The Thai Stock Market

Sure right. People who understand never lose money in the stock market or anywhere else.

You could be my ex twisting my words like that.

Sorry thailand, I guess I misunderstood your post.

Accept my appologies.

Well you certainly aren't the ex as she has never apologised.

My brother works for in the finance dept. for a major company in Thailand and the staff are allowed to trade company shares in thus company whenever they like.

He hasn't but the fact that he (they) are allowed, and there is no regulation regarding this is astounding to me.

There are certain periods during which company senior employees are not allowed to trade in own stock. I dont know the exact rules. We do get e-mail alerts from my company's legal department during such blackout periods to stop trading in own company stock.

Well, this is unbelievable. I came across this info when I asked an agent of an investment company the same exact question, two weeks ago, and he said they can buy shares as long as they let the company know about it.

I guess one should find out what they are invested in...

Sure right. People who understand never lose money in the stock market or anywhere else.

You could be my ex twisting my words like that.

Sorry thailand, I guess I misunderstood your post.

Accept my appologies.

Well you certainly aren't the ex as she has never apologised.

My brother works for in the finance dept. for a major company in Thailand and the staff are allowed to trade company shares in thus company whenever they like.

He hasn't but the fact that he (they) are allowed, and there is no regulation regarding this is astounding to me.

So far as I know it's allowed anywhere in the 'Western' world. "insider" trades are recorded and publicly available.

'I am thinking about investing a sum of money in the Thai stock market.

In the year of 2012 it roamed by 36% I hear, and some predict it won't repeat itself this year.

Does anybody have more insight to this matter, and holds any thought about: Thai stock market, is it a good investment compared to others?'

The first questions are how much you are thinking of investing, what is your risk profile, do you intend to be a trader or an investor, how much time you are going to put into it and what is it you are hoping to achieve. With regards to your aversion to volatility implied by the reference to Thai SET 36%, there is no rule that says either the SET or any other exchange will not vary by such amount (eg +/- 18%). If you want reassurance that stocks will not end up 18% down at the end of the year you can't have it anywhere. No guarantees. Stick it on deposit.

• Like 1

'I am thinking about investing a sum of money in the Thai stock market.

In the year of 2012 it roamed by 36% I hear, and some predict it won't repeat itself this year.

Does anybody have more insight to this matter, and holds any thought about: Thai stock market, is it a good investment compared to others?'

The first questions are how much you are thinking of investing, what is your risk profile, do you intend to be a trader or an investor, how much time you are going to put into it and what is it you are hoping to achieve. With regards to your aversion to volatility implied by the reference to Thai SET 36%, there is no rule that says either the SET or any other exchange will not vary by such amount (eg +/- 18%). If you want reassurance that stocks will not end up 18% down at the end of the year you can't have it anywhere. No guarantees. Stick it on deposit.

I was thinking more of thoughts rather then guarantees.

Did anyone hear what Alan Greenspan said last night about the US stock market? I'm wondering if the same sentiments apply here and how many agree with him?

"the stock market is the key player in the game of economic growth."

Yes I watched that interview last night. I don't think it matters whether one agrees with him or not on a binary yes/no . The issue is whether various commentaries cause one to change one's investment/savings behaviour and to what degree.

Did anyone hear what Alan Greenspan said last night about the US stock market? I'm wondering if the same sentiments apply here and how many agree with him?

change the words "the key player" to "a key player" and I'd agree

Fletch

:)

On a P/E of 19.63 the SET doesn't look cheap, and has got a bit ahead of itself in my view. The div yield is now only 2.59%, which doesn't look as attractive as it used to either smile.png

Long term story is still there, and for someone based in Thailand wanting THB liquid assets there aren't many attractive alternatives, but if I were short term trading the risk of a pullback looks higher...

Fletch

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

change the words "the key player" to "a key player" and I'd agree

Fletch

smile.png

Well you cant do that ? That is whole point of all the outrage that has been expressed since then. He really believes this- that the economy follows the stock market, not the other way around. So in his world, when things are terrible just prop up the stock market, build a stairway of lies, and the economy will tag right along. Of course that is rubbish and the problem is it doesn't work.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1