Star Alliance And Thai Airways

Mekong Bob

I have accumulated a couple of hundred thousand miles with United Airlines over the past 10 years, and now I'd like to use those miles in the region (Bangkok, Vientiane, Hanoi, Yangon, Singapore, etc.). To get to these places from Chiang Mai, I will need to turn to another Star Alliance member airline - Thai Airways / Thai International. As a Chiang Mai resident, it is not surprising that many of my Mileage Plus miles were earned by flying United and Thai Airways.

A friend has informed me that Thai Airways does not accept United Airlines' Mileage Plus miles. True?

Does anyone have current experience with TG on this matter? Thanks.

Just don't use those miles for ECONOMY-class redemption tickets, as the fees, taxes and fuel-surcharges will make the "free" ticket more expensive than a regular paid ticket on a budget-carrier or even on a legacy-carrier.

do yourself a favour and burn those miles in Business class and have a good time on board

Edited by THAILIBAN
  • Like 1

You're right Thailiban. "Free" tickets on Thai are often ridiculously expensive. My experience is that the best use for miles on TG (either UA mileage plus miles or Thai frequent flyer miles) is to get upgrades. For example, I flew TG to London, paid for an economy ticket and upgraded to business class using UA Mileage Plus miles

If you've already departed for Thai airline office, you probably found out they cannot do anything for you. You have to go thru United. And you can do that online. I've used my United miles last year on Thai, just flying domestically though.

If things have changed, please let us know.

You can do it yourself on the United site. For example, put CNX (then select Chiang Mai) and Han (then select Hanoi), pick a date, number of passengers and click on 'award travel'. The system will show you the availiable Star Alliance flights and how many miles and how amount of the passenger fees. You can select one-way and make a loop trip instead of having to do a return. United updated their system mid-year last year and I imagine they are now getting less calls.

I'm interested to learn how you've accumulated them over the past 10 years, without them expiring on you....

Also, I ended up burning my United points on upgrades, ditching my (expiring anyway) United status and switching to Thai Air. Even tho they are both Star Alliance, it makes things much easier (points redemptions, upgrades, counter assistance, etc) when Thai is your primary airline.

-Mestizo

I'm interested to learn how you've accumulated them over the past 10 years, without them expiring on you....

-Mestizo

That's easy. They never expire if you are and continue to be a mileage plus credit card holder.

Ah I see how it works. I lost many thousands of United miles during the years I lived in Europe as the time ran out on them. But I got the monthly email statement. Never had a mileage plus credit card.

I booked Thai Airways flights recently using United Frequent Flyer miles. Very easy to do so IF you do it on United's website. I checked several destinations and found a really good deal on using miles to book Business Class flights on Thai Airways, Bangkok - Jakarta and return (depending on supply and demand they sometimes allow deep discounts on the miles needed for Business Class). As I recall the difference between economy and business class miles wasn't much on that route for my dates (not true on other destinations I looked at).

Just login to your account on United's website, and enter your point of origin and destination. If United flies those routes that will be the first option, if not it will be a partner airline such as Thai (assuming they have a Star Alliance partner serving that route).

Took about 5 minutes and I got instant confirmations on the flights

I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I believe if you fly with United or a Star Alliance partner and put on your United mile plus account - that each time you fly your expiration date of your miles is extended for 18 months. If no activity within 18 months, then you loose them. Also, not sure about this, you may be able to get the expiration date of your miles extended by buying/using your miles on United's online store. I bought a clock online but don't remember is the expiration date was extended at that time or when I flew with them.

Something to check out...

I booked Thai Airways flights recently using United Frequent Flyer miles. Very easy to do so IF you do it on United's website. I checked several destinations and found a really good deal on using miles to book Business Class flights on Thai Airways, Bangkok - Jakarta and return (depending on supply and demand they sometimes allow deep discounts on the miles needed for Business Class). As I recall the difference between economy and business class miles wasn't much on that route for my dates (not true on other destinations I looked at).

Just login to your account on United's website, and enter your point of origin and destination. If United flies those routes that will be the first option, if not it will be a partner airline such as Thai (assuming they have a Star Alliance partner serving that route).

Took about 5 minutes and I got instant confirmations on the flights

Here's another brain-teaser for frequent fliers -

I am a MileagePlus (United) member and a (new) Royal Orchid Plus (Thai Airways) member. Which of these frequent flier programs offers the best mileage awards deals when flying on Thai Airways, domestic or international?

Until recently, I was naïve enough to think I could simply "migrate" all my accumulated MIleagePlus miles to my Royal Orchid Plus account when I retired in Chiang Mai, and then use these "Star Alliance" miles to fly Thai Airways throughout the region. No such luck. One good thing is that the MP miles can be used to buy Thai Airways tickets . . . at United rates.

Next time I fly Thai, I'll need to decide where my earned miles should go - Thai or United.

In the meantime, I need to check out the both of these programs.

Anyone had any current experience on this? Many thanks!

• Like 1