The Thai Stock Market

I am thinking about investing a sum of money in the Thai stock market.

In the year of 2012 it roamed by 36% I hear, and some predict it won't repeat itself this year.

Does anybody have more insight to this matter, and holds any thought about: Thai stock market, is it a good investment compared to others?

Any thought would be interesting.

Stock markets seem to be at record highs and while Thai has better reason to be there maybe than western ones I feel like a major drop is due globally based on the fundamentals. This is all just at speculation points now.

• Like 1

The Thai stock market can be volatile and hard to call on a short term basis. Thailand also has a habit of throwing up political and other factors - some would say shooting itself in the foot - which temporarily distort the markets. The economy then plows on and markets re-align and carry on.

I'd say we're at somewhat of a pivotal point globally - not just Thailand - and markets risk either a pull back or could carry on for all time highs. 2009, 2010, 2012 all looked undervalued to me, and were much easier to call. Part of 2012 was also making up for a poor 2011, so bear that in mind for your 36% last year.

If looking longer term, I'd be comfortable in backing the Thai market to be higher than it is now in say 5 years, so wouldn't be afraid to invest.

If looking for trading gains on short term it's less clear, and you might be better waiting for a pull back, but risk missing out.

If you're a long timer here, just consider spreading what you'd like to invest on a monthly basis over a couple of years into solid diversified funds like Aberdeen Growth. Thailand is a market where dollar/baht cost averaging really does come into its own given it's unpredictabilities. There's also the risk of a certain very important person not allowed to be mentioned causing a short term slide sometime over the next few years. (Not Thaksin)

Also depends on your existing holdings. I'm bullish on Thailand for the next few years based on longer term investing. That said because of some stellar performance in the last few years I may reduce a little as Thailand's successes have left me higher than I usually target, and I need to rebalance my portfolios a bit. If starting from zero though and looking longer term, I'd be back to adding monthly and baht cost averaging over the next few years.

Cheers

Fletch

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

A question at a tangent to this topic: I've been putting money into the thai stock market over the last couple of years and made reasonable gains in my investment - which is still in stocks. Should I want to repatriate the money I brought in as well as the gains will that present a problem?

A question at a tangent to this topic: I've been putting money into the thai stock market over the last couple of years and made reasonable gains in my investment - which is still in stocks. Should I want to repatriate the money I brought in as well as the gains will that present a problem?

There's usually no tax on capital gains from the Thai stock market. So there's no reason you wouldn't be able to from a technical viewpoint. Particularly if all your paperwork is in order.

You may well run into the usual type of bank hassles that can crop up though, such as people not knowing what they are doing. Wrong bank employee at the wrong bank on the wrong day etc :)

Thank you Fletch. That's very helpful in looking on overall risks/gains. I guess, like you said, we are facing a pull back after a very successful 2012. . I am long term here and long term investor. So looking to the next year or so.

Does Asian have any effect on, let's say housing project' stocks?

Thank you Fletch. That's very helpful in looking on overall risks/gains. I guess, like you said, we are facing a pull back after a very successful 2012. . I am long term here and long term investor. So looking to the next year or so.

Does Asian have any effect on, let's say housing project' stocks?

Overall, consider converting some percentage of your portfolio into physical Thai gold. Right now is a good time to do that. Seriously.

Fletch gives good advice. If you are looking for short-term trading gains, look for a pullback (so far today we are down 16 points). I would look for 2-3 days of 10+pt drops. For the long term, things look good and picks like AIS (ticker-ADVANC), PTTEP, CPF and SCB, and other big-caps are appetizing.

regarding gold, sure you can add some to your portfolio as a disaster-hedge, but be careful googling "should I buy gold?" because you will find a billion website that say YES as the gold-selling business has become very lucrative.

After googling I can see why it is a good time to buy now. Very expensive though.

It might be a good time to buy, but in investing it is NEVER good to buy expensive assets in the hope for better than average returns. The best time to buy Thai stocks was about 12 years ago and then again briefly in 2008/2009 - when everyone thought the country and world was facing Armageddon and the most common reaction to the OP's suggestion would be met by a dozen comments like "never invest in Thailand anything you can't afford to lose" or something stupid like that. Now the Thai stock market has tripled in about 4 years, everyone is wanting to invest in Thai stocks.

I had a good return over that time but I wouldn't be putting any new money into Thai stocks when there are many very cheap assets elsewhere - US real estate and select US/European shares are examples. But it's your money, if you feel safer in the company of crowds go for it.

Edited by Time Traveller

How is Thai gold different then the rest of it? and why is it good time now?

Thai gold is 96.4% pure (someone correct me if that's not exact) which is not the international standard of 99.99% (bars, Maple leafs, etc) but is increasingly becoming accepted outside Thailand. After all, gold is gold whatever the content of the piece.

A major advantage here is the buy/sell spread which is minimal. In other countries the buying premium can be around 10% and you will probably have to sell around 2% less than spot price.

Don't buy gold to trade short term, buy to hold as it will keep it's value with inflation.

As a simplified explanation, say you pay 10oz of gold for a car today, you will still pay 10oz of gold for a car in 5 or 10 years ahead, whereas you would be paying a lot more Thb or other currency in that time.

If you think it's expensive now, well just you wait and see is my opinion (and I still buy some every couple of months).

OK, Thai gold is not sold in Troy ounces but 2Baht weight of Thai gold is pretty well 1oz,, just allow for that small difference in purity. You will find the established gold shops in BKK very straight to deal with.

Hope this helps a little.

It's very unusual for a stock market to rise that mount two years running, though not impossible. But take a look at the long-term chart - every big up is followed by a pretty large drop. No-on knows what it will do this year, because no-one can predict what will happen both here and globally. If there has already been a huge increase, then the downside risks get greater. You could just add a 5-10% stop loss to make sure you don't lose too much.

Naam,

Where are you when your input is always welcomed wai2.gif

there are a lot of things i have not the faintest idea about, e.g.:

-the mind of a woman,

-how to use a squat toilet to poo,

-the increase of bar fines in Soi Cowboy after 1976,

-the Thai banking system,

-why my dogs (plural) like to chase cats,

-why some Farangs hate to be called Farangs,

-the claim that ~70million xenophobic Thais "don't want me to live in Thailand".

and last not least

-the future development of the Thai or any stockmarket on this planet.

• Like 2

How is Thai gold different then the rest of it? and why is it good time now?

Don't buy gold to trade short term, buy to hold as it will keep it's value with inflation.

Except that in the period 1980-2005 it didn't, so your advice is bogus.

As we say 'Up to you' and each to his own.

Yes indeed, the female mind might be easier than investment options.

On a short reflection, not true. wai2.gif

Naam,

Where are you when your input is always welcomed wai2.gif

there are a lot of things i have not the faintest idea about, e.g.:

-the mind of a woman,

-how to use a squat toilet to poo,

-the increase of bar fines in Soi Cowboy after 1976,

-the Thai banking system,

-why my dogs (plural) like to chase cats,

-why some Farangs hate to be called Farangs,

-the claim that ~70million xenophobic Thais "don't want me to live in Thailand".

and last not least

-the future development of the Thai or any stockmarket on this planet.

offtopic2.gif Soi Cowboy, complete with Jay and 'Jay's Soul Food' were my watering hole and a distant memory... (just as well, don't seem to have many these days) wai2.gif

Sure right. People who understand never lose money in the stock market or anywhere else.

You could be my ex twisting my words like that.

Ha, ha, too true.

Anyone investing in anything has to accept some losses along the way. You just have to manage situations and risks.

Sure right. People who understand never lose money in the stock market or anywhere else.

You could be my ex twisting my words like that.

Sorry thailand, I guess I misunderstood your post.

Accept my appologies.

Well you certainly aren't the ex as she has never apologised.

My brother works for in the finance dept. for a major company in Thailand and the staff are allowed to trade company shares in thus company whenever they like.

He hasn't but the fact that he (they) are allowed, and there is no regulation regarding this is astounding to me.