How Much Land Is A Rai?

Hi,

Was just wondering how much land a rai is? in English terms in square meters and how much would that kind of land cost per rai depending on location in Thailand. Just trying to find the best place to purchase land in Thailand and get the best price for it.

Thanks,

HH

5,000 - 10,000 baht per Rai, is what you will probably pay in the country - anywhere out of a city area. 40,000,000 Baht a Rai in Patong (Phuket) and probably a figure of 100,000,000 Baht per in The middle of Bangkok (that is a guess.) If you are looking to live in an Expat area, you will find land in Phuket that is not on the beach, but nice for about 1,500,000 per Rai and other areas, I wil let the guys who live there answer.

Any direct Beach front land in Phuket is over 5,000,000 per Rai, even on the East coast. It is also hard to buy 1 Rai plots as they are offered for sale in bigger lots.

What area were you looking to live in?

Ah icy now it was a range that's why I misunderstood - between 5,000 - 100,000,000 per rai... with ya now sorry about that.

My wife has been told about some land in Udon Thani opposite where her Aunt lives - there are 2 plots one for 2,000,000 and the one we are interested in for the same size is 900,000 special offer as they are related to our aunt's husband... just wanted to make sure we were not being ripped off. The reason the bit we want is cheaper is the other one has already been levelled off and just needs to be built on.

Thanks for your help,

HH

PS sounds a good price to me.

some land in Udon Thani opposite where her Aunt lives - there are 2 plots one for 2,000,000 and the one we are interested in for the same size is 900,000 special offer

Sounds like a rip off to me - of course depends on the size of the land. However, for a normal building plot in Udon Thani I think you have one too many zeros. :o

Even if you think you have negotiated a good price doesn't mean you aren't getting ripped off. Based upon mean experience in Thailand I suggest you be very paranoid about any financial transaction. Hire your own lawyer, do your own title search, accompany the seller to any meetings with government officials, get your own financing, get everything in writing, buddy up to the local phuyai and police. Be very paranoid. Trust but verify. Assume the worst and be delighted when it doesn't befall you.

Hate taking such a dim view of human nature, and certainly not all Thais are miscreants, quite the opposite. But it just happens so often that people take advantage. Precious few of the safeguards foreigners may be accustomed to in their own countries exist or are enforced or are enforceable in Thailand. And sadly, sometime one is SOL simply because one is a foreigner, as though foreigners are "fair game."

My dear, sweet Thai mother-in-law, bless her heart, is the most unassuming kind-hearted person you could ever meet. Unfortunately there are far too many in Thailand who see that as a big, red target painted on her back. The shennanigans with which politicos and captains of industry fill the papers extend right down into our own gardens and salas.

BTW, in addition to the compaction, don't forget the settlement. Surprised we haven't all sunk to Chicago by now :o

Good luck and enjoy your new land.

Cheers

Ah icy now it was a range that's why I misunderstood - between 5,000 - 100,000,000 per rai... with ya now sorry about that.

My wife has been told about some land in Udon Thani opposite where her Aunt lives - there are 2 plots one for 2,000,000 and the one we are interested in for the same size is 900,000 special offer as they are related to our aunt's husband... just wanted to make sure we were not being ripped off. The reason the bit we want is cheaper is the other one has already been levelled off and just needs to be built on.

Thanks for your help,

HH

PS sounds a good price to me.

It sounds expensive to me!, my mate bought a brand new 2 story, 4 bedroom house on 1/2 Rai of land for 650,000 Baht - In Udon Thani.

I added an extra 2 meter height to 7 Rai in Phuket and it cost me 850,000 Baht.

How big are the plots of land you are talking about?, I also have a mate in real estate (no commision needed) in Udon, I could pass his name to you, via PM - I am sure he can give you the right valuation.

Yeah sorry forgot to mention that the size is 1 Rai.... Thanks for everybody's concern and I wouldn't say I am paranoid but very wary. I cannot find any english speaking lawyers in Udon Thani. At the end of the day my Wife (who is Thai) wants to buy some land for the future and we probably won't build on it and if we do it'll be 15-20years from now.... she wants to invest and it will be her money paying for it mine is paying for the house we have in England :o

Gentleman - yes a PM would be fine look forward to hearing from you. I have been in touch with FBI and Udon Real Estate via the web.... some of their prices seem high from what you have mentioned.

Thanks again everybody appreciate all your responses.

HH

The uncle of my wife offered me resently 1 rai for 150,000, after a talk with father, it's between 110,000 - 150,000 depending how much I smile. :o so :D:D:D

1 other thing is far as i know a farang can not own more then 1 rai, if i found out more, i will let you know

The uncle of my wife offered me resently 1 rai for 150,000, after a talk with father, it's between 110,000 - 150,000 depending how much I smile. :o so :D:D:D

1 other thing is far as i know a farang can not own more then 1 rai, if i found out more, i will let you know

sounds about right on price! A Farang cant own any land, unless he has an elite card or is BOI registered or has a company to place it in. I think Doc or IT know the exacts on this stuff.

Need to check with the Wife again about the size I am sure she said 1 Rai but she could also be mistaken - I have checked out other sites like FBI and founf between 30,000 to 65,000 baht per Rai in and around Udon Thani....

Need to get more info from Thailand... Thanks again everyone.

Gentleman,

Could you PM me with your mates real estate details please unless it is one of the ones I mentioned before, Thanks.

HH

best to buy an existing structure with the associated land then you can calculate the area yourself. If you are upcountry the rai business will bamboozle if the land is undeveloped. Country folks are smart and can see you coming. Otherwise get a surveyor in and have them certify the area for sale.

Can anyone recommend a Solicitor/Lawyer/Surveyor/Help in the Udon Thani area who can speak English?

Thanks.

PS Spoke with the Wife and now I have explained the size to her she now thinks she has it wrong. I think this may end up going nowhere - better off using an agent when you can't speak the lingo well enough.

1,1 milj. difference just for levelling off sounds a little bit too much to me.

100 trucks of earth for about one rai will give i meter higher level.!

Sorry dutch, I beg to differ.

A 4 wheel standard truck capacity is 3.20 cubic metres (as dug) increasing to around 4.00 cubic metres loose earth. If compacted back this will increase the height of 1 wah of land by around 0.75 metres.

So, if my maths are correct, to increase the height of 1 rai by 1 metre you would need (1/0.75 * 400) = 533 trucks.

My mate is in the business.

Thanx for the info Gentleman,

and as i promised from me, i found some info aswell about buying property in THL.

Buying property in Thailand for personal use or as an investment is a more complicated process than in many countries. Before proceeding, it would be best to obtain advice from a reputable real estate agent or from a lawyer. This will save you time and avoid frustration.

A good start would be to read a book called "Laws governing the Acquisition of Immovable Property by Aliens in Thailand". Yes, foreigners are called Aliens. This publication has been compiled by Sansiri Public Company Limited and is available for Baht 450 in most bookshops. If you cannot find it, call Sansiri PCL, Legal Department, at 201-3812 and ask how you can get a copy of it.

Since 1971, a foreigner (an alien) or a majority-owned foreign company cannot own land or land with buildings in Thailand. Foreigners can own condominiums but more about that later. In May 2001, however, the Amendment Land Code Act came into force and does make an exception. The Act's relevant points translate as follows:

"Aliens wishing to acquire land in Thailand must bring foreign currency into Thailand for certain types of investments in an amount to be specified in ministerial regulations which shall in no event be less than 40 million Baht and obtain permission from the Minister of Interior. Any aliens meeting such requirements may be granted permission to own land in an area not exceeding one (1) rai for residential purposes."

Land Measurements in Thailand

Land in Thailand is measured in talang wah, ngarn and rai.

1 talang wah = 4 square meters

100 talang wah = 1 ngarn or 400 square meters

1 rai = 4 ngarn or 1,600 square meters

In other words:

1 acre = 2.529 rai

1 hectare = 6 rai and 1 ngarn

• 3 years later...
best to buy an existing structure with the associated land then you can calculate the area yourself. If you are upcountry the rai business will bamboozle if the land is undeveloped. Country folks are smart and can see you coming. Otherwise get a surveyor in and have them certify the area for sale.

This is very expensive land as I see it. 2 million baht is over 57,000.00 usd. At 2.5 rai per acre you are paying approx. $143,000.00 for this land per acre? Wow, been in Thailand long?

1,1 milj. difference just for levelling off sounds a little bit too much to me.

100 trucks of earth for about one rai will give i meter higher level.!

Sorry dutch, I beg to differ.

A 4 wheel standard truck capacity is 3.20 cubic metres (as dug) increasing to around 4.00 cubic metres loose earth. If compacted back this will increase the height of 1 wah of land by around 0.75 metres.

So, if my maths are correct, to increase the height of 1 rai by 1 metre you would need (1/0.75 * 400) = 533 trucks.

My mate is in the business.

A 10 Wheel dump truck is aorund 15-18m3 fully loaded (overload according to the police) so work on 10m3 to be safe.

Prices average 700B per truck load.

1 rai raised 1 metre

1600m2 x 1.2(20% compaction factor) = 1920m3 / 10m3 per truck = 192 truck loads

call it 200 truck loads @ 700B per truck = 140,000B per metre per rai.

My family here build roads for a living.

Cheers,

Soundman.