What Qualifies As A Big Bike?

Gweiloman

I think the answer is very individual, if you've been riding a 100-125cc bike then a 250cc could be big to you, likewise 400cc looking at a 650cc upwards, but in saying that I think you're asking the wrong question, I classify bikes based on performance - the top of the tree being a superbike

Here are a few reasons why "big bike" doesn't work for me

You can have a 250cc Honda that outperforms a 1300cc Harley both in acceleration and top end

You can have a 250cc Honda that outperforms a 650cc Honda steed

You can have a 900cc Honda that is considerably quicker than 1300cc yamaha

1100cc Honda (considered a "superbike" topping 320kmph) that outperforms a 1800cc Harley the latter not being classed as a superbike or anything like it

You could go on with this forever but you get the picture "big bike" for me is a relative term "superbike" well that's a whole different ball game

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the answer is very individual, if you've been riding a 100-125cc bike then a 250cc could be big to you, likewise 400cc looking at a 650cc upwards, but in saying that I think you're asking the wrong question, I classify bikes based on performance - the top of the tree being a superbike

Here are a few reasons why "big bike" doesn't work for me

You can have a 250cc Honda that outperforms a 1300cc Harley both in acceleration and top end

You can have a 250cc Honda that outperforms a 650cc Honda steed

You can have a 900cc Honda that is considerably quicker than 1300cc yamaha

1100cc Honda (considered a "superbike" topping 320kmph) that outperforms a 1800cc Harley the latter not being classed as a superbike or anything like it

You could go on with this forever but you get the picture "big bike" for me is a relative term "superbike" well that's a whole different ball game

+1

you can measure it too many ways to come to any accurate conclusion

a dirtbike like a klx 250 or a crf250 is a "big bike " for any shortish person although it has almost no power

the ducatti diavel has a low seat which means even a small person might be able to ride it more easily than a klx

even though at a well tuned 1200cc a diavel has about 5 times the power to weight ratio

my friend recently traded a tiger explorer 1200 for a diavel because hes a short guy and for him the diavel is a perfect balance

for his leg size etc but the tiger was just too high and he ended up dropping it a couple of times because its harder to get leverage over a tall

bike if you have short legs

Completely arbitrary. Personally I feel it's 400cc. When I had my NSR150, it was referred to as a "big bike" by Thai's. Back in the states a bike must be 250cc or larger to be driven on the highways.

Depends entirely on the state. Some even regulate wheel size.

I think a good answer would be the number of CC for a bike to be allowed on Thai highway.

How much is it?

I don't believe there is a capacity limit, but I have both an SR400 and a GSXR1000. only one of them do I consider to be a "big" bike.

The vehicle limitation on highways is the speed limit, a vehicle must be able to achieve this limit safely, other vehicles are excluded from motorways not just small engined motorbikes

As large capacity motorbikes are now commonplace in Thailand the law needs revised

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

The vehicle limitation on highways is the speed limit, a vehicle must be able to achieve this limit safely, other vehicles are excluded from motorways not just small engined motorbikes

As large capacity motorbikes are now commonplace in Thailand the law needs revised

so a 250 CC is ok on a highway.

hi im trying to get some information about these moto meters which are supposed to begin use in bangkok soon would anyone with information please contact me regarding information have you heard of them? are they being used now? will they be useful in bangkok? thanks whosthat im a member here

The law that motorcycle are only allowed to travel in the first lane/ slow lane, should be fixed for bigger bike at can safely travel at speeds that most car can.

I was pulled over once and was told that I am allowed 3 lanes then later the same day I was pulled over again and was told I am only allowed to travel in the first lane. Vans, taxis, and bus park in the first and second lane. And even sometimes in the third lane, making it almost impossible to safely ride in the first lane.

There should be different laws for scooters, motorcycles, and big bikes on the road.

The law that motorcycle are only allowed to travel in the first lane/ slow lane, should be fixed for bigger bike at can safely travel at speeds that most car can.

I was pulled over once and was told that I am allowed 3 lanes then later the same day I was pulled over again and was told I am only allowed to travel in the first lane. Vans, taxis, and bus park in the first and second lane. And even sometimes in the third lane, making it almost impossible to safely ride in the first lane.

There should be different laws for scooters, motorcycles, and big bikes on the road.

all vehicles should drive on the left unless overtaking (same as in the UK) even motorbikes, I've never been ticketed once in 7 years and 80.000km for overtaking on the right - that means I'm going faster than trafic on the left no matter what it is, I was stopped once for said perceived offence while overtaking a line of lorries on the right - the cop just gave up

all vehicles should drive on the left unless overtaking (same as in the UK) even motorbikes, I've never been ticketed once in 7 years and 80.000km for overtaking on the right - that means I'm going faster than trafic on the left no matter what it is, I was stopped once for said perceived offence while overtaking a line of lorries on the right - the cop just gave up

When ever I am riding anywhere I am usually over taking everyone. And when the splits off for a bridge, I am alway driving in the 4th lane and cutting into the 5th lane splitting. I don't really drive on the right side of the 5th lane or second lane once on the bridge unless if I'm over taking a scooter that it also lane spitting.

The only time I'm ever stopped is when there is a check point and then I just drive in the left lane getting ready to be pulled aside if the police decides to. I've never had to pay on my motorcycle but the car is a different story.

There was one time that I was splitting lanes between the 2nd and 3rd lane. There was a random check point or just to cops on the side of the road trying to pull people over. The traffic pace was to fast when one if the cops tried to flag me down and almost ran in front of another car and I didn't have a safe place to pull over safely to I just continues riding.

Completely arbitrary. Personally I feel it's 400cc. When I had my NSR150, it was referred to as a "big bike" by Thai's. Back in the states a bike must be 250cc or larger to be driven on the highways.

Depends entirely on the state. Some even regulate wheel size.

shock1.gif It's the land of the free

Edited by VocalNeal

Think most westerners would consider 250 and below to be starter bikes. From above 250 to the less powerful 600/650 would be middle sized bikes. The supersport 600 and greater are big bikes.

But that's for road bikes. What of dual sport/off road bikes? I would propose that 400+ for those are big bikes.

As been stated time and again; which country are you speaking of? The more affluent, and dare we say sensible (that's a freebie for you jonny) in their tax laws countries it is a smarter decision to start off on a 'bigger' bike than the 'poorer' countries. Were most people can afford 100-125cc bikes and no more, anything bigger is a luxury and thus deserves the 'big' title...

Stupid thread, or am I just stupid for reading it and replying?

IMHO thought in terms of weight, over 400-450 pounds is a big bike. Over 650 lbs, hog....

Harley riders were shaken after riding my tuned 500 2 stroke dirt bike, a 225 lb bike, which was all crazy peaky power band (I still dream about that bike). And, at the same time, I was nervous riding their Softtail/sportster/FatBoy because of the weight.

Best definition I heard in Thailand: if your Thai mother in law can't pick the fallen bike up, than it's a big bike. :)

IMHO thought in terms of weight, over 400-450 pounds is a big bike. Over 650 lbs, hog....

Harley riders were shaken after riding my tuned 500 2 stroke dirt bike, a 225 lb bike, which was all crazy peaky power band (I still dream about that bike). And, at the same time, I was nervous riding their Softtail/sportster/FatBoy because of the weight.

Best definition I heard in Thailand: if your Thai mother in law can't pick the fallen bike up, than it's a big bike. :)