Dog Food Brands

T_Dog

Taste of The Wild (13 kg approx 3,500 baht)

Premium Edge (15 kg approx 2,400 baht)

Chicken soup for the Dog Lovers (15 kg approx 2,300 baht)

Eagle Pack (15 kg approx 2,300 baht)

belong, according that website, to the best dog foods. They all can be purchased at Ran Rak Sath Overseas Pet shop on the superhighway, in between the old Carrefour and the Makro. Just before the petrol station with the green leave and next to Tigerbeer's furniture shop.

All dog food available at super markets are (very) low quality.

• Like 1

I've been feeding my two dogs Tesco brand dog food (supplemented with table scraps) for nearly 8 years, and both of them are very healthy and active.

20 Kilos for 1,000 baht. wink.png

Because of the cost and avalibility of others, I use pedigree dry (only 1 star on your survey), all that they want (1000 baht/20 kilos), and supplement it with cooked chicken giblets and rice. I have 10 dogs, down from 23, and still spend over 7000 baht a month on food.

You can't trust the ratings on that website for use in Thailand. For many of the big brands the formulation of the food sold here is different from in the USA. Almost invariably the protein content is lower and the amount of grain higher. You have to read the labels for yourself and make your own decision.

The brands imported from the West don't have this problem, but are very expensive. A good compromise can be to use the locally produced food and supplement with fish and meat.

Try Bok Dok, various 15kg packs ranging from 400B upwards depending on protein content. Tried some of the 1000-3000B varieties but my clan shunned them. Makro sells Bokdok as their in-house brand - check the data at the bottom of the bag.

I feed mine BokDok once a day and the 2nd meal rice congee using sunflower oil with hamburger or fish.

A study was conducted years ago in the states (can't recall when) but the result was these dog foods were basically the same, and you didn't want to know exactly what went into them, despite the ingredient labels.

Tesco brand dog food pellets are aerated to better fill the bag.

Pet shelters using donations to pay B3500 for 13kg of dog food require a reality 'cheque': I realize nourishing food promotes health but how does one mange that say versus medication needs? Besides I thought they stressed a paleo diet in many cases.

Edited by jingjoke

I've got a dog in who was fed Bok Dog and some other cheap brand. He had skin, eye, ear and hip problems. He bit his owners. Change to a better diet has improved his skin, eyes and ears, his mobility and with it his mood and behavior. Since no signs of aggression or moodiness towards people. No behavior modification provided, only change of diet.

Also currently having two dogs in that are fed solely on Bok Dog, no other food has been provided by the care-givers. Both dogs have hair-loss around the eyes and top of nose, an indication of nutrient lack. The female eats feces, which can also be an indication of nutrient lack.

I do not know where you got the idea of "Pet shelters using donations to pay B3500 for 13kg of dog food" from, jingjoke.

In case you were referring to me, you obviously haven't done your homework properly.

And yes, I prefer to feed a raw food diet to my dogs, but not the paleo diet. Try to follow that myself, but the chocolate is just too tempting.

Yup read about that. Another reason to buy whole organic food in stead of processed and ready made.

But still ..... that chocolate ..... the devils' sweet. And he sure ain't gonna tell what's in there ...

BTW, it's LuckyDogs, in case you were referring to me. ... homework and such ... :P

Edited by Nienke

If u can and budget allows try to feed your dog organic food or better brand with no words such chicken : beef meat by products etc

Once you see that on the label, it really just means that the manufacturers are using meat fillers and bones etc from mill factories

Lots of the brands u see in supermarket are guilty of this and disguise it with a nice packaging of a happy dog.

My dogs love the frozen meat from Big C. There are two different brands in the price range between 23 Baht and 49 Baht per Kilo, ground Chicken, Pork and Beef. Cook it with or w/o rice. Chicken carcasses are 20 Baht or so per Kilo, femurs from pigs about 15 Baht per Kilo. Large dogs just love them. I don't bother with dry food anymore. Realized that my dogs regularly get loose stool when I feed the stuff, and it's way more expensive than unprocessed meat and bones.

If you feed you dog a diet based on BARF and monitor the stool to get the right balance of muscle-meat, offal & bone you will doing the best for your dog in terms of health and trouble free long life.

Dogs that do not eat bones have bad teeth, bad breath and gum disease. Also without enough raw bone in the diet they are prone to anal-gland problems, a friend's dog has been wearing nappies for two months until the vet at KK animal hospital guided him to a change in diet. Nice they were not promoting Pedigree tinned gloop.

Just look at the ingredients in tinned and kibble based "food" and you will understand why it is so bad. Much of the 'protein' that is listed is just blood and unwanted collective tissue from the slaughter houses. Blood turns brown when cooked, why do you think that every dog food product is roughly the same colour?

Dogs fed a BARF diet don't have loose smelly stool either.

I raised Goldens and used Sciece Diet or Ukanuba. It's available in Thailand, but usually through a vet and very expensive. Neither are or the list that your link goes to.

I only use Science Diet and Royal Canine for my dogs and cats. Both available, but as you said both expansive for 10-15kg bag-2000+ baht.

However i believe good quality food along with regular walks, keeps them healthy ie no Vet bills and live long life, not to mention soft and shinny coats, no bad smell from mouth and backside, well balanced so they do not go crazy after eating.

I have 2 oldies now, around 12 years old, both been on Royal Canine all their life and both look and act like puppies(no one believe they 12 years old)

Have another brand sold by Vet's here called Buzz https://www.facebook.com/BuzzDogfood

Vets say its pretty good, but can not find much info about it.

Made in USA and Australia according to the packaging.In Australia no one ever heard of it.

Funnily enough I was looking at this last week when my GF went and bought a bag (had run out and could not find what she wanted). I could not find any address/contact details on the bag and very little online other than the facebook entry which made me a little suspicious but she said it was mentioned a lot in the thai sites she was looking at.....

Have another brand sold by Vet's here called Buzz https://www.facebook.com/BuzzDogfood

Vets say its pretty good, but can not find much info about it.

Made in USA and Australia according to the packaging.In Australia no one ever heard of it.

Funnily enough I was looking at this last week when my GF went and bought a bag (had run out and could not find what she wanted). I could not find any address/contact details on the bag and very little online other than the facebook entry which made me a little suspicious but she said it was mentioned a lot in the thai sites she was looking at.....

Yeah, same here no info at all.

MY monsters liked the sensitive(cream color) bag but refused to eat the standard(red color bag)

Though they seem to refuse to eat any brand after being on it for a month, so i always must change.

Its like they know when the bag is finishing-just stop to eat, so off i go to buy a different brand and everything back to normal, until its almost finish and same hunger strike againbiggrin.png

Edited by lemoncake