush marks are supposed to disappear over night as it hardens...

Thanks for that. So if I bought a new compressor and paint gun, I could just throw it in and paint it myself? Or would I have to thin it down slightly for spraying?

A lot of people have got great results brushing it on. The brush marks are supposed to disappear over night as it hardens...

You will most likely need to get some type of thinner if it is a laquer base or a reducer if it is an enamel base paint. Check also if it requires a hardner & if it does mix according to the directions so it does not crack if to much hardener is used. And remember to clean your gun thoroughly so you can use it again at a later date!

So this must be similar to Ospho in the states (rust inhibitor that just needs to be brushed on.) Still wise choice to spray if you are painting the fins on the barrels incase of some contamination mishap.....Much easier to remove over an uneven buildup that brushing would incur.

Any ideas how much a small compressor and paint gun is? Do Homepro sell them?

Homepro will sell them but they are genuine ass bites when it comes to any warranty work. i just dealt with them in Pattaya on a lawnmower 3 months old & a 4000 baht fan that I got pissed & just threw it out instead of having to beg them for help. their answer to warranties are once the box is open it is used so if it breaks after a true act of God they will replace a part to fix it even if the part is 100% recall like the nice fan I bought. Homeworks is better this year. They all takes turn jerking everyone off.

A mom & pops tool shop would be better in my opinion at least they often do want to have you as a return customer unlike the big corps here.

That & most of the time they seem to know someone (if not them) that can fix it if it breaks down - besides sending it to BKK which has to wait for china to get a new or slightly used & abused part for it. Edit: if it says made in england USA or Germany don't believe it. Most of the electrical items are shipped from China & are clones verified by Bosch ,Black & decker - Dewalt Serial numbers never match. I inquired by email & called Bosch.

All copies or copies of copiessad.png

Edited by Beardog

Silly question, but could I paint it using a small compressor and an hvlp gun like this?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c246faf7d

if you can thin it down enough it shouldn't be a problem & at that price if it gets perma fubar who cares. I don't think that just shooting the engine needs a precise coat anyway. A fender or tank iffy but a motor go for it. even a primer gun would work iof it will atomize the mixture.

Edited by Beardog

Silly question, but could I paint it using a small compressor and an hvlp gun like this?

Not really mate - HVLP = high volume, low pressure, so you'd need a decent size compressor to run it properly. The beauty of these is that there's a lot less overspray than with a conventional spray gun, but again, you get what you pay for with spray guns & compressors. If you've got a bunch of jobs lined up for it and are going to fork out a bunch of cash for the equipment, I'd suggest forking out a little bit more for decent quality kit. If it's only this job, I'd take the advice given above and farm the job out to someone, although preferably someone that comes recommended...Incidentally - is the engine out of the frame or still in the bike?

Not really mate - HVLP = high volume, low pressure, so you'd need a decent size compressor to run it properly. The beauty of these is that there's a lot less overspray than with a conventional spray gun, but again, you get what you pay for with spray guns & compressors. If you've got a bunch of jobs lined up for it and are going to fork out a bunch of cash for the equipment, I'd suggest forking out a little bit more for decent quality kit. If it's only this job, I'd take the advice given above and farm the job out to someone, although preferably someone that comes recommended...Incidentally - is the engine out of the frame or still in the bike?

Yep, the engine is out. Just waiting for my engine stand to arrive before painting. :)

Yep, the engine is out. Just waiting for my engine stand to arrive before painting. smile.png

If the motor's out....have you thought about powder coating..??

Yep, the engine is out. Just waiting for my engine stand to arrive before painting. smile.png

If the motor's out....have you thought about powder coating..??

Yes, definitely. But the engine has to be stripped down, etc and then posted up to Chiang Mai. Far to much work and expense. At least this way I can paint the frame as one big block.

My wheels and frame will be powder coated.

Not really mate, depending on the powder coater having a decent sized oven, the motor can be blasted and powder coated without splitting it - of course as long as you make sure you cover all the inlet & exhaust ports and any breathers so nothing can get inside. A lot neater and infinitely longer lasting finish than paint....

OK. The powder coating place told me the engine would need to be disassembled. Cylinders heads valves, all bearings and seals have to be removed due to the heat of cooking it.

hmm, yeah, that makes a bit of sense actually. I'm no expert on this, I just seem to remember seeing an advert regularly in the motorcycling press back in UK (a bunch of years ago) for a place that refurbished engines and other cycle parts, and their selling point was that they didn't disassemble the engines, so it was cheaper...but now you mention it, I'm sure it is about 200 degrees or so they heat the parts to...oh well, paint it is then smile.png