The Chinese Are Coming: Thai Opinion

webfact

STREETWISE

The Chinese are coming

Achara Deboonme

30199787-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Over the weekend, when China and Chinese people around the world celebrated the Lunar New Year, many news updates inevitably had a Chinese theme.

In Thailand, we were told that spending over the New Year holiday would hit Bt45 billion. Tourism authorities were upbeat on the number of Chinese visitors to Thailand this year, expected to hit 3 million.

newsjs

It was a surprise that the Australian tourism authority also talked about the same thing. Despite the appreciation of the Australian dollar, official data shows that China last year leapfrogged the UK for second place, to account for 10.2 per cent of Australia's international tourism market, compared with 6.3 per cent in 2007. Hotel operators there are also feeling optimistic about the prospect of more Chinese visitors. The Novotel in Sydney now has green tea, Chinese TV channels and newspapers, and the staple congee in the breakfast buffet.

This will continue, given the forecast that by 2020 there will be 100 million Chinese tourists travelling the world. Three million this year for Thailand, the number could be more than 5 million by then.

They are everywhere. In Hokkaido a few years back, a Chinese lady greeted me in Mandarin (probably because of my small eyes, but certainly because of my complexion). She was part of a big tour group.

Chinese issues have become regular news for Thais. Just as Asean is to implement regional integration, all eyes are on regional disputes with China over islands believed to be located on top of vast gas and oil deposits.

Ahead of US President Barack Obama's visit to Thailand, there was concern that our "too-friendly" approach may upset China.

To prepare for the "Chinese" tourist invasion, many companies offer free training courses in the language. The Economic Reporters' Club also sponsors reporters taking similar courses at any school. I'm not included, though. Trying it in my free time, I became convinced it is too difficult for someone older than 40 with daily work. A tip from a banker who has spent a few years in Thailand: Ignore all the characters and focus only on sentences that can make your life easier while in China or when interacting with the Chinese.

My favourite radio programme, famous for English-language country songs, last weekend also featured Chinese country songs.

Hua Chiew University for years has built up a big library of Chinese textbooks and decades-old journals. It also as a section devoted to traditional Chinese medicine. If you want to know about the power of "chi" energy, nothing is better than a book written by a Chinese expert.

In a country with a recoded history that dates back 4,000 years or more, there is a lot to learn from. As I learnt from a set of rare books at Hua Chiew University, ancient Chinese gurus did a great job of keeping records. In one book of plants, they had illustrated the plants and detailed their properties as well as the right propagation methods. I also enjoyed Chinese fables. My favourite is the story of Lord Buddha and a female spider.

Here's the story: There was a spider in a temple compound. She was dreaming about a man but ignored the tree that gave her shade. When the Buddha saw the spider, he asked what was the most valuable thing and the biggest cause of sorrow in one's life? She replied, "To have what we want and to lose what we treasure."

A thousand years passed and the Buddha asked her the same question. She gave the same answer. The Buddha then suggested that she be born as a human, and caused that to happen. The spider was born into a noble family and, as a teenager, met the man she loved (in a reincarnated form, of course). She was convinced that he would love her in return, but he ended up marrying a princess. The girl became engaged to a prince, whom she ignored. She was tormented. But the Buddha revealed that the prince in his former life was the tree at the temple, which took good care of her, and in this life would do so again. Then the Buddha asked her the question again. The spider was enlightened. "The most valuable thing in one's life is the present (which ones need to nurture). Then, there is nothing to be sorry about when the present becomes the past."

I was reminded of Chinese period dramas, when words form quotes that can take you days to decipher. Take this example: "Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness", from Sun Tzu, the author of The Art of War. Many quotes of his can still be applied today, like "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer", and "A leader leads by example, not by force". I am convinced that William Shakespeare would have loved Sun Tzu.

China is something we can't avoid. The Chinese population is 1.4 billion, or 20 per cent of the world's total. A belated happy Lunar New Year!

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-12

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Chinese are coming" ?

I thought they were already here, had been for many years.

They settled the place and were known back then as Chins. Thailand's recorded history is printed and dates back 40,000 years. An interesting read, especially from Rama I onwards.

40,000 year old printed history in Thailand? Really?

• Like 2

They settled the place and were known back then as Chins. Thailand's recorded history is printed and dates back 40,000 years. An interesting read, especially from Rama I onwards.

Oops. Maybe you meant 4,000 years? Historians agree that the entire span of all recorded history is roughly 5,000 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_history

http://www.discoverythailand.com/history.asp

• Like 1

Yes, and they brought corruption and Face from the very beginning to the once ancient Thailand.

So in other words you can say that Thailand did get colonized, right under the table cloak, by the same Chinese-Thai ancestors that brought this corruption culture here in the first place..

• Like 1

The date next to the signature says March 12th 37.987 BC

There was this fake/joke roman coin with the BC date on it.

They have to travel in big numbers as it takes 4 to equal the spending of 1 westerner. With an average income of 5,000dollars a year not a lot to spend on holiday

Have you read some of the posts on TV by the big time spender farang? Complaining about not getting Thai discounts of a few baht (on principle of course) at some restaurants or parks. Some are apoplectic about spending a few extra baht to get documents photocopied at Immigrations.

Certainly the higher end westerners spend more than the average Chinese or the average western backpacker, but if you check out the average western tourist staggering around Walking Street or Khao San Rd or Patpong, they are not going to make a big difference to the Thai GDP and certainly don't spend 4 x what the average Chinese spends.

The people traveling here from China or India are not the ones earning the gross national income per capita of $4,940 or less, anymore than the Brits who come here are likely to be those who David Cameron refers to as:" feckless couples who have children and expect to live on state handouts."

http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2KfYCFNYm

Absolutley right - foreigners, especially all those worthless farangs should pay a premium on everyhting for the privelage of being allowed to tread the hallowed turf of this truly amazing country. What's more, they should smile politely while being scammed of large amounts of money for bogus damage, imaginery offences and failing to observe rules of which they are not notified and which can be changed at a whim. And if they don't like it they can go, once all their money has been fleeced from them.

Have you thought of a career in politics?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Thanks for teaching us so much about yourself, Achara. It's very interesting. However, you forgot to tell us what your favorite color is, and what you thought of Chinese New Year when you were just a little girl.

" (probably because of my small eyes, but certainly because of my complexion)." - Face is so important, don't you think.....

They have to travel in big numbers as it takes 4 to equal the spending of 1 westerner. With an average income of 5,000dollars a year not a lot to spend on holiday

Thankfully you are not involved in the tourism industry or at least I hope your not.

Chinese tourists in Korea spent PER PERSON on average ($1,558) and outspent American ($1292) and Japanese Tourists ($1072)

http://travel.cnn.com/seoul/shop/chinese-tourists-numbers-257445

• Like 2

More Chinese immigrate permanently to Thailand than any where else. The Red Chinese are buying food and mineral resources in many countries, besides owning the American treasury.The big red is expanding to a country near you in many numbers. With the shortage of Chinese women from the one child rule, it is desperately seeking out Asian countries to further dominate in the future. Best start learning some Chinese.

Have you read some of the posts on TV by the big time spender farang? Complaining about not getting Thai discounts of a few baht (on principle of course) at some restaurants or parks. Some are apoplectic about spending a few extra baht to get documents photocopied at Immigrations.

Certainly the higher end westerners spend more than the average Chinese or the average western backpacker, but if you check out the average western tourist staggering around Walking Street or Khao San Rd or Patpong, they are not going to make a big difference to the Thai GDP and certainly don't spend 4 x what the average Chinese spends.

The people traveling here from China or India are not the ones earning the gross national income per capita of $4,940 or less, anymore than the Brits who come here are likely to be those who David Cameron refers to as:" feckless couples who have children and expect to live on state handouts."

It is a question of spending in the local economy.

An average western tourist spends around € 100 a day, and stays in Thailand for 12-14 days

Most of that money is spend in the local economy

An average Chinese tourist comes for 5-7 days and spends around € 10 per day in the local economy.

The rest of the money needed for the trip is spent with Chinese tour operators who share with Thai Chinese operators against a certain amount of squeeze.

Now do the sums please?

China is the hand that feeds this country...the farang are just icing on the cake. I wonder what will happen to the local thugs when they abuse some kin fresh off the plane from the motherland....lets watch and see

Are you really serious?

Most of the export from Thailand goes to western countries.

I wonder how much Thailand exports to China, and how much China imports from Thailand.

I bet there will be a rather big difference.

It is a question of spending in the local economy.

An average western tourist spends around € 100 a day, and stays in Thailand for 12-14 days

Most of that money is spend in the local economy

An average Chinese tourist comes for 5-7 days and spends around € 10 per day in the local economy.

The rest of the money needed for the trip is spent with Chinese tour operators who share with Thai Chinese operators against a certain amount of squeeze.

Now do the sums please?

Quote OP, " official data shows that China last year leapfrogged the UK for second place, to account for 10.2 per cent of Australia's international tourism market, compared with 6.3 per cent in 2007. Hotel operators there are also feeling optimistic about the prospect of more Chinese visitors. The Novotel in Sydney now has green tea, Chinese TV channels and newspapers, and the staple congee in the breakfast buffet." So can't the Aussies do the sums? Why do they want them so much?

"recorded' history is printed. ... Really ...

Oops. Maybe you meant 4,000 years? Historians agree that the entire span of all recorded history is roughly 5,000 years.

http://en.wikipedia....Ancient_history

http://www.discovery...com/history.asp

No - 40,000 years is correct and like the other OP, read what is printed... recorded history is no different from (e.g.) Cromagnum man and that is about where it started. But then again I am not going to play ajarn here. Historical records and reconstruction of Thaland's past is very interesting if anyone cares to take the time to find it and read it. Cheers