What's It Like Living In Ramkhamhaeng? Anyone Live There?

hotandhumid

hmmm,

the software dumping text into the repository of entries complained about number of brackets,

had to delete a lot .....

Around Ram soi 187, Talad Naam Kwan Riam, its a week-end market.

Nice area, upper Ram.

-----

Melvin - Is there some decent housing villages for expats in upper ram? What about shopping etc, and quickest route into downtown suk? Thanks.

Quick to Sukh, (disregarding traff. conditions) must be to get down RamKamHeng and

get on the Klong Saen Saeb boat and jump off at Asok for Soi Cowboy or Nana Nua for Nana Plaza.

(to put it that way)

Can't help you with villages. When I see villages I tend to look away and in different directions, wouldn't

please me to live ghetto style.

I'm not much into shopping either, (except when I am in Pattaya or Phuket).

But why don't you go look.

Get on the boat at; BooBee, Pratunam, Nana Nua, Asok whatever, go until they kick you off the boat.

Get a taxi meter, promise the chap behind the wheel a good tip if he goes slowly along RamKamHeng.

(I find that taxi drivers outside central BKK are far more acmdtng than their Sukh/Silom/Ratchadapisek colleagues.)

And then you look/see look/see if you spot living areas that would suit you, shops that would suit you etc.

(I think its a fairly OK area. The area has got a lot to offer, not so fresh air though.)

If you want fresh air you go diagonally across BKK to BangKonTien, as far as I know the only BKK

area with fresh air and looking like country side (or more correctly; sea side)

Nice area, upper Ram.

Melvin - Is there some decent housing villages for expats in upper ram? What about shopping etc, and quickest route into downtown suk? Thanks.

Upper Ram 160ish ++ up to about 180ish, decent housing available on a moo baan, starts about 25k per month some ask for 40 or 50k per month.

Shopping is ok, already been mentioned by previous posts, sorry cant remember the numbers.

Schooling also available.

Its the Suk question that leaves me thinking, if this is such an issue you will be better off in Bang Na with access to the skytrain.

Given a choice between upper Ram and Bang Na, I would choose Ram everytime.

If driving to Suk, go the expressway

Nice area, upper Ram.

Upper Ram 160ish ++ up to about 180ish, decent housing available on a moo baan, starts about 25k per month some ask for 40 or 50k per month.

Shopping is ok, already been mentioned by previous posts, sorry cant remember the numbers.

Its the Suk question that leaves me thinking, if this is such an issue you will be better off in Bang Na with access to the skytrain.

Thanks buddy. No, the Suk thing really isn't an issue, I just wanted to know. Will only go to Suk once a week. Those moo baans sound good too.

Nice area, upper Ram.

Thanks buddy. No, the Suk thing really isn't an issue, I just wanted to know. Will only go to Suk once a week. Those moo baans sound good too.

Hope this link works,

http://www.ddproperty.com/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A8%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B9%89%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2?listing_type=rent&search_type=district&listing_sub_type=&property_type=B&property_type_code[]=BUNG&region_code=TH10&district_code=TH1010&latitude=&longitude=&interest=&minprice=&maxprice=&minbed=&maxbed=&minsize=&maxsize=&minsize_land=&maxsize_land=&freetext=&min_latitude=&max_latitude=&min_longitude=&max_longitude=&submit=

If not, tell your mrs to go to DDproperty, choose Bkk then for district choose Min Buri, choose rent, the above was on the first page.

If you are only going to Suk once a week, I assume for a night on the piss, as a previous poster mentioned get the boat to Asok or Nana, then a taxi back, assuming you come back after say 9 in the evening the rush hour traffic should have died down as the commuters get home.

A taxi from lower Suk to upper Ram, at that time less than an hour (probably about 40 minutes if the driver knows where he is going) and less than 200 baht.

We lived for a year on Ram, in Tatarom village. Quite nice and inexpensive, three bedroom house, furnished, 15k / month. That was in 2005.

The minburi end is a goid place to live. Plenty schools there.

Go once a week downtown no problem, 200 baht taxi 45 minutes.

also bangkapi and lat prao not far.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Funny, I know it is just my opinion but "Good place to live" and "Many farangs there" don't go together for me : )

I never said that many farangs is a good thing. I happen to agree with you. It's fine to see a few farangs IMO (or you may as well live in the jungle) but I wouldn't want to have a stack of farangs around me all day asking me about my business as they all seem to do. I prefer the locals.

Do they have to have white skin?

There are a lot of foreigners from the west/USA who does not have white skin, but still are westerners. If that is the case, maybe call them foreigners or westerners would be more appropriate.

Edited by forumuser10

Funny, I know it is just my opinion but "Good place to live" and "Many farangs there" don't go together for me : )

I never said that many farangs is a good thing. I happen to agree with you. It's fine to see a few farangs IMO (or you may as well live in the jungle) but I wouldn't want to have a stack of farangs around me all day asking me about my business as they all seem to do. I prefer the locals.

There are a lot of foreigners from the west/USA who does not have white skin, but still are westerners. If that is the case, maybe call them foreigners or westerners would be more appropriate.

Get a life, pal.

• Like 2

You're asking the wrong people, according to this article. You may have more luck enquiring at pantip.com

"... in the early hours of last Saturday, a man matching Mr Armstrong’s description asked a group of three people which bus he needed to board for Ramkhamhaeng - a suburb of Bangkok rarely explored by tourists but home to the university....."

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/kelsale_missing_tom_armstrong_sighting_takes_search_to_bangkok_suburb_1_1866795

Is the river boat taxi pier far from upper Ram? I ask as looking at the map it appears that the 2 ARL stations (Ram and Hua Mak) are quite a distance away.

River boat is on Ram soi 107.

Sorry dont know where the ARL stations are, never used it.

Ok, thanks. I know that Ram ARL is lower end of Ram.

I lived in Ram soi 65 gor a few years.

Great place to love if you are young and single with all the uni girls. Most of the Ram uni ones are very friendly, coming from Isarn. The Abac ones are not so.

Great for the Mall Bangkapi. Klong saen saeb is great for getting into pratunam.

Much better than Bang na, and cheaper.

No RAM is NOT better than Bangna, at least not in year 2013 anymore. I lived at Ram near Lamsalee for 6 years, and while I enjoyed to live at the end of a dead-end-road-Soi in a surprisingly quiet environment, I really got p*ssed off with the traffic in the end. Plus the area is prone to flooding, and during rainy season, my Soi was flooded every other day, so no Saloon Car or Taxi could go to / from the building I stayed at. only a 4WD or truck. taking public transport could take hours in the evening to get back home, the entire RAM road is stop-and-go for hours. Even though the non-Farang-surrounding was quite pleasant, I decided to move to Bangna and did not regret. Bangna is developing at a fast pace, with shopping and dining options popping up every month. Even though the distance to downtown - let's say SIAM Square - is not less than from my Soi at RAM, it is much much easier to get there, and, even more important, get back home. The Bus never takes longer than 12-15 minutes to the UDOMSUK BTS STATION, even though I am at KM 7 of Bangna-Trat Road. Plenty of shopping and good Supermarkets around ( 2 x Big C, 1 x Tesco, 2 x TOPS, 1 x Villa), and Mega Bangna in particular is a pleasant low-story-place of a Mall with plenty of nice Resto's and Pubs / Wine-Bars, where you could easily spend a full day - plus it has IKEA if that's your kind of thing (mine it is not). Suvernabhumi is very easy to access, as are High-/Motorways to any given direction. Plenty of new Condos are being built now in this area (Lumpineeville, for example), so this area will even improve further in the future, no doubt about it. And for kids it is certainly much much better as well....Several international schools are in the vicinity (Suk Soi 107, Bangna Trat around KM 3 and at Soi Parkland). I was wondering if I would like it here in Bangna, but I wouldn't wanna go back to cramped and overcrowded Ramkhamhaeng.

Edited by THAILIBAN

I lived in Ram soi 65 gor a few years.

Great place to love if you are young and single with all the uni girls. Most of the Ram uni ones are very friendly, coming from Isarn. The Abac ones are not so.

Great for the Mall Bangkapi. Klong saen saeb is great for getting into pratunam.

Much better than Bang na, and cheaper.

No RAM is NOT better than Bangna, at least not in year 2013 anymore. I lived at Ram near Lamsalee for 6 years, and while I enjoyed to live at the end of a dead-end-road-Soi in a surprisingly quiet environment, I really got p*ssed off with the traffic in the end. Plus the area is prone to flooding, and during rainy season, my Soi was flooded every other day, so no Saloon Car or Taxi could go to / from the building I stayed at. only a 4WD or truck. taking public transport could take hours in the evening to get back home, the entire RAM road is stop-and-go for hours. Even though the non-Farang-surrounding was quite pleasant, I decided to move to Bangna and did not regret. Bangna is developing at a fast pace, with shopping and dining options popping up every month. Even though the distance to downtown - let's say SIAM Square - is not less than from my Soi at RAM, it is much much easier to get there, and, even more important, get back home. The Bus never takes longer than 12-15 minutes to the UDOMSUK BTS STATION, even though I am at KM 7 of Bangna-Trat Road. Plenty of shopping and good Supermarkets around ( 2 x Big C, 1 x Tesco, 2 x TOPS, 1 x Villa), and Mega Bangna in particular is a pleasant low-story-place of a Mall with plenty of nice Resto's and Pubs / Wine-Bars, where you could easily spend a full day - plus it has IKEA if that's your kind of thing (mine it is not). Suvernabhumi is very easy to access, as are High-/Motorways to any given direction. Plenty of new Condos are being built now in this area (Lumpineeville, for example), so this area will even improve further in the future, no doubt about it. And for kids it is certainly much much better as well....Several international schools are in the vicinity (Suk Soi 107, Bangna Trat around KM 3 and at Soi Parkland). I was wondering if I would like it here in Bangna, but I wouldn't wanna go back to cramped and overcrowded Ramkhamhaeng.

We have lived in "early" Ramkamhaeng (Soi 43/1) for 13 years and like it very much, particularly these days as loads of good new restaurants and good small malls have opened in the past 5 years. Also two very good British Curriculum schools very close (good thing); Triall School and the Singapore International School. Our 6 year old goes to Triall, which I consider to be an excellent school by any standards, and the cost is quite a bit less than other similar schools in Bangkok. Not too many farangs (good thing) can be time consuming getting to Sukhumvit at peak traffic times (bad thing) but we dont need to so it really does not matter. Also easy access to the expressways (good thing). The boats along Klong Sam Saep are good for travel into Sukhumvit, cheap and run every +/- 15 minutes from 05.30 - 21.00 hrs every day. Rents are probably quite a bit cheaper than most other parts of central Bangkok but choice is limited so finding what you want may take quite a bit of time.

However, "late" Ramkamhaeng is another matter entirely as the traffic on Ramkamhaeng is always very busy/very slow so getting to/from home would be a nightmare.

Get a life, pal.

Yeah, right on, dude.