Samui Express To Cease Publication

It might have helped if they actually reported about things happening on Samui instead of 6 pages of American oriented news.

These are either in the public domain and thus free or were taken free from some USA Christian publication . . . the operative word is 'free'.

The big big problem is that when a paper only runs every four weeks (and so all it's content has to be ready for press 6 weeks before it appears) then it is not a NEWS paper. It is absolutely doomed to failure. It might hold its own as a 'community magazine ', perhaps, but even the very good Samui Community Magazine couldn't survive. Samui just isn't big enough to support papers like they have in Phuket or Pattaya.

R

It might have helped if they actually reported about things happening on Samui instead of 6 pages of American oriented news.

These are either in the public domain and thus free or were taken free from some USA Christian publication . . . the operative word is 'free'.

The big big problem is that when a paper only runs every four weeks (and so all it's content has to be ready for press 6 weeks before it appears) then it is not a NEWS paper. It is absolutely doomed to failure. It might hold its own as a 'community magazine ', perhaps, but even the very good Samui Community Magazine couldn't survive. Samui just isn't big enough to support papers like they have in Phuket or Pattaya.

R

There is plenty of news I think they are understaffed

With this minimum wage I expect allot if business closing

R

There is plenty of news I think they are understaffed

With this minimum wage I expect allot if business closing

You're missing the point.

Yes - they were certainly understaffed - no doubt.

But when they can only report in each new edition what happened 6 weeks ago - who, really, wants to read that?

We know it all already - and with a lot more information too - because we read all about it on ThaiVisa a month ago!!

R

A Thai visa national paper might be worth considering

With sections for each forum area

No possibility of a daily or weekly edition - far, far too expensive - so it comes out every month.

Transcribing what's already online into hard copy/uniform text. Proofing Big C's English so it's readable. Adding photos, cos nobody will buy it without pictures. Laying it out in Adobe so it is all uniform and consistent. Editing and proofing time and costs plus graphic designer costs. Mailing several DVDs to Bangkok for printing (too much data for online transmission). Reviewing printers proofs. Printing costs. Return mail costs and collection. Several thousand copies to distribute - to where and by who? (No point in having a national edition as very few people will buy it even for their local news.) Distribution costs - petrol and time. Collection of sales money - time and costs.

And that's just for one local edition. It couldn't be centralised due to huge numbers of papers being sent all over the country and the dozens of teams that would be needed simply to distribute all this and collect the revenue.

And then the basic reality that it's all old news and 6 weeks out of date anyway.

100% not a viable proposition.

What would be REALLY GOOD IDEA is to have all this info an news online. Oh - wait a mo - we got that already!

R

Edited by robsamui

Being an English language publication alone isn't enough to thrive here; they also need knowledge of English/Western Culture!

SE lost any credibility they may have had with their readers/advertisers by printing graphic photos deemed unacceptable to the western palate; particularly when the deceased was known & respected locally.

This has been a long goodbye but it was not entirely unexpected.

it would also add status if the English it was written in was even adequate. The letter from the General Manager was essentially illiterate and would not have gained a good grade at GCSE English in the UK - and that's an examination geared to 16 year-olds. (There must have been at least 30 grammar, spelling and punctuation errors in it.) I understand that many reading the paper have English as their second language, but that's no reason to accept third best. Having at one point spent 19 years as a senior teacher in the UK, the quality of English-usage by foreigners is usually higher than 80% of native English speakers.

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

R

I thought it was published fortnightly? I've been away for a while but it certainly used to be.

R

I thought it was published fortnightly? I've been away for a while but it certainly used to be.

Was it? Apologies if so, but it always seemed to appear in 7-11 every month. Maybe that's the other paper?

Same concept of old news still applies, though - stuff that happened three weeks ago just aint of interest!

R

it would also add status if the English it was written in was even adequate. The letter from the General Manager was essentially illiterate and would not have gained a good grade at GCSE English in the UK - and that's an examination geared to 16 year-olds. (There must have been at least 30 grammar, spelling and punctuation errors in it.) I understand that many reading the paper have English as their second language, but that's no reason to accept third best. Having at one point spent 19 years as a senior teacher in the UK, the quality of English-usage by foreigners is usually higher than 80% of native English speakers.

R

She's American.

• Like 1

As Rob mentioned, we have a pretty good network of members , that keep us informed. Most important factors re weather, electric, flooding etc as reported almost instantaneously.

Other stories are reported & discussions take place.The beauty of it , you do not have to write a letter to the editor about a story & perhaps the inaccuracies in it & wait a month for a reply if you get one.

We all keep ourselves pretty well informed about local & national issues.

PD : English is my third language ( just in case )

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 2

Good riddance. It was one of the most negative, poorly laid out papers in the world. More than half of the "content" was syndicated non-sense of no relevance or interest to people in Thailand. The Samui Gazette is much better.

@Rob #14;

SE was a fortnightly publication, then it became 3 weekly, followed by the hit-and miss affair seen of late. All of them (Gazette & Southern Times too) failled to adhere to their publishing dates,which in turn has contributed to their demise.

Edited by evadgib

I sort of wonder why they bother to actually publish a "hard copy" of this paper in this day and age!!! Especially when it takes that long to publish....

Why not just a web version, (it's not that bad as a web newspaper now, in layout etc! )

.... Surely that could be kept much more current?

I sort of wonder why they bother to actually publish a "hard copy" of this paper in this day and age!!! Especially when it takes that long to publish....

Why not just a web version, (it's not that bad as a web newspaper now, in layout etc! )

.... Surely that could be kept much more current?

You have phuket wan and pattaya 103 who have daily news online and no paper , probably more add revenue online as well

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I am going to miss the Sudoku and crossword. It's hard to find good bathroom material over here.

Tesco sells toilet paper! biggrin.png

actually now I think about it the editor /owners of SE are from the Philippines not USA wink.png.... or was that the other paper? wink.pngwhistling.gif

Think you're right Jimmy, Express, Philippines, Gazette American although Patrick Roxas (a Philippino) moved from the Express to the Gazette as chief reporter/editor or similar title.

I am going to miss the Sudoku and crossword. It's hard to find good bathroom material over here.

actually now I think about it the editor /owners of SE are from the Philippines not USA wink.png.... or was that the other paper? wink.pngwhistling.gif

Think you're right Jimmy, Express, Philippines, Gazette American although Patrick Roxas (a Philippino) moved from the Express to the Gazette as chief reporter/editor or similar title.

]They all move around, he now moved to another paper Southern News? Gazette was up for sale , an interest ( Philippino ) put a deposit but nothing else happened as far as I know.

]They all move around, he now moved to another paper Southern News? Gazette was up for sale , an interest ( Philippino ) put a deposit but nothing else happened as far as I know.

Rupert Murdoch should have put an offer into buy

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1