The World Loves Toddler Nong Dylan, But His Parents Are Wary: Thai Alphabet

webfact

The world loves Nong Dylan, but his parents are wary

Veena Thoopkrajae

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The parents of Nong Dylan, a half-Thai toddler living in the UK who's become a YouTube sensation by rattling off the Thai alphabet the way Thai children do, say they'll do their best to keep him safe from hovering advertisers.

"We won't let him appear in a commercial unless he wants to and is old enough to understand," said the boy's dad, Peter Hall, in an e-mail interview with The Nation. "Several programmes have approached us but we have said no. We see a difference in him getting publicity for being himself and in getting publicity for being forced to do something."

newsjs

Nong Dylan's video entitled "Hard Core Kor Kai" was made in Wales for relatives and friends of the family across the world. It has been a big hit and gone viral, even spawning copycats and funny impersonations. The 3-year-old boy learned to speak and read Thai from his mom, Passamon.

"He knows Thai is a different language," Hall said. "He loves 'phet phet' [spicy] food, as his mum is a very good cook. He likes to eat anything with strong flavours."

The parents were pleasantly surprised by the video's popularity. But they're also balancing new-found fame with privacy. Reporters have hounded the family seeking interviews, and their story has featured on the BBC news.

"We have concerns. There are lots of people we have said no to," Hall said.

Asked why he thought the video had struck a chord with Thai viewers, Peter said: "The fact that he tries to get the traditional Thai alphabet correct - and at the same time using a rock style (he likes rock music), while still so young - all this while in a multicultural family living away from Thailand."

The alphabet video has so far received more than 2.4 million views in more than two weeks on YouTube. His Facebook page, DylanKorKai, garnered more than 112,000 "likes" within a few days.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-07

"We won't let him appear in a commercial unless he wants to and is old enough to understand," said the boy's dad, Peter Hall, in an e-mail interview with The Nation. "Several programmes have approached us but we have said no. We see a difference in him getting publicity for being himself and in getting publicity for being forced to do something"

Well done to the parents. I wouldn't like to see this boy on some show with a microphone pushed into his face while a big group of people wait eagerly to see him do it again.

Morals over money. How refreshing.

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 2

Oh wooooooooooow...a boy that can say... the alphabet in a.... language!

I have never seen anything as amazing as that in my life before!

How cuuuuuuuuuuute!

Can I go on with my F@#$&(* life, now?coffee1.gif

• Like 2

As much as Dylan's cognitive skills are admirable, why is he branded "half-Thai" and not "half-Welsh" by the local press?

I know why, namely for the same reason why celebrity violinist Vanessa-Mae is branded "half-Thai" and not "half-Singaporean", star golfer Tiger Woods likewise is labeled "half-Thai" and not "half-American", and a certain female U.S. senator was described as "Thai-born" and not as "a naturalized U.S. citizen".

Would Dylan have even been mentioned in a three-line news snippet if he - as a "half-Thai" - would be able to recite the ABC?

Edited by Misterwhisper

Ironically, there is an excellent language research book about how to educate bilingual kids in two languages. I bought it years ago, written by a Welsh speaking mother, and and English speaking father, both of whom were professors at Cardiff University.

Every time I see a Thai mother speaking broken English to her kids, or a farang Dad speaking broken Thai to his kids, it grates.........

• Like 1

This story was fawned over repeatedly in yesterday morning's channel 3 TV Sorayut's news show. The Thai presenters just sat there in amazement & wonder and pride as they watched it. They showed a split screen so the Thai audience could see how proud everyone in the studio was of the youth. Well, I guess a country the relative size and importance of Thailand, with a language whose utility is mostly confined to the country's borders is entitled to whatever global reach they feel their language can garner - even to Wales. smile.png

Ironically, there is an excellent language research book about how to educate bilingual kids in two languages. I bought it years ago, written by a Welsh speaking mother, and and English speaking father, both of whom were professors at Cardiff University.

Every time I see a Thai mother speaking broken English to her kids, or a farang Dad speaking broken Thai to his kids, it grates.........

Yep. Rule of thumb - speak your 'mother tongue' to your child. I speak english only to my son, mother speaks mostly Thai, but she's fluent in english so will use it sometimes. They learn both, but obviously they will be stronger in the language of the country they live it.

Not too sure what's so special about those youtube videos. Perhaps his animation. Most bilingual kids at that age know two alphabets if they are regularly using both languages.

its common sense isn't it.

However, my ex speaks very good english . She takes great pride in her english and it was difficult to get her to speak only thai.

i dont speak thai to my child

• Like 1

its common sense isn't it.

However, my ex speaks very good english . She takes great pride in her english and it was difficult to get her to speak only thai.

i dont speak thai to my child

I have heard it and seen it 1000 times picking my kids up from school.

Harrased dolled up Thai mum's standing there screaming "Why you come late, I go Tesco". Have a mate who persists in asking his kids if it is "aroooay, meye?".

Mom had to help him, so I am not impressed.

He MOM, give your boy less fast foods and cook healthy for him, before he grows up to be another obese kid/teen/adult.

yes mum is coaxing him all the way through.

If they are 'wary' then why are they posting more clips on Youtube?

Well maybe they want to show the world how children would be ably to learn two languages, indirect language training tips???

That is not a problem. If each parent speaks a different language and, perhaps a grandmother or grandfather speaks a third, most children will pick up all three if you are consequent.

• Like 1

Can he read English, because to claim he is reading Thai at 3 is as unbelievable as the claim that he eats spicy food. Few thais feed three year olds "phet phet" (sic) at that age.

I agree, I have never seen anyone give very spicy food to a toddler of that age

Can he read English, because to claim he is reading Thai at 3 is as unbelievable as the claim that he eats spicy food. Few thais feed three year olds "phet phet" (sic) at that age.

I agree, I have never seen anyone give very spicy food to a toddler of that age

Probably mai phet for the mother, but phet phet for the father...

biggrin.png

The article states that he has been taught to read by his mother, but on the video he does no more than recite the Thai alphabet (with prompting), something which could be achieved by any number of youngsters with above-average memory retention and an inclination to talk a lot. Its akin to singing a song, albeit a rather long and complex one for a 3-yr old. There is no evidence of his reading skills, nor even of his character-name association skills. Granted, he may well go on to become an excellent reader, perhaps even by the time he's 4 or 5.

This is only a big deal because of the Thai people's penchant for cute kids with skills that transfer well across the medium of video/TV. I hear it every week on the Thai programming from my mae yai's television: 'gang maak, nar rak nah' ad infinitum....

Edited by bluegum

My son who is mixed also has known the Thai aphabet and the english aphabet since he was 3, he is now 4 and can read and write in both languages. Cute little boy but do not see what is so special. Maybe because he lives in Wales.

Let's make a vid then and upload it to Youtube, since I don't believe you. If a 4 year old can read and write in both languages he is either a miracle child or you are lying. Probably the last onecoffee1.gif . My daughter can speak both languages and starts to be able to read/write now, but she is 5 (almost 6 now). My son of 2,5 can speak some on both languages, but of course can't read/write yet. As to know the alphabet from 3 year onwards it's normal indeedsmile.png

My 10 year old son has already mastered Thai after only 1 year living here and i have 13 years under my belt and Dylan kicks my sorry ass.

Cuteness and delivery is the magic that captivated the public, but so humbling and sobering to a tongue tied farang .